Midas and Hangers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002 | 05:35 AM
|
Midas and Hangers

I am really thinking of getting my dual exhaust done through Midas but I always bag out after I make an appointment because I hear that they use crappy hangers and cause you to always go back to get it fixed. My buddy had to take his truck back 2 times in 3 months since he had his done from them... Anyone else having this same problem? I really was impressed with the 2 1/2" raven exhaust system using the Z55 muffler. It sounded excellent, however I dont want to have to go back every couple of months because they do not know how to weld right or dont use "REAL" hangers. Has anyone felt the same way and if so has anyone tried asking to see if you got the hangers if they would use those instead of their cheap wire hangers? If anyone knows where I could get some good hangers that would help as well. I know a guy here in town that does a good job but it takes forever in order to get into his shop. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2002 | 02:29 PM
MIDAS...

Had the Dual Exhaust on my '68 Ranchero done by MIDAS. I have a lifetime warranty on all related components on the Exhaust system.

I had one hanger replaced, the first 6 months I had the exhaust on. I told them exaclty what I wanted, and drew a picture of how I wanted it routed. Even had a crossover put on it. I am very happy with it.

If nothing else; I have lifetime warranty coverage at any MIDAS shop.

R1968

Last edited by Ranchero1968; 05-22-2002 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-23-2002 | 08:31 AM
IMHO, your best bet would be to go to an independant, local muffler shop. They do more custom setups and many of these guys are involved in racing and that gives them more experience on this custom work.

Creole

Old 05-23-2002 | 01:40 PM
I put a Raven 55 on my '99 4.6L a while back. Haven't had any problems and the exhaust sounds way better than any Flowmaster I've heard. It's a deep sound that is almost non-existent once you're going 70 mph. But at lower speeds and WOT it really is impressive.

Hanger problems with Midas. Not for me. And the construction of the Raven (wave pattern versus welded baffles) makes a difference in longevity.

Just personal experience. I had 2 Dynamax's prior to the Raven. Both Dyno's busted their welds within 2 months and it did nothing but produce a sheet metal rattling sound.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Raven 55.

- Dave

Old 05-24-2002 | 12:32 AM
midas orders there hangerfrom the same place as all the other shops in the area around it.. I would suspect that they have some one installing them wrong and not that the hanger are falty. after all how hard is it to make a "U" bar with threads on the end?

I used to work in a muffler and brake shop and when we ordered hanger is was "300 hangers" there were no different grades of hangers. the only different hanger I could thing of would be if you wanted stainless ones.

Steve

Old 05-24-2002 | 01:19 PM
dg9000

I've been running Dynomax since '94. Not once, have I had problems with their quality. One 3" I/O, Bullet muffler, and 3 different Super Turbo mufflers. They back their Muffler's, unlike Gibson.

Just my $.02...

R1968

Quick Reply: Midas and Hangers