gutting cats

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2002 | 12:36 PM
|
Thumbs up gutting cats

Hey guys,

I posted this as well in the Exhaust systems forum too. I"m wanting too gut the cats on my truck. My rear one is going out, not dead yet, but I can tell the truck is losing power over a period of time for the last month. I'm thinking of doing it this way, any suggestions you want to throw at me, I'm all ears. I'm planning on cutting off the pipe that connects the 2 cats. I am going to leave the front preheater or whateever it is alone because I know the 02 sensor needs some backpressure to read off. Gut the rear cat by using a crow bar and a hammer. One of my best buddies suggested to me that I pour gas down the cat and light a match Any other ways you can think off, I'm all ears

Old 10-11-2002 | 12:20 AM
You could possibly cut out the bottom of the cat and then rip out the guts, or cut them, or whatever. Then weld the bottom back on. Just a suggestion. I think that the crow bar idea will probably work.

Old 10-11-2002 | 12:16 PM
WLF
Why not just get a couple of high flow cats and fix them legally??
We all will breath easier that way...
Gutting the cats will actually hurt your performance. It will screw with the O2 sensors as well.

Stay legal and run better.

Old 10-11-2002 | 10:22 PM
|
well that's why I was going to leave the front preheater/cat/whatever it is on for the sensor to read right. But If that's the way you guys say it's right, then I can live with that I just thought it might sound cool too and not worry about cats gettin clogged up again, laterz

Old 10-11-2002 | 10:43 PM
i know a buddy of mine who took off the cats on his chevy, and it sure does sound nice.

Old 10-13-2002 | 01:05 AM
|
Thumbs up

yea,

gutting the cats or taking them off really deepens the sound of the truck or car. Sounds disdinctive too, but I'm still not sure If I should gut em or replace them, to be honest If I replace them with new ordinary cats not factory, it will run me about $450. This will be the first time I have to replace them but yikes I'll have to think about this one. Any more suggestions or thoughts or whatever i'm open to them, Tks guys

Quick Reply: gutting cats