catback or mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002 | 08:27 PM
|
Question catback or mufflers

Hi all,
I've got a question I was hoping some of you might be able to help me with. I did the chip, and the air intake, and from what I read on the forum the next step is to go after the exhaust. I'm considering going with the Magnaflow Cat Back set up but was wondering if I just change the mufflers will it give me the same horsepower gain. I'm not that concerned with the sound, in fact, I wouldn't mind it staying somewhat stock, but I'm hoping to gain a few more horses out of it . What do you all think ?

Old 04-09-2002 | 09:23 PM
Depends on looks

If you just care about performance, then just get the muffler.
A catback just adds the looks, if you look at you stock pipe behind the stock muffler you can see it's mandrel bent around the axle from the factory. Except at the very end where the tailpipe bend is.

Old 04-09-2002 | 10:19 PM
I just did the muffler on the stock pipes. Cost me less than $150 installed by a muffler shop. No complaints. With the filter and exhaust, i've gained a little more than 1 mpg. And the truck sounds good....

Old 04-22-2002 | 02:02 AM
Just do the muffler. I just installed the Gibson Sweptside single SS cat-back exhaust today and now I'm thinking about going back to the stock pipe and just putting in a Flowmaster muffler.

Old 04-22-2002 | 02:23 AM
Cool Cat back

I have the Gibson super truck exhaust and get looks whenever I get on the gas and it sounds great at idle too. I guess it all depends on what you like.

Old 05-15-2002 | 07:08 PM
What about muffler mounts

On my Expy, I noticed the stock muffler has a bracked that connects to the frame. If you replace the muffler, how do you go about retaining that bracket that is welded to the muffler? I'm afraid without it there will be vibration. I assume the cat back systems have the bracket already.

Old 05-15-2002 | 08:13 PM
Tenderpaw, you are correct. The bracket welded to the muffler is removed from the grommets with the muffler. My exhaust kit came with a new bracket that wrapped around the new muffler and installed in the stock location. Not to worry.

Old 05-15-2002 | 11:30 PM
Check with Midas first on price, I got the Ravin 3" system installed with catback for under $200. I couldn't buy all the parts for that amount let alone put it all in. The sound doesn't blow your ears out it is a nice low rumble and at idle you can't even really hear it.

Old 06-14-2002 | 12:48 PM
Cool Listen to a clip at www.geocities.com/seebeew

You can listen to many systems on alot of vehicle. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: catback or mufflers