Expedition / Navigator

Expedition Full of Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition Full of Problems?

I have owned my 99 EB since December and I already have

1. This problem with the shock bolt or something "banging" like Shock mount loose...
2. Broken Plenum Door for heater/ A/C
3. Rumble noise coming from tranny that was fixed finally after draining all Tranny fluid refilling and then adding a friction modifier that Ford uses in rear ends.
4. Mirrors have the reflective coating wrinkling up and peeling away.
5. CD Player skips like all hell when it gets heated up.
6. Compass doesn't work (Stays on (S) South)
7. Seat Heaters no longer heating.
8. #4 Coil replaced

That is all I can think of right now. Who else is experiencing these same problems?

Old 02-25-2003, 11:43 PM
Over 3 years and none for me thanks.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:49 AM
99 Eddie Bauer 44k miles

1) Tranny convertor shudder (servicing this weekend)

2) Odometer intermittent display problem

3) Factory radio/CD (right side buttons don't work)

4) Spare tire retaining cable broke

Old 02-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Your shock mount "noise" is probably the sway bar ends that snapped. That is what was with my '98

Old 02-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks vegas, I'll have a look again, but I just changed the tranny fluid and I looked and shook everything. Pretty hard to miss that, but you never know.

Old 07-10-2006, 03:16 PM
shock mount broke on expy

had same clunk from front right.....found the shock mount bracket broken off of lower control arm........so, any tips on replacing lower control arm, how difficult is removal of torsion bar???? thanks for any info.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by cincinnatiscrew
had same clunk from front right.....found the shock mount bracket broken off of lower control arm........so, any tips on replacing lower control arm, how difficult is removal of torsion bar???? thanks for any info.
UGH!

98 gator and not one single maintenence issue yet

Old 07-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by 99 Bauer
I have owned my 99 EB since December and I already have

1. This problem with the shock bolt or something "banging" like Shock mount loose...
2. Broken Plenum Door for heater/ A/C
3. Rumble noise coming from tranny that was fixed finally after draining all Tranny fluid refilling and then adding a friction modifier that Ford uses in rear ends.
4. Mirrors have the reflective coating wrinkling up and peeling away.
5. CD Player skips like all hell when it gets heated up.
6. Compass doesn't work (Stays on (S) South)
7. Seat Heaters no longer heating.
8. #4 Coil replaced

That is all I can think of right now. Who else is experiencing these same problems?
1. Has been addressed above
2. A fairly extensive repair for a CHEAP part. You can spend 10-12 hours doing it yourself or pay a dealer to do it. I opted to have a dealer do it for $600.
3. I assume you are speaking of TC shudder. If you have the 4R100 tranny then you or whom ever should have never added the FM to it. Basically its a bandaid for the problem. A good tranny flush with Mercon (for 4R100) or MerconV (for 4R70W) will usually solve the problem. If you do have the 4R100, then I would take it back to where the flush was done and have them do it over without the FM, otherwise you could hurt the tranny. If you have the 4R70W, you might be OK but just be aware that the MerconV has FM in it already.
4. Go to http://www.kwmuth.com/ , get their number and call them and tell them your problem. These mirrors had a recall on them from Muth (original supplier to Ford), you might get luck and get them replaced for free. They did mine for free.
5. Might have to get a new one, ebay is a good place to start. just make sure you get the right one.
6. There are instructions on how to reset and recalibrate that. Run a search here to find them.
7. Sorry
8. Are your heater core lines dripping onto the coil? If so, you will need to get that fixed otherwise you will just keep replacing the COP.

Sorry to hear you have all these problems. I to have experienced most of them but they were spread out over time. Sounds like the previous owner did not maintain the vehicle as they should have. Once you get these fixed, it should do you just fine for a long time.

Good luck with it, and again, I am sorry you have all these problems with a relatively good vehicle.

Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by forced347
99 Eddie Bauer 44k miles

1) Tranny convertor shudder (servicing this weekend)

2) Odometer intermittent display problem

3) Factory radio/CD (right side buttons don't work)

4) Spare tire retaining cable broke
Your intermittent odometer is the result of a bad ground connection. It’s actually a "cold" solder joint on the circuit board behind the cluster. It’s a relatively simple fix once you remove the cluster. Just have to hit the joint with a solder iron or possibly add a bit of solder to it. A search here will provide you instruction on the whole thing, including a pic of the joint location on the circuit board.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:24 PM
#2.... a/c flapper door, in this situation is the air from the blower motor not being dirrected around the heater core? my expy blows warm most of the time but even worse when i blip the throttle.

didn't mean to hi-jack the thread, but any help would be nice.

Quick Reply: Expedition Full of Problems?