Balance Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002 | 11:35 PM
|
Balance Pipe

Ok, new here to F150 online, but have a question already.

I've got a 2002 SuperCab 4x4 FX4 with the 5.4L and I had dual exhaust put on it with less than 200 miles...Gotta make it sound like a truck...LOL.

Where I live, they don't enforce many smog laws, so my last couple of F150's I had dualed out with no mufflers at all and had true duals put on. No, I'm not a 17 year old (I'm in the 30 something croud) trying to keep the neighborhood up all night...it's like I just wrote, "gotta make it sound like a truck". Ok, so everyone follow so far, I have each exhaust manifold going into a converter then an individual custom pipe on each bank exiting behind each rear tire.

So finally, to my question; I've been told by a fellow employee who is real big on 5.0L Mustangs that the balance pipe or crossover pipe would help scavenge the exhaust and create more power. Can anyone help out with this? I feel I may have too little restriction on my intake/exhaust right now. I've got a K&N filter under the hood and they do breathe better. I think these Triton engines need (or want) a fair amount of backpressure).

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. My 99 F150 had the 4.6L and I had the same exhaust setup as this 2002. On the 2002, I tried a Flowmaster 40 series, but I couldn't tell it had an aftermarket exhaust unless I got on it pretty good. That exhaust lasted for 1 day then got yanked!

Old 04-03-2002 | 01:43 AM
Rumour has it that if you run true duals then stick to 2.25inch pipe, no larger. If you have a larger system already don't go hacking it out... you could cut out a 1ft section say ahead of the mufflers on either side and put in a 2.5 to 2.25 then back to 2.5 smooth transitions. Then you have your backpressure.

Flowmaster makes a universal h-pipe kit so you can balance both of your separate dual exhausts and "scavenge" more. Find them here: http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/we...erfMuff16.html
suggestion retail is $47.51 but you should be able to pickup the kit for less than that at your local performance shop. Has to be welded in though.

Anyone else have any suggestions for this fellow?

Quick Reply: Balance Pipe