Expedition / Navigator

03' Expy or Tahoe Z71?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
theclear55,
Listen to grinomyte on the previous thread. Relax there a little. Sounds like I struck a chord somewhere with you. Dont worry, I am not trying to convert anyone in this forum to Toyota. I was simply stating the truth, and I am sorry the truth hurts. But, you have a right to drive whatever you want and I hope it treats you well. I live in America where I can voice my opinion anywhere. And, alot of people seem to be interested in this thread, so just because your are not, dont read it anymore . Although, I believe you read the thread because it upsets you that someone like myself, who as of 2 weeks ago owned a Ford F150, decided to go with Toyota. I was in this Forum because I just had a Ford product and was discussing my experience with other Ford owners like yourself. I bet if you had a bad experience like myself, you would be in here as well discussing your distaste with Ford. I appreciate your honesty, but dont appreciate the fact a Ford owner like yourself would disrespect people who are simply voicing their opinion. You know, you are right, I need to get out of this forum, because I cant imagine wanting to be a part of a discussion board with someone like yourself in it. Bottom line, we as Americans want to believe that the vehicle we purchased is the best. Otherwise, we would feel short-changed. So, I do appreciate your entusiasm over your ford and sense the pride you feel for it, but you need to respect others who dont have pride or faith in it. Thanks for the reply grinomyte!

Old 08-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Sigh... I'm not looking to start a fight. I was just stating the fact your question was answered, but you decided to make this a "Ford Sucks" thread. Like I said before, feel free to post a "Ford Trucks Suck and that's the Truth" thread. That way, people know what they are getting into.

What upsets me is that I clicked on your thread expecting to help you out, and all I read was Ford owners defending themselves against you. You are absolutely correct in that you are entitled to express yourself freely as the constitution permits. This is more a matter of ethics. I have the same right to go over to a Toyota forum and start a topic about how Toyotas suck, etc... but what's the point? You are just going to **** people off... common sense.

Regardless, I never attacked you for choosing Toyota over Ford. I was bringing up the point that the topic header is "Expedition vs. Tahoe" and not "Ford's Suck".

Not that it matters, but my first F150 (1997) was a LEMON... I had more problems than most people on this board have, but I learned my lesson. Never get first year models... too many bugs. I still bought another F150 (1999) and its worked like a charm, no problems at all at 120K miles and counting. But hey, you didn't know that.

I will question your dislike to Ford... you were considering to get an Expedition (the reason you started this thread), so I find it curious as to why you went from considering purchasing a Ford to demeaning it overnight. It doesn't really matter, you made the choice that makes you happy. I sincerely wish you luck with your Toyota. Don't forget to wash and wax that thing so it will last as long as the engine does.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:06 PM
Well, I'll throw in my $2.50

I can understand why Max is a little salty on Ford. It couldda happened to anybody.

True story - I NEVER thought I'd see the day when I slid a check across the counter to a Ford Sales MGR for the keys to a Ford. Ford just didn't make ANYTHING that I liked, and that includes the Mustang. I was a GM man, and after GM, Nissan & Honda.

Well, after going 0 for 2 with GM, I vowed to NEVER buy anything built by GM. I was all about flag-waving, apple-pie, US Jobs, etc... Well, I'm still Mom, Apple pie & US jobs, but after having my US built cars strand me on the road on at LEAST 3 occasions- I vowed that my next car would be on Honda or a Nissan. My wife (to be) bought a 1993 Accord EX. ROCK SOLID, no faults ever, for the entire 4 years we had it. Only cash outlay was for oil-changes, and the 30,000 mile service. After my 94 Cutlass Supreme SL coupe started breaking down on me (Before the 1st payment was even made) I was completely disgusted w/GM.

[You can see "The Cut" and our Accord in the background- Killeen, TX 1995/1996 (Yep, I was in the Army too!)]

When the tranny started slipping at 37,000 miles (Just outside the warranty) I went and bought a 1997 Maxima SE the same night. Loved it- no problems. Wife saw my Max and traded her Accord on a 1997 Pathfinder. She loved it, no problems.

But, Dallas traffic made me regret getting the 5-Sp manual, and I loved the F-150 from the frst time I saw that flareside SuperCab. So, reluctantly I looked into getting one. I say reluctantly because I'd been burned twice by American cars, and I'd vowed not to go back. But that Ford was oh-so nice. After much soul-searching & second guesing, I got one. My palms were sweaty as I released the keys to my Maxima, for the key to my Amazon Green S'Cab F-150 Flareside V-8.

And, as much as I STILL love Nissan's and Honda's and as much respect as I have for Toyota- I can honestly say that with 25,000 miles on My S'Cab, 34,000 on my Expedition and 24,000 on my S'Crew, I have never experienced a mechanical failure on either vehicle. From a reliability standpoint, my Ford's have been every bit as good as the 3 Nissan's we've had (2000 Altima SE (Wife hated it, no power), 1997 Maxima SE & 1997 Pathfinder LE) and the 1993 Honda Accord EX.

But, I'm STILL salty on GM. Yet, strangely enough- I'd be willing to give them another try, but it would have to be on a top-end GM. (Corvette, Deville DTS or the nes CTS-V that's coming out.) No other GM's appeal to me, at this time....

Everyone has and is entitled to their opinion, but as someone said- you're going to hear about more problems with US cars because there are far more American cars on the road than imports. What I thought was an interesting statistic was when GM announced the death of Oldsmobile in 1998/1999 ish- that year, Olds sold more cars than Toyota, Nissan and Honda combined; and that was GM's worse selling division. What can we ascertain from that statement- if that's any indication of how many US cars hit the road for every import?

I think US build quality has improved 10 fold over where it was in 1994 - 1995. Heck, even Hyundai has come up in reliability. I also think Nissan, Honda & Toyota have better fit & finish than US manufacturers vehicles. But, with so many being built in the US, by US employees, who probably used to work for GM/Ford/Dodge- I wonder how much longer it would be before their quality slides off. If I buy another Japanese car, it'll be the 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE. Built & meticulously assembled in Japan.

Last edited by Bighersh; 08-12-2003 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:02 AM
Damn, there's some mud flyin' around here.

Max, hope you're happy with your new Toyota. My wife and I love her new Sequoia, but I wouldn't trade my Expy for one. They are a little too nice (read soft and kinda girly) for my taste and the 4Runner was too small for the growing family.

No matter what make or model of vehicle, one must remember that these are machines and machines need service, maintenance and repairs. I researched Toyota Sequoias, Honda Pilots and of course Tahoes and Expys before I bought last month. All have issues no matter what friends, family or neighbors brothers sisters might say. I quickly ruled out the new Expy because it is a first year build with serious issues (and ugly styling in my jaded older Expy lovin' eye). GM has always been and will most likely continue to be pure junk, although I love the style of the Tahoes. The Honda Pilots are first year builds and have a plethora of problems too....I mean a lot of problems per owners on a Honda forum I found while shopping. This basically left the Sequoia as the choice by default, although I've read how Toyota's once stellar quality rating has slipped precipitously as of late. But, since the Sequoia is in its third year and most agreed that the bugs were mostly worked out, I decided to give one a try...time will tell.

As far as American made v. foreign made, that's a whole other debate with many American cars being built in foreign countries and many foreign cars now being built in America.....confused yet?

Old 08-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Truth be told....

Had the Acura MDX have been out and readily available in Oct 2000, that's what I'd be driving today, more than likely.

Havign been recently promoted to white-collar status, I decided to upgrade from my F-150 into something more, upscale.

I was torn between the 2000 Infiniti Q45t, the 2001 Olds Aurora 4.0 and the 2000/2001 Ford Expedition. Crest Caddy/Infiniti used to be closed on Saturday & open on Sunday. The guy had 3 2000's left. $51,000 cars marked down to $36,000. (Same price as Expy & Aurora). Instead of going right over, I lollygagged around w/my cousin who'd come up from San An. to visit. They were closed on Sat. and after they left on Sun., I went. Two of the 3 Q45's were gone, and mine- the Artic White Pearl Q45t, had a "SOLD" sign on the dash. (He who hesitates is lost). Some guy had given them $5,000 to hold it. They had plenty of 2001's, but they were not taking anything off that sticker. ($51,000) **Did I mention that I had a white collar title, but still making blue-collar $ at the time?**

Anyhoo, I strolled over to Olds- and I test-drove the Aurora. I was pleased, but 2 things stopped me. 1.) I really would've rather had the Q. 2.) Previous GM experiences... I had a 1999 F-150, that was great- I liked it- no real need to get rid of it. That Monday, I went to Ford, test drove the Expy- Liked it. But, they were $85.00/month past what I wanted to spend /month- Esp on a Ford! I mean, to me anything north of $700/month is reserved for Lexus, MB, BMW, Jag, etc...

Next day, they called me- they met my price. I went & got the keys, and 3 years later- I still love it! But, if the MDX had been out- that's what I would've bought.

My friend has one- AWESOME. Another friend has a Sequoia. He was gonna get the Expy after seeing mine. He did the whole bit, sat in it, took the seat out & everything- said he was gonna pick one up. Next thing I know, he has a Sequoia Limited. Very nice. After sitting in it, I thought about it- and he said "Man, don't do it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the Expedition instead. The Sequoia feels big at first, but it's not big compared to your Expedition."

So, I guess my default choice became a great choice after all.

Old 08-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Bighersh
Is that sig really necessary?

Old 08-13-2003, 05:23 PM
The clear55, I will pray for you and your Ford. I hope everything works out! Oh, the only reason I was considering an Expy was due to the big rebates and my dealership trying to help me trade out of my lemon F150, but, even after driving an 03' Expy, it doesnt come close to comparing to my 4Runner. Bigger? Yes, but not as reliable not does it have the resale value. Bigger in this case, is definately not always better. Not even the big rebates and higher trade in value for my piece of junk could sway me to another Ford. But, like you said, we are all entitled to our opinion, and thats mine. My 4Runner was manufactured and built in Japan with 100% Japanese parts. Thats very comforting when making that payment every month and when I start the vehicle up. Unmatched build quality and refinement. Its like American vehicles are 50 years behind in technology. Again, I love my country, but we are still building crap. We are slowly starting to build better vehicles that can compete quality wise with foriegn vehicles, but have a long way to go. The only reason that the Toyota Tundra, Sequioa, and Tacomas arent as reliable as they once were is because they are now assembled in America. My dad loves Ford and thats all he will buy--bless his heart . For now, I am done with American junk. However, I hope the quality continues to improve. Maybe 10 years from now I will be driving a Ford again-unless I trade my 10 year old 4Runner with 300,000 miles. We will see. Sincerely, good luck!

Old 08-15-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by maxpaulimus
The clear55, I will pray for you and your Ford. I hope everything works out! Oh, the only reason I was considering an Expy was due to the big rebates and my dealership trying to help me trade out of my lemon F150, but, even after driving an 03' Expy, it doesnt come close to comparing to my 4Runner. Bigger? Yes, but not as reliable not does it have the resale value. Bigger in this case, is definately not always better. Not even the big rebates and higher trade in value for my piece of junk could sway me to another Ford. But, like you said, we are all entitled to our opinion, and thats mine. My 4Runner was manufactured and built in Japan with 100% Japanese parts. Thats very comforting when making that payment every month and when I start the vehicle up. Unmatched build quality and refinement. Its like American vehicles are 50 years behind in technology. Again, I love my country, but we are still building crap. We are slowly starting to build better vehicles that can compete quality wise with foriegn vehicles, but have a long way to go. The only reason that the Toyota Tundra, Sequioa, and Tacomas arent as reliable as they once were is because they are now assembled in America. My dad loves Ford and thats all he will buy--bless his heart . For now, I am done with American junk. However, I hope the quality continues to improve. Maybe 10 years from now I will be driving a Ford again-unless I trade my 10 year old 4Runner with 300,000 miles. We will see. Sincerely, good luck!
Good luck to you to as we will pray for you and your Toyota also. I'm sure the Toyota forums will enjoy your knowledge and insight. Sorry to see a memeber have to leave, but there's probably no reason for you to be here anymore seeing as how disgusted you were with your Ford.

Old 08-22-2003, 12:09 AM
I agree with grinomyte.

And whoever said buy a honda SUV needs to look at a picture of one.

My uncle has a 4 runner and it accelerates slower than my granny's wheelchair. It's nice and all but it's not a "real" suv.. Nothing to compare to an expedition atleast. Looks like a tonka truck parked next to an expedition.

The sequioa is nice but do you want to drive around something that sounds like an indian chief? Not to mention the exterior looks like it's out of star trek with a spoiler on the back and all the jutting curves. The interior is crouded and it's overpriced. If you want to feel better than everyone else buy a toyota.. If you think it would be cool to say, "I drive a toyota" and then feel obligated to give 20 reasons why it's better than an american car, buy a toyta.

Those new acura SUV's look tight though.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by southprk
I agree with grinomyte.

And whoever said buy a honda SUV needs to look at a picture of one.

My uncle has a 4 runner and it accelerates slower than my granny's wheelchair. It's nice and all but it's not a "real" suv.. Nothing to compare to an expedition atleast. Looks like a tonka truck parked next to an expedition.

He obviously doesn't have a 2003.

The sequioa is nice but do you want to drive around something that sounds like an indian chief?

You smokie too many peace pipes kemo sabe.

Not to mention the exterior looks like it's out of star trek with a spoiler --- thank goodness this is an option I didn't opt for.

The interior is crouded and it's overpriced.

The interiors are very vanilla and utilitarian.

If you want to feel better than everyone else buy a toyota.. If you think it would be cool to say, "I drive a toyota" and then feel obligated to give 20 reasons why it's better than an american car, buy a toyta.

Funny, almost everyone I talk to give me all the reasons. I've never tried to justify our's to anybody. Maybe it is different where you live.

Those new acura SUV's look tight though.

See your own comment about the Honda above^^^^^.

Old 09-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Resale value??? If you're going to drive it for 400,000 miles (yeah, right), who'd give you a dime for it?

Quick Reply: 03' Expy or Tahoe Z71?