Expedition / Navigator

1998 Expy Grill / Brush / Push Bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Expy Grill / Brush / Push Bar

Not sure what the difference b/w a Grill Guard vs a Brush Guard vs a Push Bar, but so far I get the impression that they are basically the same thing.

I'm looking for a black one for my 1998 Expedition. Got any idea to where I can find one? Looking for a reasonable price, but a quality part first.

It looks like there are two types, the "regular" and the "Euro" versions. The "Euro" looks like the nicer one, but I'm up for opinions if you can help me!

Where can I find this? I live in the Milwaukee, WI area but don't mind shopping online. Thank you!!

Old 06-30-2003, 12:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grill guard and brush guard are pretty much the same gig.
Some form of 2 vertical bars, some form of bars across the grill area and some form of bars that make a loop around where the headlight area is.

Push bars are normally 2 vertical bars, with either 2 or 3 large cross bars (one at the top, one just above the bumper, and some with a bar under the bumper)

Some are push bars, with "ears" that attach to them to form the loops around the headlight area.

I will tell you one thing...get one that you like the styling of, but most imporatantly...get one that attaches to the FRAME, not to the bumper or bumper bracket. If you get one that connects to the bumper / bracket, normally the first time you bump something with it, you will tilt the bumper and the guard either forward (if you hit it low) or into the grill (if you hit it high).

Personally, I dont have one on my X, but thats been a limitation of 2 things...1: lack of play money and 2: if i did put one on there, my X wouldn't fit in the garage length wise.

All my previous trucks had one on them though and I used them for pushing stuff from time to time too. In my Dad's suburban last year (which has one on it; mounted to the frame) a girl in Keller in a 96 Toyota Celica pulled out in front of him on a 50 mph section of road, about 5 car lengths away. It destroyed the front end of her car on the drivers side from the front bumper to the back of the front tires. The only thing that happened to his suburban, was the black air dam under the front bumper was cut and the black impact strip on the front bumper was scraped up pretty good.

Quick Reply: 1998 Expy Grill / Brush / Push Bar