Harley Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002 | 11:37 AM
|
Harley Exhaust?

I have a friend that replaced the exhaust on his 02 Screw ORP with the stock Harley exhaust. He said it was a simple swap but I question if the Harley exhaust is actually an improvement vs the stock muffler and tailpipe. His truck doesn't much louder although it looks good with the Harley tips. Should he have gone with something else?

Old 06-14-2002 | 01:11 PM
Thumbs up

I was poking my head under some '02 HD's one day and was surprised at what I saw. It's basically the same pipe routing, but they did not have the dreaded "Y" pipe. The driver's side had a 90 degree bend and ran parallel with the pass side into a DI/DO muffler. Looked like it was all 2.5" pipe too. The "L's" are the same, just the tail pipes exit in front of the rear tire.

Went to the parts guy and asked what that setup would cost...... He said it was over a grand for the drivers side and not much cheaper for the pass side. Then he started saying that putting this setup on a non super charged motor would loose you too much low end power and on and on........

Really liked the way they had that dual setup however. Maybe with some 2.25" pipe, it would work........

Old 06-15-2002 | 01:24 AM
I like my stock HD exhaust. I currently have 16k miles and it has steadily improved since my purchase last year.

Old 01-23-2003 | 08:45 PM
Sorry to dig this post up from the dead but I just picked up a Harley Davidson Exhaust from a guy locally for pretty cheap and I was looking to see if anyone else has attempted this before.

Greg Mc, did your friend fab up a custom H-Pipe or did he get a Harley H-Pipe as well?

MitchF150, I don't think going with a 2.5" exhaust is going to kill power as much as the parts guy says. If it was 3" I would be concerned but not 2.5". I'm almost temped to have the truck dyno'd before and after the exhaust.

Old 01-24-2003 | 12:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

The factory Y pipe would need to be removed all together, and the driver's side routerd to run next to the pass side.

Here is a pic of a HD with a Bassani cat back on it.
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...028-46995.jpeg

You can see the color change to the pipe, where the old and new are at.

I am just getting into this with a Bassani dual set for a L on my 01 SCrew.
Just got 2 90* elbows and 4' of 2-1/2" stainless.
The short list above is ~ $300.00 for the parts alone.
still have to take them to a shop and have the parts belled and put on so the Bassani X pipe goes on, then extend a short bit to the dual mufflers.

So you are looking at having to remove the factory Y pipe, and put in somethign similar to this.

All in all, at least $400.00 by time you get done with hangers, etc. on this, with what ever you paid for the HD system.

Next option is if you are going with a X pipe before the DO/DI muffler. That is something you would need to check with someone else on. Tuners say do the X regardless if you are doing a DI/DO or 2 SI/SO mufflers.

Hope it helps, if not, let me know I'll try again.

Old 01-27-2003 | 11:42 PM
Man, that's a lot of cash. More than what I was thinking about spending anyway. I would think if I can locate a factory HD pipe it would work fine for me.

Old 01-28-2003 | 12:07 AM

I must be confusing the system you are talking about.

I thougth that the HD system was a DI/DO muffler.
This is why I mentioned cutting the stock Y pipe on your truck.
Maybe I am missing something, but that URL above is a HD system, and the Bassani system is easy to pick out of the pitcure, with it being a newer pipe.

I hope I got it wrong, so you don't have a huge cost invested in this.

Also the pipe costs above are for 16 ga 304 SS, maybe a shop has easier component prices, with something other then 16 ga-304 pipe, and bend it to shape.

good luck with finding it out, and getting it on.

Let me know if I got that wrong.

Old 01-30-2003 | 03:05 AM
You got everything right, just cost a little more than what I thought. Maybe the X-Pipe and the SS might be running up the costs a bit. It will probably be a few weeks before I get this going but I'll post back my results.

Old 01-30-2003 | 07:41 AM
APT
I think Your estimate may be a little high, Sccully. I thought someone else on here found a 7' stainless 2.5" pipe for $75 at Summit. The site is down right now so I can't verify that. THey should have 90" elbows and maybe an x-pipe. I don't know if Magnaflow's elbows and x-pipe are stianless, but they cost $22 and $65 respectively.

Old 01-30-2003 | 09:25 AM

APT,

Not an estimate, that is what my total was from Mike.
16 gauge 304 stainless steel parts, 2 90* elbows and 4' of pipe.

The parts you have listed below are the AL parts.

The 7' chunk of SS pipe I seem to recall that as from JC Witney, and I don't know what the gauge was on it, or the SS make up was.

I wanted to make sure I had the 16 ga 304 SS pipe and elbows.
The X pipe was in the Bassani kit itself, so I did not need to buy that.

The reason I got my parts from Mike rather then a shop, is I want to keep the same material used in the system the same, for the heat of the gas flow, to keep the flow rate up through the X pipe.

I knew I was not too far off my rocker when Mike started telling me the same thing when quoting the prices on the stuff, as to why it was so high cost for the parts.

So while this might be a purest approach to a converting to a dual system, it is the way I have taken.

You could find a shop that has SS pipe of one flavor or another, and have then bend it all themselves, but this is not the way I wanted to go. I got nice bent 90* pipe that only needs to be belled to fit the system, then weld away with the ramainder to get the dual outputs off the cats at the length needed to match up to the Bassani due to the length delta of the L vs the SCrew, albeit small.

Hope this answers your questions on the cost of the parts.

Quick Reply: Harley Exhaust?