magnaflow true duals

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2002 | 10:02 PM
|
Well the person who was supposed to do the exhaust finally emailed me. I don't even care anymore. If i get the exhaust done it gets done.

Old 12-17-2002 | 12:23 PM
Originally posted by APT
If you are using Magnaflow, why are you buying a separate x-pipe? Just get a DIDO muffler which has the X-pipe built in. Chepaer than two mufflers and an x-pipe.
Are you sure about that? I thought they were separate straight thru tubes?

Old 12-22-2002 | 05:35 PM
I had one made for my 98 scab 4x4 4.6 L. Runs real good in the low 70mph, more power and picked up about 1.2 mph. After about 1300 miles, just ran into a problem though. Engine light came on and seems to be idling a bit high. Will take it in this week and have it checked out.

Old 12-22-2002 | 05:39 PM
|
jenksj, let me know what happens with the light coming on.

Old 12-23-2002 | 05:41 AM
Will do. I plan on stopping by the company (JT's Exhaust World) that built the system to let them know of the problem and to find out if others have had similar experiences. If not, I'll take it to Ford and have them download the codes.

Old 12-23-2002 | 06:32 PM
OK, here's the skinny on my problem. Went to Exhaust World--My contact told me he'd never heard of an exhaust mod causing the problem I was having. So, went to Ford. My Service Manager suggested that I take the truck home and disconnect the battery cables for 2 hours minimum to let the computer reset--it might not have reset correctly post exhaust modification. I did so, and that fixed the problem.

Old 12-24-2002 | 04:02 PM
APT
Originally posted by maximum13
Are you sure about that? I thought they were separate straight thru tubes?
I thought it was an X, but Beastie has seen an older one and it was an H-pipe inside. It wouldn't surprise me if Magnaflow switched to an X-pipe inside of their DIDO mufflers in recent years. Either way, I'm sure there is some kind of crossing inside.

Old 01-01-2003 | 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Just some quick FYI...........................

There's a significant difference between an H-pipe and an X-pipe, they're not both just crossovers. The H-pipe is only a crossover, but an X-pipe does more and adds more power. A proper alloy of stainless steel X-pipe can add as much as 10 HP to the rear wheels! H-pipes & X-pipes are used only in true-dual systems (of course), and the X-pipe is always preferable thanks to superior results.

What Magnaflow does in their DIDO mufflers is best described as an internal H-pipe, it's not really a true proper X-pipe. Also, you need to do the crossover in any true-dual system long before the
muffler(s), that needs to be done right after the catalytic converers to take proper advantage of the heat they induce which accelerates exhaust velocity thru & exiting the X-pipe, otherwise you get too little heat & thus lower exhaust velocity and acceleration of that velocity thru the X-over, thus less benefit.

In short, don't let a crossover in a muffler downstream take the place of a proper X-pipe upstream, right after the cats, as you won't get the same results, your power will be less.

One area where it never pays to scrimp is in the exhaust, doing it right, as in our Performance Products true dual setup using all Magnaflow components, you can pick up much as 30+ HP. It's expensive to do a true-dual system "right," so that there is not only no loss of low-end torque, but in fact an actual *increase* in torque available all the time at any throttle position, in addition to more horsepower everywhere. Getting that kind of result requires top-shelf components of the right size, right alloy, and in the right place.

People like myself, Neal the HP Freak, Beastie, and a few others will spend what it takes to get the ultimate true dual exhaust, but few others will. For most people, we recommend that they simply use the complete Magnaflow cat-back system (which is a 3" single system), all of which we carry, & as our customers can tell you, we price match with any legitimate dealer.

You won't be able to fab up a 3" single system and get the results that you get with Magnaflow's cat-back system, as it takes far more than just 3" tubing bent to fit, even with mandrel bending. It takes the proper alloy of stainless for the heat retention properties that give the exhaust velocity needed for maximum results (as all NASCAR Winston Cup teams use), as well as the actual flow engeering that goes into their systems, that is something you can't get with a put-together deal, where they're fabbing up only for fitment, with no actual flow engineering or alloy consideration, etc. In short, doing it "right" to optimize the results costs, it's never "cheap," but we can make it affordable; "cheap" setups will never get the results that properly engineered systems & components will.

This is just some general FYI stuff here, anyone who would like details, pricing, etc., please give us a call at your convenience.

Good luck & Happy New Year to everyone!

Quick Reply: magnaflow true duals