MagnaFlow Exhaust Pics

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002 | 09:50 AM
ZJumper...

I am looking to do about the same thing you have with a cat-back or just replace the OEM muffler with a higher flowing one..

My questions are:

1. Is the system louder? I like the fact that my truck is pretty darned quiet so I'd kind of like to keep it that way but I'd go a *little* louder for the sake of flow.

2. Was your system a bolt up or did you have to go to a muffler/welding shop to finish it up after it arrived?

Thanks and nice truck!

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 12-20-2002 | 11:27 AM
|
1. Is the system louder? I like the fact that my truck is pretty darned quiet so I'd kind of like to keep it that way but I'd go a *little* louder for the sake of flow.

It's a little louder than stock. It's a 'good' loud--the sound is deep--really throaty and smooth...definately not loud like a Flowmaster. The Magnaflow also doesn't sound raspy like a glasspack. When cruising at any speed, I don't even hear it in the cab--no drone or resonating at all. The only time I hear is when accelerating or getting on it. I was in the same boat as you were--didn't want it loud. I'm very happy with it and haven't once regretted getting it. I'd do it again.

2. Was your system a bolt up or did you have to go to a muffler/welding shop to finish it up after it arrived?

It came with all the pieces and parts to have it completely bolted up--clamps etc. I didn't want to use the clamps and have any chance of it leaking so I had a local speed/exhaust shop do the install. They removed the stock system, installed the Magnaflow system and welded up all the seams at the joints. The shop did an excellent job and only charged $75. I was going to just do the install myself and have the shop weld it up, but they had all the tools and did it in less than a hour, so it was worth it to me.

I found the best price was from www.bigexhaust.com Got it for $412. If you have any questions, drop me a line.

Old 01-09-2003 | 02:52 PM
ZJumper...

I just around to seeing your reply after the holidays and all... Thanks!

How do you like it after a few weeks? Any improvements that you can share? Mileage, SOTP, 0-60's or anything? I just modded my stock airbox and that freed up a few horses, more pronounced accelaration when on the highway, not the dropping it to the floor acceleration but the gradual pushing down like when you're going up a hill...

Thanks again!

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 01-11-2003 | 12:47 AM
Reelwork...... Just to give another comment regarding the Magnaflow cat-back, I installed the same one (15609) as Zjumper on my 2001 SuperCrew 5.4L and after a couple weeks now I'd second his comments regarding the sound. Much better than stock, very mellow and realistic. I'd add one thing thought to his comments regarding full on acceleration. I don't find the exhaust to be very loud even when I stab the accelerator hard with my right foot. Only gets so loud and then plateaus. Really exactly what I was looking for. I bought mine through Mike Troyer and would highly recommend him. The guy provides a wealth of knowledge on these engines/trucks. His prices are real good as well. I think you'd be very satisfied with the Magnaflow.

Old 01-11-2003 | 09:57 AM
Thanks for the reply...

How do you like the performance gains? That is probably my #1 priority with sound being a close second....

Thanks

Chris (ReelWork)

Old 01-12-2003 | 02:48 PM
Don't have any dyno data, but the seat-of-the pants test says that throttle response is improved at all points. Don't know that I'd commit to much beyond that regarding HP gains. The airbox replacement I did helped throttle response as well.
Good luck.

Old 01-13-2003 | 11:06 AM
|
I'll second what BigDeal said about the performance gains...the truck just feels more responsive overall.

I'd be willing to bet you'd realize even more gains with a FIPK which is going to be my next mod.

Old 01-13-2003 | 01:27 PM
ZJumper

How do you like the sound of your new Manaflow? Can you clearly tell your running something other than a stock exhaust? Thanks

Old 01-13-2003 | 03:04 PM
|
I really like the sound and have zero regrets about the cat-back--not too loud and not too quiet (like stock) When you "get on it" you hear the exhaust now instead of the intake growl.

When running the HVAC fan and radio on at moderate volume, the sound really isn't noticeable (or annoying) if that's what you mean. Other than that, it doesn't even come close to sounding stock--sounds 100 times better! The V-8 actually sounds like a V-8--nice and deep.

Just go to www.bigexhaust.com order the system, install it and enjoy---it's money well spent and you won't regret it.

Old 01-13-2003 | 03:49 PM
Thumbs up

Hey ZJumper, a comment regarding your statement about an FIPK for your truck. I installed one on my 5.4L (with a 9" Airaid filter) and have noticed additional throttle response improvement over the exhaust update alone. (Again, all results provided through my seat-of-the-pants dyno.) Sure cleans up the engine bay too. In addition, if you like the sound of the Magnaflow out the back of your truck, you'll love the sound of the FIPK breathing up front when you get into the throttle pretty heavy. Again, not annoying, but sounds more like a Ford V8 should sound. I highly recommend it. My next mod will be some ECM magic courtesy of the SuperChips MicroTuner. Can't wait to see what happens to my 5.4L at that point.

Old 01-13-2003 | 05:57 PM
|
BigDeal--

Thanks for the info on the FIPK...probably going to get one at the end of the month. Then, like you, going to do the Micro Tuner mod. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2003 | 06:14 PM
ZJumper... Performance...

You didn't mention anything about performance gains, whether it's SOTP or what have you???

Anyone else post up also...

Thanks,
Chris (ReelWork)

Old 01-13-2003 | 10:39 PM
Reelwork..... To really quantify anything useful, my truck would have to go on a chassis dyno. Even then there would be variances based upon the expertise of the dyno operator. I have a '95 Mustang drag car that was dynoed on the same brand/model dyno in two different states by two different operators and the results varied by almost 40 HP.

Like ZJumper mentioned and I seconded, the sound of the truck is vastly improved and you'll notice a real feel difference in throttle response. For me, that was enough. In my mind, the expense incurred to try and quantify my HP/Torque gains didn't warrant doing the dyno work. Not the best answer to your question, but the best I could offer.

Quick Reply: MagnaFlow Exhaust Pics