Expedition / Navigator

Leaking rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003 | 02:08 PM
|
Unhappy Leaking rear diff

I have a 99 5.4L Expy. With 100998 miles. My rear diff is leaking around the front seal. Was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and how much did it cost it fix it. And can it be done at home. Thank for any help.

Old 01-13-2003 | 02:44 PM
Sounds like the pinion seal is starting to go out. Hopefully it's just the seal and it didn't put a grove in your pinion. The cheapest fix would be to drain your the fluid in there now, and go back with a 90w140 weight gear oil and see if the leaking stops or slows down.

To replace the seal, you'd need to remove the yolk which would require a lot of force to remove the nut (it would probably help to have air tools). If you do get it off, then re-torqueing to proper specs without futher crushing the crush coller might be tricky. To make a long story short, after I once botched a ring and pinion gear install, I leave anything that has anything to do with gears up to the professionals, it always works out cheaper for me

I usually take my stuff that I can't handle to Ballistic Motorsports in Houston. They are on the westside of Houston on Brittemore, South of Hamerly if you are from that side of town, I would take it there. Their number is 713-647-9007

Old 01-13-2003 | 06:49 PM
Ahhhh, Hammerly and Britmore. Brings back old memories! Blasting away from Gessner and Hammerly feeling free and having fun (and lit up pretty good I might add)all the way out to Britmore headed north until I turned around at about Clay and realized I had 2 Police cars and a helicopter after me. The way I stopped and got off the bike when I had a lot of open road (back then it was wide open out there) they realized I wasn't running; I just didn't know they were after me. Nice guys, let me off with a 10 MPH over ticket and no proof of insurance after admitting they were running 125 out Brittmore behind me getting a kick out of me admitting I was running 140; hence the helicopter. They were sitting behind the Stop-n-Go at Hammerly and Gessner when they saw me first take off.

No, that was not the Expy. It was a not so stock '78 Suzuki GS750e in the summer of 1983, or so! Here's to memories of dumb *** stunts of youth.

Old 01-14-2003 | 08:29 AM
|
Thumbs up

AMEN to that Family Ride

Old 01-14-2003 | 12:36 PM
I'll second that also. Probally like most of us, I often wonder how I am still alive. Thank you God for watching over me!! Anyway, good to see you around FamilyRide, havent seen too many posts from you lately, I was beginning to wonder if you had traded in the Expy for an Excursion and never bothered to post because there is no traffic on the Excursion forum. Take care

Quick Reply: Leaking rear diff