Is this a fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2002 | 09:21 PM
|
Is this a fair price?

My local custom muffler shop quoted $300 for a Single In - Dual out Cat Back system with 2.5 inch pipes ran to each side. I can choose either a Flowmaster 50 Delta or MagnaFlow. They will drop my stock pipes and let me listen to each muffler before making the final choice. I thought that was pretty cool to get a chance to hear it before I pick which one.

Is $300 a good price?

Still not sure which one to go with. I've read many threads. I pull a trailer and my ATV on a regular basis, so I would prefer not to have that noise in the cabin that everyone talks about.

Any more comments about either flowmaster 50 D or magnaflow are appreciated.

Thanks
Supercrew1
Roanoke, VA

Old 10-26-2002 | 03:51 PM
if your getting...

stainless tips not chrome and the pipe is mandrel bent not manuel bent then go with the magnaflow and you've got a desent deal but you might call around to make sure,you never know,some one might beat it

Old 10-26-2002 | 05:34 PM
I'm with texford....go with the Magnaflow, but mostly because of your need for the low end torque.

The Flomaster is going to sound "meaner" than the Magnaflow, but the Flomaster is also going to cost you more low end torque.

One other thought, if your after a single in dual out....the dual out will probably cost a bit of low end torque also.

Magnaflow does have a S/I S/O that will actually do a good job of not causing flow dynamic issues.

I have not researched how that Magnaflow S/I D/O is designed, but the Gibson S/I D/O that I owned had a simple devider that had to interfer in the flow of the exhaust gasses. It also caused me to loose enough low end torque that I sold it for 125 bucks after having it only a month and bought the complete Magnaflow cat back from Mike T. at performance. I noticed instant improvement, but the sound is more tamed. It does "Bark" nicely when I get on the gas though.

Rocks

Old 10-26-2002 | 07:04 PM
|
thanks

I really appreciate both your input. I am definately leaning to the magnaflow side.

I assume chrome tips is not the way to go. What is the difference that Mandrel bending offers over manual bending?

As far as SI/SO, I have the notion that it just wont sound as good with just one pipe and definately will not look as good.

Keep the feedback coming.....

Supercrew1

Old 10-26-2002 | 07:22 PM
Re: thanks

Originally posted by supercrew1
I really appreciate both your input. I am definately leaning to the magnaflow side.

I assume chrome tips is not the way to go. What is the difference that Mandrel bending offers over manual bending?

As far as SI/SO, I have the notion that it just wont sound as good with just one pipe and definately will not look as good.

Keep the feedback coming.....

Supercrew1
I think mandrel bent means by machine...but maybe someone can help on this one.
Texfordd has the dual outs the back...one each side and admitidly it does have a cooler look to it.
SI/SO is a "different" sound....not necessarily louder.
Here is a post that may help...https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=94705

Rocks

Old 10-29-2002 | 12:10 PM
WLF
Mandrel bent means bent in such a way that it does not crimp the steel. In other words if you have ever seen an exhaust pipe with a bend and you can see wrinkles in the bent side then that is manual bent. If it were Mandrel bent the pipe would be smooth. This improves flow.
A friend of mine just bought a Flowmaster 50 single in/duel out kit and paid $300.00. That was from Summit so it was probably a good price. It included duel stainless tips. This was an install-it-yourself kit.
It sounds to me like $300 is a good price.
I just installed Magnaflow stainless muffler with single 2 1/2 in and duel 2 1/2 inch pipes out the back with duel stainless tips. The muffler and pipes were Magnaflow and the total was about $240 for all the parts. I did the work myself. Got my parts here http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigex...duct_id/16.htm but I warn you it is a several hour job for a GOOD shade tree mechanic.

Old 10-29-2002 | 01:52 PM
madrel means keeps same diameter in the pipe even through the angles where its bent--it dont get smaller through the bends.
I would go with magnaflow. they a little quieter then flows and have a better tone overall.
Chrome tips arent bad you just have to keep chrome wax on them. Ive put my chrome tips through 3 winters of salt and they still look brand new except just very slight rust on the ends which is caused by acidic exhaust moisture draining from the pipes.
I apply Turtle wax chrome polish/wax on them once a week in the warm months (march-oct) and they look great. only takes about 10 mins too.
-Patrick

Old 10-29-2002 | 07:56 PM
mandrel bent is by a machine...manuel bent is hectors brother with a torch and a telephone pole...chrome are fine but won't last the stainless are the way to go..you have three inches going into the muffler and you can come out single with three inches or you can do duels with 2 and a half and come straight out or kick them behind the back wheels...i have 18 inch long by 3 inch in diameter tips straight out...go to the owners gallery and run my handle and you'll see what they look like

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price?