Impressions on Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002 | 01:15 PM
WLF
|
Talking Impressions on Magnaflow

This is a bit lengthy.

Well now I have had my Magnaflow cat back on for just over a week, which doesn’t sound like much but I have put over 400 miles on the truck since then and also did some towing. Here is my impression.

If you’ve been following I previously had a Flowmaster 40 non-delta flow with basically stock out-the-side exhaust that came with my 97. It is a 2-½ inch system that empties in front of the passenger side tire. This was tipped off with a 4-1/2 inch stainless tip. It worked well enough and was VERY aggressive sounding.

I replaced that with a system that uses the Magnaflow 2-1/2 single in and duel out stainless muffler # 14218. I also went out the back with Duel Magnaflow 2-1/2 inch mandrel bent aluminized tail pipes #15020/15021. I finished this off with 3-1/2 inch stainless tips. I clamped the whole thing on since I have no way to weld the system (I used very good guillotine style clamps for good seal and no rattles).
***I have also gotten mixed answers when I asked if stainless can be welded to regular piping***
The exhaust in front of the muffler is the stock 2-1/2 piping that has been on the truck since new.

The first thing I will comment on is the obvious quality of the Magnaflow pieces.

The next thing I noticed is the Magnaflow system is much quieter in the cab. It is also not as loud outside the cab but more aggressive then stock. I actually had to stand behind the truck and have my brother rev it to see how it really sounds, and it sounds good. Gone is the annoying drone when I am towing.
When you really get into the throttle this system lights up and turns heads, but if it is NOISE you are looking for, then go with the Flowmaster 40 non-delta flow.

Third, I noticed an immediate increase in performance. This is supposed to be because of increase in backpressure but I can’t figure that one out. The Flowmaster is a chamber type muffler and the Magnaflow is a strait thru design. You can actually see strait thru the Magnaflow and if your hand was small enough you could put it thru the muffler. In contrast, the Flowmaster has “delta” chambers. If you ask me the backpressure should be higher in the Flowmaster.

...Now, back to the point…

There is an immediate sensation of better performance.
This is seat of the pants but there are also measurable differences as well.
Since the install, when I punch it from a standstill I ALWAYS spin rubber. With my set-up I did this most of the time anyway but now I do it ALL the time. I am running a locking diff so this is two-wheel rubber. Prior to this install if I was really hooked up to a good surface I may launch without spinning. Now I have yet to launch and not spin the tires if I wanted to.
Next when I bang second at WOT I always chirp second gear. I have a Trans-go shift kit and the Superchip installed and before it chirped about half the time. Now it chirps all the time.

In conclusion, I like the Magnaflow system. It combines good quality with performance and a healthy touch of that performance sound we all love.
The price was also excellent here
http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...duct_id/16.htm

Have fun and remember
HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS - WINS!!!

Old 10-26-2002 | 02:25 AM
Sounds awesome!

I can't wait to get my exhaust, its definitely going to be magnaflow. I have a few things to do first though. My gears are going to have to go, I have 3.08's, then it is going to be programmer from hypertech to compensate my speedo. Then comes magnaflow!

Old 10-26-2002 | 05:24 PM
Tha tsounds great. I am going to go with Long tube headers, 2 Maganflow Hiflow cats, 2 Maganflow mufflers, and 2 Magnaflow SS tips exiting before the rear tire. I cant wait.

Silver&Blue, no offense, but don't waste your money on a Hypertech, get a superchip or their new Microtuner, you will love it. Call Mike (superchips_Distributor) he can hook you up.

Old 10-26-2002 | 06:19 PM
Re: Impressions on Magnaflow

Originally posted by WLF
This is a bit lengthy.

Well now I have had my Magnaflow cat back on for just over a week, which doesn’t sound like much but I have put over 400 miles on the truck since then and also did some towing. Here is my impression.

If you’ve been following I previously had a Flowmaster 40 non-delta flow with basically stock out-the-side exhaust that came with my 97. It is a 2-½ inch system that empties in front of the passenger side tire. This was tipped off with a 4-1/2 inch stainless tip. It worked well enough and was VERY aggressive sounding.

I replaced that with a system that uses the Magnaflow 2-1/2 single in and duel out stainless muffler # 14218. I also went out the back with Duel Magnaflow 2-1/2 inch mandrel bent aluminized tail pipes #15020/15021. I finished this off with 3-1/2 inch stainless tips. I clamped the whole thing on since I have no way to weld the system (I used very good guillotine style clamps for good seal and no rattles).
***I have also gotten mixed answers when I asked if stainless can be welded to regular piping***
The exhaust in front of the muffler is the stock 2-1/2 piping that has been on the truck since new.

The first thing I will comment on is the obvious quality of the Magnaflow pieces.

The next thing I noticed is the Magnaflow system is much quieter in the cab. It is also not as loud outside the cab but more aggressive then stock. I actually had to stand behind the truck and have my brother rev it to see how it really sounds, and it sounds good. Gone is the annoying drone when I am towing.
When you really get into the throttle this system lights up and turns heads, but if it is NOISE you are looking for, then go with the Flowmaster 40 non-delta flow.

Third, I noticed an immediate increase in performance. This is supposed to be because of increase in backpressure but I can’t figure that one out. The Flowmaster is a chamber type muffler and the Magnaflow is a strait thru design. You can actually see strait thru the Magnaflow and if your hand was small enough you could put it thru the muffler. In contrast, the Flowmaster has “delta” chambers. If you ask me the backpressure should be higher in the Flowmaster.

...Now, back to the point…

There is an immediate sensation of better performance.
This is seat of the pants but there are also measurable differences as well.
Since the install, when I punch it from a standstill I ALWAYS spin rubber. With my set-up I did this most of the time anyway but now I do it ALL the time. I am running a locking diff so this is two-wheel rubber. Prior to this install if I was really hooked up to a good surface I may launch without spinning. Now I have yet to launch and not spin the tires if I wanted to.

In conclusion, I like the Magnaflow system. It combines good quality with performance and a healthy touch of that performance sound we all love.
First I want to say...that is one good looking truck!!!!!!!!!

You just gave the exact same experience I had when I got rid of my Gibson supertruck before the wheel dual out and went with the Magnaflow.
One difference is that I decided to go with the 3" SI/SO Magnaflow.
I think what we both experienced is an improvement in our flow velocity.
The back pressure thing can actually be a hinderance rather than help. I managed to uncover this little known fact after doing a whole bunch of research once my Gibson took my torque away.

I don't even have the shift kit and can spin the crap out of my tires from a dead stop on dry pavement. But I don't get to chirp em on an upshift....maybe I need to get the shift kit>>>LOL.

Rocks

Old 10-27-2002 | 07:27 PM
WLF
|
Rocks,
Thanks for the complement. Just did the clay bar treatment and it actually looks like that again
I've got a question for you, are the pullys and electric fans worth it?

Old 10-27-2002 | 08:18 PM
Originally posted by WLF
Rocks,
I've got a question for you, are the pullys and electric fans worth it?

Absolutely worth it. In the order of my mods, I had put on a Gibson Supertruck before the fans and pulley.
The gibson had squashed my torque at low end. The pulley set alone gave it back. Then I did the fans and could feel better throttle response and a bit more torque at low end.

I would do it again. As a matter of fact...the L I have on order will have the electric fans as one of the first mods.
I have some pics of both in my gallery. Click on the link in my sig.
Go with Mike T's set up. I had none of the "issues" I have read others having with flexalites.

Rocks

Old 10-27-2002 | 09:53 PM
What gave more power, electric fans, or the pulleys. Which made more low end, and then which made more overall power, better in the 1/4 mile?

Old 10-27-2002 | 10:23 PM
Originally posted by beastie
What gave more power, electric fans, or the pulleys. Which made more low end, and then which made more overall power, better in the 1/4 mile?

Hello beastie,

Since I haven't run a quarter mile, I couldn't tell ya. They each seemed to add about the sames power. I did the pullies first and the fans about a week or so later.
All I have to go by is SOTP dyno. The biggest improvement with both seemed to be on the low end 2000-2500 RPM, meaning I have better launching power.
Both felt as though I had much better throttle response.
Very unscientific, I know, but I am happy with all the mods I have done so far.

Rocks

Last edited by Rocks; 10-27-2002 at 10:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2002 | 10:28 PM
I think I will go with the fans first, because they completely reduce 1 form of parasitic loss, rather than just reducing all of the. I would do both, but on the old trucks, the biggest ALT was a 95A, and Right now I pull 65 with every accesory I have on, and the stereo blasting. I under normal conditions never use the AC or anything, but if I was to, I wouldnt want to have charging probs when Im sitting at a light. I will get like a 130A alt soon. It is only like $150, but until then I am justy going to go with the fans.

Old 10-28-2002 | 10:32 AM
Beastie,

What your saying does make sense from some of the posts I have read on this.
My truck has the 130 alt. and this may be why I don't have any electrical problems from my pulley kit I also don't have any of the high draw stereo boom blaster stuff some of you young bucks do .

One nice thing about Mikes fan kit is that it comes with 2 relays and 2 seperate fans so you can stage the fans on, thus lowering the possibility of getting to much amp draw on start up. Start up is where your fans draw the most amps. Run amps drop down to an acceptable level.

I don't have the amp draw numbers in front of me right now but I am thinking that each fan has a start up draw of about 21-25 amps and they drop to the 15 amp area once they are running. I can confirm this for you later if youd like or if someone else is reading this they can throw in the "for sure" numbers. Better still, call Mike T. and he can get exact.

I just reread your post....OUCH....you may already be border line for the electric fan kit of any kind. 65 amps???...that must be one heck of a boom blaster...LOL. Be sure and run these numbers past Mike to be safe.

Rocks

Last edited by Rocks; 10-28-2002 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-28-2002 | 11:01 AM
WLF
|
Rocks,
I have to think about the electric fan conversion. Not because of any real high draw but more since I already have gobs of electrical add-ons. My truck did not come with electric windows or door locks which I have added with a security system. Add to that my stereo, aftermarket lights, Power sunroof and Jacobs unit, I am running out of places to connect (even with a add on fuse box with 6 relays).
Anyway, with the 430 rear, I am definitely considering the pulleys. Where did you get yours pulleys and how hard of an install? Also, do they come with a new belt?
Thanks...

Old 10-28-2002 | 01:25 PM
Originally posted by WLF
Rocks,
I have to think about the electric fan conversion. Not because of any real high draw but more since I already have gobs of electrical add-ons. My truck did not come with electric windows or door locks which I have added with a security system. Add to that my stereo, aftermarket lights, Power sunroof and Jacobs unit, I am running out of places to connect (even with a add on fuse box with 6 relays).
Anyway, with the 430 rear, I am definitely considering the pulleys. Where did you get yours pulleys and how hard of an install? Also, do they come with a new belt?
Thanks...
Hello WLF,

I went with the ASP 2 pully kit. The belt did not come with it, but I went ahead and ordered it from the same place just to have a good belt at the same time.
It is not that difficult to put the pulley's on, but it is pretty inexpensive...about 50-75 dollars to get a mechanic to do it for you.

I have a few pics of the pulleys and belt installed posted in my gallery.

I bought the pulley's and Gator Back belt from Mike at Performance products. Mostly because of the GREAT support he offers. The prices are pretty much the same everywhere, give or take 10%. But buying from a person you can call and even get to call you back on weekends for emergencies, is very much of a plus.

Mike posts alot on the chip forum as super_chips distributer. His phone number is located in his signature at the bottom of his posts. Give him a call and he can fix you up and also answer tecn\hnical questions you may have. You'll be glad you spoke to him .

Rocks

Old 10-28-2002 | 01:37 PM
WLF
|
Yea I know Mike. I got my superchip from him.
Thanks.

Old 10-28-2002 | 01:49 PM
Originally posted by WLF
Yea I know Mike. I got my superchip from him.
Thanks.
Cool ,

I guess I don't read enough of the posts to know who knows who around here...LOL.

Good luck with the mods. I think you'll be happy with them....I know I like mine.

Rocks

Old 10-28-2002 | 04:38 PM
I am okay with the amps. On the older trucks, the radiator is smaller so I will have to runb dual 14s. they only pull 10A each 15 at startup.

Oh and my stero doesnt pull much more than 8A

Quick Reply: Impressions on Magnaflow