Cat removal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002 | 01:15 PM
|
Cat removal?

There isn't any emission testing up here, and I don't have any sensors near the cat (there's two on the y-pipe, close to the exhaust manifolds, and none behind the cat). I've always pulled them off of older trucks with no sensors behind the cats with no problems, anyone else done this with their Super Duties? Any problems that might arise being a newer truck? All models I removed the cat were '95 and older.
Thanks in advance.

Old 11-08-2002 | 09:32 PM
It's a waste of time (besides voiding your warrenty). Older vehicles used pelletized cats which were restrictive and robbed horsepower. Ever since 1986 or so carmakers have been using monolithic cats which are not restrictive, in fact they can flow more exhaust then the rest of your system is capable of handling, therefore you will gain no power by removing the cat unless you are running forced induction. I can't believe that there are no sensors behind the cat. All vehicles newer than 1996 had at least one post cat sensor to monitor catalyst efficency. Either way, i think taking it off is a waste of time.

-Jon

Old 11-20-2002 | 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Ford4ever
It's a waste of time (besides voiding your warrenty). Older vehicles used pelletized cats which were restrictive and robbed horsepower. Ever since 1986 or so carmakers have been using monolithic cats which are not restrictive, in fact they can flow more exhaust then the rest of your system is capable of handling, therefore you will gain no power by removing the cat unless you are running forced induction. I can't believe that there are no sensors behind the cat. All vehicles newer than 1996 had at least one post cat sensor to monitor catalyst efficency. Either way, i think taking it off is a waste of time.

-Jon
And besides its a Federal Crime

Quick Reply: Cat removal?