Help! Police are crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2002 | 09:06 AM
|
Angry Help! Police are crazy!

Ok guys I need your help! I am asking everyone. I was pulled over this morning by a trooper that seems to have nothing better to do. He was already sitting on the side of the road and when I went by him I didn't even have my foot on the gas (I was in traffic and just coasting). He pulled me over and proceeded to tell me that my exhaust was too loud and a public disturbance. I told him I had been running glasspacks for 2 1/2 years with no problems and just recently went to this quieter muffler. He gave me a bunch of crap about it and then asked me to turn the truck on. I told him it was running. So he made me turn it off and then turn it on. Then he tried to tell me that it was a Flowmaster and didn't have the necessary baffles (which it isn't, it is an Xlerator). He told me if I didn't believe him he could write me a summons and we could discuss it with the judge.....yadda..yadda..yadda. Needless to say he told me I have 2-3 weeks to change them to stock or he would pull me over again and issue me a summons. So here is my question, where can I go to get information and written proof that my rig is ok and legal. I go the same way to work everyday and I am sure Officer "I have nothing better to do" will see me again.

Thanks guys for any help you may have.

Itlyn Gld

1999 Flareside 4x4 ORP
4.6L with K&N filter and true dual exhaust
Xlerator Muffler (x-pipe built in)
33x12.50 MT HP's on 10"Ultra Type 50/51's

Please help guys, I don't want to give up my pipes!

Old 08-14-2002 | 11:25 AM
Noise from pipes...

Check your local laws and State laws, concerning decibal ratings of vehicle exhaust systems. Most states have a law concerning this subject. Check under "Noise Pollution"...

Good luck, R1968

Old 08-14-2002 | 11:28 AM
|
I called the State Police and the only answer I got from them was that it was at the discretion of the officer to determine if they are too loud. That seems like a bunch of crap to me. There must be something somewhere that will give me a decibel rating so I can get something on paper telling me if I am too loud or not. Damn this is frustrating!

Thanks for the reply though!

Old 08-14-2002 | 02:27 PM
hey man go to www.google.com and type in your town's name or something like this

"Phoenix Noise Polution Regulations"

or something along those lines -hope it helps! Good luck man, stupid cops with nothin better to do.

Old 08-14-2002 | 02:32 PM
Some states have laws that say any departure from stock configuration is illegal, others have an actual decible rating. Call your local Motor Vehicles and get the info in writing on one of their own letterheads. You'll most likely need to produce this document for the judge.

Good luck.

Old 08-14-2002 | 03:17 PM
These guys are right...

about the laws varying with the state or local ordinances. Unfortunately, in many states, it's left up to the discretion of the cop...no scientific criteria to base violations on.

When I got my '97 (which has a cat back system with NO muffler), I took it into town and got pulled over for going a bit fast, to pass some old hag in a Buick who was weaving all over her lane. When he heard my pipes (which are a bit loud when you get on them, but fine when you're not showing off), he went ballistic and read me the riot act about not having a muffler. I told him I had just bought it and didn't realize it didn't have a muffler (lie). He told me to get one, and then let me go with NO warnings, tickets or whatever. This was two years ago and I haven't run into him since. So, maybe you shouldn't worry. Or take a small detour.

I figure he was just having a PMS attack or needed a donut fix.

Old 08-14-2002 | 10:02 PM
Buy a decibel meter from radio shack and stand at the side of a big intersection and videotape the meter bounce when a Harley with a factory stock exhaust goes by (bike no the truck). Then measure yours.

I'm sure all you'd have to do is let the judge hear your exhaust and let him decide but usually they're on the side of the coppers.

Next time you get pulled over and he hassles you tell him something like,"My... your eyes are looking glazed over, must be time for a donut?"

Old 08-18-2002 | 04:22 PM
A stock harley exhaust won't even make the needle move. nobody buys a Harley and leaves the exhaust stock....75% are probably modded before they leave the showroom floor. A higher flow air cleaner, carb rejet (or EFI reprogram) and aftermarket mufflers or complete exhaust is known as "the harley tax" and almost everybody pays. I agree, most Harleys on the road are louder than most trucks with catbacks (I know my fat boy is) but a stock Harley sounds like a Honda 250.

Old 08-20-2002 | 02:27 AM
I dont know any thing about the noise laws or any thing to do with the regulations on exhaust. But, i do know that if the cop keeps bothering you , that you can file a harassment charge. And, more that likely if you get a lawyer then they will most likely not even go to court and just leave you alone. I was harassed for no mud flaps for the longest time by the same cop. He told me that the next time he saw me without them he would take my truck away (bull *****). I did put them on, but the next time that cop comes near me its gonna be settled in court.

Old 08-20-2002 | 07:09 PM
Knowing what state would help-

I heard Texas has the same thing, but if people in the great state o/Texas had to give up their duals, their'd be Hell to pay!!!

http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/air/ms/tampering.html

http://www.alternativeauto.com/water.../warranty.html

http://www.dakotart.com/faqarticles/magnuson-moss.htm

I'd be pi$$ed! I just had mine installed today!!!

Borla cat-back....

Magnuson-Moss prevents this kind of BS with regard to warranty, but I couldn't find anything with regard to noise pollution.

Heck, now-a-days, the average Honda Civic is louder at Idle than my F-150 SuperCrew w/Flowmasters on it..... When they get on thiers, I can hear it over my V-8 w/Flowmasters.....

Thoee import/tuner guys know this inside & out because I had to ask if their heavily modded Civics were even street legal, or warrantied anymore... They advised me, and even told me of the laws that protect you..... I just can't remember....

Go to www.speedmagazine.com . Once you cut through all the BS & Flamers, you can get some helpful info....

I'd suggest, in the meantime, keeping a box of Krispy Kreme's in the truck, or at least some Dunkin's.......

Man, I have friends that are doughnutters, but none that's pull anyone over for pipes... I know a guy in Louisiana that had the catalytic converter removed from his 2001 Silverado, now he's running straight pipes, no muffler.... Sounds great, but he's killing mosquitoes left & right!

Last edited by Bighersh; 08-20-2002 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2002 | 02:10 PM
I thought all the major brands of aftermarket systems were 50 state leagal just get what ever info you can get from the company that made your system showing its street leagal in all 50 states. And show that to the cop next time or the judge if it goes that far.

Old 08-22-2002 | 04:59 PM
nvr enuff,

First you should have said where you are from and someone probably would have search for you! The members here like to be helpful!

A good place to call would be the DMV if the State Troopers don't want to give you a real answer. Most of the time they don't know and don't want to look it up.

But it is never left to the Cop to decide! It is left to the Judge! A cop can give you a ticket for anything! Whether you did it or not! But he has to make a Judge believe him. If you went to a Judge with the DB he would dismiss it if it truly isn't loud!

If you live in a small town you might just want him to give you the ticket so you can have the Judge tell him that your exhaust is not a violation of the law. Because until that happens, he will probably use that as an excuse to pull you over anytime he wants! And you might not want that to happen.

Hope that helps!

And hmustang, The 50 State legal is just for emissions!

Old 08-22-2002 | 05:11 PM
dude

it's been 8 days since you posted this question...everyone is trying to help you..give us some feedback.

The cop is a jerk off

Old 08-23-2002 | 12:53 AM
Tell him to eat your dust!

Old 08-23-2002 | 03:55 AM
You would think the tropper would have some kind of law to go by. If it's all legal with cats and muffler etc....I wouldn't worry about it and take some pics of it into court with me.

Quick Reply: Help! Police are crazy!