Expedition / Navigator

New Alpine in Navi?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Alpine in Navi?

Question for my fellow Navi owners.

I currently have the stock Alpine stereo in my truck. I was thinking of upgrading the Alpine system, and wanted to know if I buy another Alpine headunit, would it connect easily since there is already an Alpine in there? Or, do I have to do a lot of re-wiring, etc?

Has anyone changed the factory headunit with another Alpine? If so, which one did you use? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks

Old 03-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey there,
If you buy an aftermarket stereo, you will have to re-wire it even if it is alpine. I'm not aware of any stereo able to just plug into the factory wiring. They do make a harness that connects the new stereo to your existing factory harness. It's only 15 or 20 bucks, and you don't have cut any factory wiring. I think your setup is similar to mine (I have a 98 Navi) so there should be two harnesses you need. One is for the speakers and you have to unplug the factory amp that is located on the firewall behind the climate controls. The other plugs right into the harness that the factory radio has. The only thing that sucks is if you have the factory sub woofer in the rear, then you need to run a seperate amp because the sub has it's own amp which won't plug into the aftermarket deck.
I changed mine over to the Alpine CVA-1006 head unit, I don't know if it will help much, but these are some pics that I shot when doing it.
http://www.sounddomain.com/id/yhammack
and some more pics
https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=2548
Hope this helps a little.....

Old 03-31-2003, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the info and the pics!! Nice setup you have there!!

Another question for you....

Were you able to still use the radio controls on the steering wheel with the new system? I don't want to loose that great option if I install a new headunit.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Hey thanks....
I was still able to use the steering wheel controls. A company called Pac sells a unit that splices into the steering wheel controls and emulates your remote control for the stereo. You can set the controls on the steering wheel to do whatever 4 fucntions you want it to by programming it with the remote. It's a pretty cool unit, you just have to mount the infared light where the stereo can pick up the signal. It's really small though. Heres some more info on it and where you can get it.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-MRqHbvo....asp?i=127SWIX

Quick Reply: New Alpine in Navi?