Expedition / Navigator

03 Expedition problems anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regardless, any and all mechanical objects are going to have issues. Two coworkers have new Lexus 470's with problems, I've been researching a new vehicle for the wife and have found Toyota Sequoias and Honda Pilots have several serious issues. I guess we'll just have to roll the dice.

Old 07-14-2003, 09:28 AM
Bought the wife one in April, and so far so good... (except for the brake dust issue!) 3500 miles and counting.

Old 07-14-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jimmsimm
Regardless, any and all mechanical objects are going to have issues. Two coworkers have new Lexus 470's with problems, I've been researching a new vehicle for the wife and have found Toyota Sequoias and Honda Pilots have several serious issues. I guess we'll just have to roll the dice.
What are the problems with the Sequoia, just out of curiosity?

Old 07-15-2003, 12:22 PM
Had my 2003 in twice, the second time for over a week, to get rid of the unbalanced/shaky steering wheel problem at 65mph. They ended up taking off the POS Continental tires and putting on Michellins to get it balanced right.

Then we had the "knobbly tire" problem which had to be fixed with a new spring on the front diff.

Then we had to take it in because the air conditioners kept freezing up on us during long trips and wouldn't blow any air.

Worst new vehicle quality I have seen.

Old 07-22-2003, 10:10 AM
My 03 is at the dealer right now for trip number 3 in 45 days. First it was warped front rotors, then the spring replacement in the front diff, now, get this, my whole rear end needs replacing and they offered me a focus as a replacement. The parts are on national backorder and I leave for vacation on Friday. I am going to stop by there at lunch today and demand one of their Expy's on the lot with same equipment as a loaner. Haven't even made my first payment yet.

Old 07-28-2003, 10:08 PM
Thumbs down

I feel everyone's pain. Brake dust - explained as "no longer able to use asbestos pads", AC freeze up - "some sort of badly designed valve", the worst - Memory mirrors that had a memory of their own every time we hit the key fob. Fortunately it was under warranty and repaired (except for the brake dust). Just waiting for the next problem. The wife states we will never buy a Ford again due to quality and resale reasons. For once I agree!!

Old 07-30-2003, 11:41 PM
brake dust

The brake dust concern is under investigation by engineering, has been for awhile. We have seen all kinds of problems and my technicians cringe at the sight of an 03 Nav,......Mirror motors, hatch modules. So far no major engine problems, have done 1 head replacement and 1 trans replacement....Had 1 cust sell 03 Nav, bought Seqouia, traded back in for 03 Nav!

Old 08-01-2003, 07:13 PM
Just had my new '03 Expy FX4 in to get a small scratch buffed out of the passenger door, which was there the day I bought it. While it was in, I asked them to check a squeaking sound coming from the back seat. They called me back later that day to say that the middle seat frame had something rubbing although they couldn't exactly say what - so they ordered a replacement. It came in today which they installed right away.

Got the truck back this afternoon (two and a half total days in the shop). The scratch on the door is like it was never there and same with the squeaking.

Altogether they did a great job. Professional service, good communication, a loaner car to use (my first time driving a Winstar *wince*) and of course, trouble issues solved as expected.

The dealer is Westfield Ford in Countryside Illinois.

Love this truck.

Old 09-18-2003, 09:36 PM
Hey trublu,

what was wrong with the rear end? My 03 has been in the shop for 3 days while they try to figure out a grinding noise during a turn from a stop. It was ok from a straight stop, but would make the noise when making a right or left turn from a stop. I figure it is a problem with the gears, but the dealership said they had to contact Ford. If a new rear end fixes it, i'd be happy.

thanks

Old 09-19-2003, 12:11 AM
my 03 is in the shop for the bouncing steering wheel problem, and it only has 200 miles on it. they called me today and said they spoke with ford and they are either going to swap out the gear box or put a new steering collum on it. sounds like BS to me so i guess ill have right back in there once i go check it out on the highway.

Old 09-19-2003, 07:50 AM
My '03 Expy went in the shop last night for a leaking rear differential. There is a slight leak where the drive shaft enters the rear diff. Hopefully this will be the worst of the problems. I had put 22,000 miles on the '02 F150 I traded in on the Expy with no problems, so I am hoping the Expy will be as good.

Quick Reply: 03 Expedition problems anyone else?