Ravin (Midas?) exhaust problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ravin (Midas?) exhaust problem

A couple of months ago I had the Z55 put on my truck. I asked that it be welded, as I didn't want any rattles...etc.

The teenaged half-wit that was there at the time assured me that the clamps were great, never had a complaint.....etc. He didn't seem very sure of himself though, I was pretty nervous seeing him touch my truck, but I had just driven an hour to get to Midas.

Anyways...within a week the thing is rattling like hell, sound similar to loose heat shield on a catalytic.

Since the Midas in question is almost an hour away from me, I wasn't very pleased with the situation! Since I was at the dealer for some other warranty stuff, they gladly threw another clamp on the whole works for a mere $30. Wasn't happy about that either, but didn't have time to mess with it myself, nor drive the hour to midas and complain.

So now a couple weeks after the dealer's bandaid was installed, it is rattling again!!!

My questions are:
Are clamps normally this unsuccessful in installing a replacement muffler? Is there thermal expansion things that happen with incorrectly installed clamps? Do they have to be tightened again after they are heated by the exhaust? Would I be unreasonable to go back to midas and have the teenagers working in the shop weld it up for me? Any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!

Last edited by YouPutz; 10-08-2002 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:20 AM
I would go back to the Midas and have them weld it in place. I have never used a clamp, always welded!

-Brian

Old 10-08-2002, 10:23 PM
I prefer welded, but I once bought a truck with an exhaust system on it that was clamped together. Sometimes when the clamps are put on, they're not "square with the pipe, so they tend to rattle loose. Anyhow, Midas should definetly fix the clamps at no charge, but do you really want a guy that can't install a clamp correctly to weld on your truck?

Old 10-10-2002, 03:52 PM
YouPutz,

How much did you pay for the muffler? Do you like the sound and performance(other than the rattle)?

Old 10-10-2002, 05:49 PM
The muffler installed was about $100. No complaints other than the rattle. Sound noticeably louder than stock, but not much louder in the cab.

I am taking it to a different Midas on Saturday to have it fixed, will try to get them to weld it.

Old 10-10-2002, 07:14 PM
i hope that..

the new midas is an hour in the other direction

Old 10-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Got it fixed yesterday.

Went to a different Midas, they welded everything, apologized for the moron at the other Midas, and was very professional. Very happy with it now.

They also welded on a stainless exhaust tip, which did change the sound. They put on a 3.5 inch tip on, and the exhaust seems noticably louder with it.

Old 10-22-2002, 10:33 PM
Youputz,
Hey fellow Wisconsinite & f-150 driver, Did you just put a muffler on or did you run dual's out the back ? Or do a single cat back system ?

Any difference in power ?

Fall

Old 10-22-2002, 11:42 PM
Just got the Z55 muffler, left all the stock pipes in place.

Not any noticable power change now. I pulled a trailer right after getting the muffler when it was over 90 degrees out, and the truck was very sluggish, but later found a software upgrade in the TSB section that addresses low power when hot. If there is a difference because of the muffler, it's not enough to notice though.

Had a stainless tip welded on the end of the stock exhaust, and that made a big difference in the sound.

In case anyone is interested, the bonehead Midas is the one on Hwy 100 and Greenfield in Milwaukee, and the decent one is right next to Best Buy on 76th street in Milwaukee.

Old 10-23-2002, 04:26 PM
Banned
I dont see why clamps wouldnt be ok. I have clamps on my exhaust as well as most the other lightning guys. The stock exhaust had clamps. Maybe it was just the type of clamp that was used. If its a strap type it wont work you need the ones that look like a bolt bent into a U shape. They hold up fine.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:55 PM
I've had clamps and they are fine if done right. The pipes have to be aligned, the clamps square, and the clamps have to be tight enough to compress the outer pipe onto the inner pipe. In some cases after they have been on a while they may as well have been welded and you can't get the pipes apart without a torch.

Quick Reply: Ravin (Midas?) exhaust problem