EXHAUST upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EXHAUST upgrades

I have a question, and pardon my relative "newness", but why does it sound--and correct my if i am wrong-- but why does it sound like alot are against putting in dual exhaust, does it really effect your low end that much? I had dual exhaust -- a vortex system put in by meineke, and i love the sound, "hubby thinks its too loud but I don't care"..anyway I also tow my two horses in the trailer quite frequently and have not noticed anything really drastically that has changed. Any thoughts? I have a S crew 4.6 4x4 with the tow pkg on it.

Old 11-19-2002, 08:15 PM
well if it was true duals it prolly took away low end torque, but if you get a good catback, youll gain torque. I think a few are against duals b/c of noise. I dont know any thoguh

Old 11-19-2002, 08:24 PM
hmmmm I always thought true duals would be ok provided you don't free up too much back pressure. Some say true duals helped there low end and others say it got worse. My thinking is true duals are fine as far low and top end goes just as long as you have some sort of balance pipe on there, keep good cats and good mufflers on there (magnaflow and flowmaster for example?) but I dunno how they affect gas mileage??

Old 11-21-2002, 08:00 PM
Wink EXHAUST UPGRADES

Thanks for the feedback guys, i appreciate it, yes I only have cat back exhaust not true dual, i think, anyway that is probably why i am not noticing a big change!

Old 11-22-2002, 08:07 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no such thing as backpressure, at least the notion that some kind of restriction is benefical. It all comes down to flow. Open up the exhaust too much, and the flow rate goes down, decreasing performance. There are ways to have no restriction in the exhaust and yet, maintain or increase torque. It just requires the proper size of the pipes.

Why are some people anti dual exhaust? Well, it costs more than comparable single, adds more weight, and no performance benefit. Some people are worried about not choosing the right parts as to loose low end torque. The differences are 1) sound of true dual vs. SIDO/SISO and 2) looks of two pipesvs. one. Ranking of why (on average) people put on aftermarket exhaust: 1) sound, 2) looks, 3) performance.

Dual is fine. If you like what you have, who cares what other say (like your husband)? It can be made to work just as well as a good single system. Single is just cheaper and easier to get good results.

Aaron

Old 11-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really depends on what kind of exhaust system you have. I went from stock to a SI/DO Flowmaster 50 series, and I noticed a loss in low end. Gained a little in the mid-upper range, though, and there was a horsepower gain (albeit small). This past summer, though, I went to a SI/DO Glasspack, and it's louder, looks better, and gives a LOT more power. The straight-through design is always best for flow, and this was no exception. I gained back all my low end, and then some. I'd say as far as gains over stock, I'm guessing 8 rwhp and 5-10 rwtq.

-Flea

Old 11-28-2002, 11:10 AM
Talking Exhausting

Put a Gibson Cat-Back single factory location system on my '01 Supercrew w/5.4L a few weeks ago. I'm really thrilled with the results. I am running 265's and had given up a little low end grunt due to the taller tires. The Gibson returned my lost low end and the truck seems to maintain highway speeds with less effort. Gas milage has gone up but only about 1 MPG. Every little bit helps. This thing has a verocious appetite for fossil fuels! Anyway, at $289.00 (no shipping or taxes), and only 45 minutes for me to install it myself, I'm thrilled. It is a little quiter than I had expected but I would rather it be quiter than louder.

Old 12-15-2002, 10:54 AM
I just added a true dual MagnaFlow to my 98 Scab 4x4, with 4.6L and over the past two days of travel (about 200+ miles), I'm real happy with the result: less shifting on the highway, smooth idle, nice muffled sound--added chrome tips out both sides so I didn't have to worry about fumes entering the cap--entire system is welded (even chrome tips). Only other modification is a K&N air filter, which didn't do squat. Think I might have gained 1-2 mpg too. Finally, the MagnaFlow came with a lifetime warranty. Total cost of the system was less than a hundred over the cost of a single pipe Gibson catback. How can you go wrong!

Quick Reply: EXHAUST upgrades