Gibson vs. Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002 | 10:10 AM
|
Gibson vs. Flowmaster

How does Gibson compare with Flowmaster? Is it better quality? How about the sound?

Old 09-24-2002 | 03:15 PM
Gibson - Quiet. At least the Swept Side is. Can be ordered in a stainless steel version. Kinda expensive, even for the aluminized versions. Quality is probably the same. Some break, some don't. "Supposed" to increase, or at least maintain low end torque.

Flowmaster - Louder, but depends on the model you choose. Not seen them in stainless, but they probably exist. Lots of choices on styles and loudness. They sell a lot of them, so I'm sure they are quality pieces. Some have said that they felt a slight loss of low end. Really depends on the model, IMO, but you can 'free' up a trucks exhaust too much and loose some low end.

These are just my opinions based on what I have (Gibson) and what I've read about (Flowmaster). When I was researching what system to get.

Good luck out there. Sounds like you are going for the FM and a turn down anyway. Hope it works out for ya!!

Old 09-24-2002 | 03:19 PM
|
Thanks for the input. I actually can't decide what I want to do. Right now I'm leaning towards a full cat-back with a FM 40 Series and 4" tips....but in an hour I'll probably be on something else...

Old 10-11-2002 | 05:36 PM
Flowmaster hands down! I just took a Gibson off my truck, or shall I say it fell off. After to years of highway driving, that 14gauge muffler fell off from rust.

I replaced it with a 3"FMBigblockII muffler. It really sounds great. It's more quiet inside and louder outside, and, it's not just louder, the tone quality is better. More of a ballsy sound. I also have a FM Y that replaced the factory one, it works real good.

98 supercab Flairside 4.6
superchip
GenII K&N intake
3"FM BBII exhaust with 3"tailpipe

Last edited by HarleyD1; 10-12-2002 at 04:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Gibson vs. Flowmaster