magnaflow or flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002 | 11:38 AM
|
magnaflow or flowmaster

hi folks,

doing the homework before upgrading my 2001 Screw, i have been looking at various cat back solutions. don posted a great
magnaflow installation on his lightening, but i see a lot of
flowmaster products installed.

i wonder if anyone can comment as to the pros & cons
of chosing magnaflow vs flowmaster products?

all input appreciated, jackc...

Old 10-05-2002 | 03:35 AM
Cool

i guess it all depends on what you are looking for. if you care about sound then its all a matter of taste and i can't help ya.

but...i have heard from variouse people that the magnaflow is the only catback setup that will not loose any low end tourque. both will have gains in the high end...but the magnaflow is better down low. just my .02

Old 10-06-2002 | 10:07 PM
WLF
I will be able to let you know in about one week.
I am now running a Flowmaster 40 series out the side using stock pipes and Stainless tip. I recently damaged it (damn truck retreads) and am now looking to replace.

I decided to go with the MagnaFlow stainless 2 1/2 single in and 2 1/2 duel out the back. For one reason, I can't beat the price. I got the stainless MagnaFlow for about $20 less then the Flowmaster non stainless here

http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bige...oduct_id/16.htm

Another reason is the Flowmaster was very loud in the cab when towing at highway speeds.
I also got duel 2 1/2 pipes out the back (from MagnaFlow). I have already bought duel 3 1/2 stainless tips for the pipes.
I am hoping I don't loose too much of that nice rumble but am going to stick with my decision.
I will let you know as soon as it is installed.will let you know as soon as it is installed.

Last edited by WLF; 10-09-2002 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-16-2002 | 07:54 PM
|
thanks for your replies

howdy gents,

thanks for your replies(looking forward to hearing of the new install results).

sounds like magnaflow is the right answer.

i appreciate your time to reply, jackc...

Old 10-17-2002 | 09:50 PM
Flowmaster makes a new muffler called the delta 3 its a 3 chamber unit (not as load as the 2) and you will not loose your bottom end I have it on my truck and love it!
Walt out

Old 10-17-2002 | 09:51 PM
sorry cant spell today!

Old 10-18-2002 | 02:36 AM
I just put on a Magnaflow cat-back system on my 02 F-150 4x4 Screw with the 5.4L this week. I was a bit worried as this was the first mod to the truck...the only thing I'm angry about with the system is that I waited too long to get it!!

Better throttle response
Looks Great
Sounds Ballsy
Quiet at cruise speed
Improved performance from idle on up

I really can't say a bad thing about it.

Old 10-18-2002 | 11:09 AM
|
hey ZJumper, which model?

hi ZJumper,

thanks for your reply. any pix for your setup?

also, which magnaflow product did you select?

that is, what part number, etc?

did you get a one in dual out muffler perhaps?

thanks again, jackc...

Old 10-18-2002 | 11:24 PM
I got the MagnaFlow part number 15609. Purchased it from www.bigexhaust.com Ordered it one day and had it the next--gotta love a company (MagnaFlow) that will drop ship to you.

It's a single in/single out 3 inch muffler with 3" pipe up and around the rear axle--finished off by a 4" stainless exhaust tip.

Don't have any pics of it yet...

Old 10-19-2002 | 12:21 PM
I've installed the Magnaflow catback on my 01 Screw and love it! Been running it for almost a year now; sounds even better after 13K miles on it. The only problem I've experienced is keeping it clean - t requires alot of polishing.

Old 10-19-2002 | 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ZJumper
I got the MagnaFlow part number 15609. Purchased it from www.bigexhaust.com Ordered it one day and had it the next--gotta love a company (MagnaFlow) that will drop ship to you.

It's a single in/single out 3 inch muffler with 3" pipe up and around the rear axle--finished off by a 4" stainless exhaust tip.

Don't have any pics of it yet...
Wow, I was about to order this kit for my 01'Screw, Jegs sells the 15609 kit for like $534, bigexhuast its only like $379 . Glad I checked this post!!

Old 10-21-2002 | 09:02 AM
WLF
Well I Said I would report back and here goes.

I received my driver’s side pipe from Magnaflow on Thursday. It was not shipped with the muffler and passenger side pipe and required some phone calls to get straitened out.
I went with the 2-½” single in and 2-½” duel out stainless muffler with duel out the back exhaust pipes. The muffler I chose is part number 14218, which is the shorter 14-inch muffler. I chose this because I was worried any longer muffler would be too quiet. The duel pipes out the back are part numbers 15020/15021. They are not stainless since stainless is not offered in the mandrel bent pipes when sold separately. They are aluminized and appear to be quality pieces. The total of all parts through http://www.bigexhaust.com/ was $167.03 including delivery. Since this is not a package deal I had to purchase clamps and hangers. I also added two stainless tips for a total cost of $237 installed (by me).

I am glad I chose the shorter muffler. The Magnaflow is much quieter then the Flowmaster 40 (non-Delta flow) series I had on before with side exit. It does however have a nice growl under acceleration. This set-up is much more user friendly inside the vehicle. I went camping on the weekend (the last trip of the season) and towed my trailer about 100 miles each way. On the highway I could still hear the exhaust but I was not exhausted (pardon the pun) when I got there. Some of this quieter performance may be because the exhaust exits out the back.

Performance wise, I seem to have regained a little low-end torque. This is not a “grab you by the face” improvement but nice just the same.

The exhaust looks great with the duel 3 ½ “ X 12” stainless tips peaking out the back.

In conclusion, I will probably miss the deep growl of the Flowmaster 40 muffler. I will not miss the drone while towing. The Magnaflow is quieter but still has that performance note, more when accelerating. The duels out the back look great.
This install did require some skill to get the pipes in proper position. I also had to add a small extension to match the system up to the original after cat-back piping.

I am quite pleased with the results.

P.S. I will add a picture in the next couple of days if I can.

Last edited by WLF; 10-21-2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2002 | 12:46 PM
The muffler I chose is part number 14218, which is the shorter 14-inch muffler. I chose this because I was worried it would be too quiet
Great Post!

You made reference that there is a quiter Magnaflow muffler? Would you have that part number by chance? I am really thinking of welding one up to my stock setup, but want the performance over the sound level. Thanks!

-Brian

Old 10-21-2002 | 01:39 PM
WLF
There is an 18 “ 2 ½ “ in and duel 2 ¼ “ out that should be quieter (the longer muffler should have more sound deadening qualities). If you go to this page http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...duct_id/16.htm
You can see the different mufflers available as well as the prices.
If you are going to replace stock then order the single in/out 2 1/2" muffler that is slightly longer then your stock muffler so it can be installed after cutting off the stock piece.

Last edited by WLF; 10-21-2002 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-21-2002 | 02:12 PM
Thank you much!

Quick Reply: magnaflow or flowmaster