suggestions on exhaust for a 4.0 v6

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002 | 10:10 PM
I ran Flowmaster si/do 50 series for a year. This summer, I was looking for a little more sound, and switched the location of my tips. I went with a glasspack (and straight pipes for a day), and the difference in torque was very noticeable, and horsepower was increased according to the SOTP meter. Call Mike Troyer at Perf. Prod. and see what his take is on the Flows. He won't lie! Not trying to start a war, but that's MHO.

-Flea

Old 12-11-2002 | 10:46 PM
I'm no exhaust scientist but from everything I've read it seems to me that backpressure contributes to torque. So, it only stands to reason that a restrictive exhaust won't rob torque but an unrestrictive one may add "that sound" and, with the right combination of other things, increase horsepower (but maybe only at wide open throttle......a place where we seldom, if ever, go) AND will rob torque. A local performance expert tells me that there's more science involved than we usually bring to bear if you want to balance the two......

I used the same exhaust setup on my 87 F150, 300 6cyl, 4 speed with granny low, and a 4.10 rear end and it not only sounded great, I could pull a house off it's foundation with the torque I had. And it was cheaper than Flowmaster, Gibson, or any others....... That was before I was aware of all the expensive alternatives and before I knew about this place.
Fact and opinion........any comments?

Quick Reply: suggestions on exhaust for a 4.0 v6