Expedition / Navigator

Rear anti-Swaybar

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003 | 10:30 AM
|
Rear anti-Swaybar

I have a 01 Expedition 4x4 EB w/o lls but with the towing package anyway i looked at my rear swaybar and noticed that it looks to me like the bushings are BLOWN.. Is this a common thing or are they OK? I seem to have more sway int eh ride now even when little cars go by.. I also tow a 4k boat and am thinking about going to a hel-wig .. any help would be great.

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:36 PM
I tow a 7000# boat and don't have sway problems even in wind etc. I'm a believer in the Helwig rear bar and also good aftermarket shocks. I've got Edelbrocks.

I think you'll be very pleased with the Helwig. When you install it, look at how much flex you can put in the stocker compared to the Helwig. I was amazed!

Old 03-16-2003 | 10:11 PM
|
Is the helwig hard to put on or should i go to a shop to get it done?? and alos where did you get your gibson exhaust?? I am wanting to get something like that for mine..

p.s got to love lake lewisville (sp)

I used to live in Dallas many years ago when the party cove was on the west side of 35 and then moved to the east side in a cove..

Old 03-18-2003 | 07:27 AM
Thumbs up Helwig...yes!

Waterat-
You can't go wrong with upgrading to a Helwig anti-sway bar. It takes much of the lateral roll out of the Expy. Also, it helps even out the bumps. Lastly, if you are going to upgraded the read, you may want to think about installing poly bushing on the front OEM anti-sway bar.

Good luck with your upgrade.

Old 03-18-2003 | 08:23 AM
|
Helwig...yes!

How would i up-grade the front bushings and is it something i can do myself as well as is the rear anti-sway something i can do myslef.. and who would i order them from? All this is new to me. I called a local offroad shop and they want to charge me 250 for the bar and 50ish to install.. is that a good price?

Old 03-19-2003 | 02:30 PM
Smile Sounds about right

The price for the rear bar and installation sounds about right. You may gain a few bucks by shopping it around over the 'Net but lose it on shipping. I had the rear bar installed by a shop but did the front bushings myself. With the front, you can do it with the Expy on the ground...take you about an hour total. You won't need unusual tools, just strong thumbs and some dishwashing soap for lubrication.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-19-2003 | 04:26 PM
|
front anit-sway bar

So where would i ge tthese bushings and how do i know they are the right ones?? i found some at autozone and not sure if they are the right ones.. any help would be great..

Thanks

Old 03-19-2003 | 09:08 PM
$300.00 for a sway bar and installation seems way too high. I paid $150.00 for my Hellwig rear sway bar for my 01 Expy. It took about an hour to install with regular hand tools. No real problems. I ordered mine from Summit Racing. Save your money, do it yourself.

Old 03-20-2003 | 08:00 AM
Post Energy Suspension

Waterrat-
You can purchased front anti-sway bar poly bushings directly from the manufacturer, Energy Suspension(www.energysuspension.com). I don't recall the price.

As for the rear-bar...thanks for the correction, Yankee7985. Summit racing has the Helwig bar for $129.69 (not $229 as I first thought) plus shipping. With the installation, it really a matter of your comfort level and experience.

Old 03-20-2003 | 11:51 AM
|
Thanks guys..

I will order them and do it my self.. looks pretty easy..

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:00 PM
waterrat,

Party Cove is pretty wild. Naked people aren't unusual to see!!! Many people don't know that the cove where it is now (depending on the wind, it's either the east or Lake Dallas side of the cut) has been a hot spot for 20 or more years. The difference is that many years ago it was primarily those that favor the same sex.

Yep, and now you'll find half and fully naked people and partiers tossing beads like it was New Orleans....

We "old folks" with families use the west side of the bridge for Friday night happy hours etc. If we're sans kiddo's you'll see us cranking up the Bee Gees and dancing drunk flipping our gray hair around thinking we look cool!! (just kidding, we know we don't look cool)

Old 03-25-2003 | 12:28 PM
|
the cove

Whne i was up there we used to be tight with the wetrat and the crew but moved due to work so all we have here in Houston is skinny dip cove on the river (San Jac) but now that i have a little one we don't go there with her.. we go tubing etc and beach teh boat to play in the sand and on the floats.. You'll have to come down with the fam and check it out some time..

Quick Reply: Rear anti-Swaybar