back to basics, I'll ask here too

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002 | 08:57 PM
V8KILLAH1
back to basics, I'll ask here too

Well I asked the this question in the wrong "exhaust" area. It was first asked in the aftermarket exhaust section:

So here goes anyways:

What benefits will I have with a straight pipe on a 4.2L? And is that with a single straight pipe or dual?

Also, what's up with these Xpipes and Hpipes, Y pipes or whatever? Can someone fill me in on some basic stuff?

Thank you

Old 10-31-2002 | 08:21 AM
APT
People's definition of straight pipe vary. Some mean no muffler, others mean no muffler or catilytic converters. The benefit of straight pipe is no restrictions in the exhaust. And some may think the so loud you can't hear anything is a benefit. A straight through design muffler will keep your performance, at a quieter note. Single or dual, well, that is just a choice. Proper use of pipe sizes and a good y-pipe design will not affect performance, but propbably change the note the the exhaust over true dual.

H, Y, and H pipes are named on their looks. See this:

The first two are X-pipes, with two inputs and two outputs,used on V-type engines for full dual exhausts. H-pipe is similar except the connection is perpendicular to flow, instead of 2 back to back y-pipes. Y-pipe is used to combine or separate exhaust, either from a V-type engine combined into one exhaust (note all factory exhaust V engines that I can think of have some kind of y-pipe, including our truck which are very restrictive compared to the ones shown above. Also, a Y-pipe could be used after of a muffler for dual tips, mainly for looks.

Old 10-31-2002 | 02:41 PM
V8KILLAH1
thanks for the info.....but what differences in a straight pipe configuration would there be if it was either the muffler gone or the cat gone?

Old 10-31-2002 | 03:05 PM
APT
The cats would be some kind of restriction in the minds of those that remove them. So, they think even more power to be had. Some poeple don't like removing the cats or cannot because of local emission laws so their definition of "straight pipes" is nothing but pipe after the cats.

Old 10-31-2002 | 04:21 PM
dont do straights cause the possability for ruining your valves increases alot. Get a good sounding muffler or catback

Quick Reply: back to basics, I'll ask here too