Expedition / Navigator

Battery ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery ?

Ok, I have a little over four years on my X's battery and I think it's going south. Want to replace it before Saturday but which type?
Optima or standard battery. Please give me some info on the two.

Old 06-19-2003, 09:33 AM
battery

Consumer Reports stated that the Optima's are not very special for their price. I've read the same from other car and truck mags. Even though they look pretty.

I have sears diehards in all of my cars, truck and boat with no problems.

Richard

Old 06-19-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. Sears came in mind first, and there best battery goes for 89.99, 3 month free replacement, 100 month prorated. It carries a better warantee then optima. I just wanted to see if there was anything greatly different or better using the optima vs standard. Thanks again for your input.

Old 06-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by hdlouie
Thanks for the reply. Sears came in mind first, and there best battery goes for 89.99, 3 month free replacement, 100 month prorated. It carries a better warantee then optima. I just wanted to see if there was anything greatly different or better using the optima vs standard. Thanks again for your input.

For $90, it better have 3 YEAR free replacement warranty. I've had good luck with Die Hards in the past and just put an $80 Interstate in my Expy. WalMart has a 3-yr free replacement battery for around $60.

Old 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM
Thanks, i'll look into the Walmart version.

Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
I personally have had terrible luck with Sears batteries. I know others that swear by them, but my experience has been poor. Wallmart batteries are made by delco, and I have had reasonable luck with them, plus they are usually somewhat less expensive then most others. Pep Boys sells their Pro-Start, which is made by exide, have had mixed luck with them. I know there are no real answers here, but more experience for you to draw from.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:22 PM
You may be surprised at who makes all those batteries mentioned.

Johnson Controls makes most of the batteries you guys mentioned in your posts. It's similar to Ford in as they manufacture everything from Lincolns, Mercury, and Ford to Jaguars, Land Rover, and Aston Martin.

Click this link to see the battery brands made by Johnson Controls: http://www.johnsoncontrols.com/bg/Pr...?section=brand

I would recommend checking into AutoZone's Duralast battery if that vendor is in your area. The Duralast has a 7 yr pro-rated warranty with 2 yr free replacement and usually sells at a very competitive price. It also comes with high CA/CCA (cranking & cold cranking amps) that are either similar or higher than the Optima & DieHard but cost less than it's "siblings".

Good luck

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2003, 09:11 AM
Nothing like no competition. Seems Johnson Controls has almost all of the battery manufacturing, except Delco, and maybe a couple of others! Certainly limits our options!

Quick Reply: Battery ?