Stainless Steel or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002 | 02:49 PM
|
Stainless Steel or Not?

Anyone have an opinion about whether to use stainless steel pipes or not? I have seen several place were people highly recommend the use of SS mufflers, but no mention of the pipes. Given that the factory uses SS pipes makes me think that it might be necessary - on the other hand it's expensive and since I live in Oregon were we don't salt roads or have any excessive corrosive stuff lying around (it is wet though!), I wonder, is it really necessary?

Your thoughts appreciated!

Old 12-06-2002 | 02:57 PM
i live in mid Missouri and we have salt. I had steel pipes not stainless and they have virtually no wear on them and theyve been through 2 winters. Personally i wouldnt pay for SS but some may

Old 12-06-2002 | 03:33 PM
WLF
Good tail pipes are aluminized. My stock aluminized tail pipes were 6 years old with very little rust.
Stainless mufflers are available cheep so you might as well get them but the tail pipes would be expensive, especially if you are looking for duel out the back.
I used Magnaflow aluminized on my truck. Too soon to know if they are the same quality as factory but I think they will be fine. My Magnaflow muffler is stainless.

Old 12-07-2002 | 06:55 AM
Personally I'd go with the stainless pipes. Just because having an SS muffler and tips but regular pipes looks funny, sort of like driving with 3 chrome rims and 1 stock.

I also like to blow $$ on stupid stuff anyways..

Try this to save some bucks..

Old 12-11-2002 | 09:46 AM
WLF
LeanNCut,
The only way someone can see what pipes I have is if I run over them while going down the highway.

So far no humans have seen it but there was a rabbit the other day that got a good look...

Last edited by WLF; 12-12-2002 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-11-2002 | 11:05 AM
maybe ive got aluminized too...not sure they arent rusting though
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel or Not?