Expedition / Navigator

03' Expy or Tahoe Z71?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03' Expy or Tahoe Z71?

I am looking to trade my screw for a sport ute. I have been reading alot of threads here and it sounds like the 03' Expy has some issues to work out. So, I am curious as to whethere anyone here has looked at or driven the 03' chevy Tahoe Z71? I test drove it and it felt great. The vehicle was quiet and performed well with the 5.3L Vortec. I also drove the Expy and it felt pretty good as well, but certain parts felt cheap as did the Tahoe. But, the Tahoe outperformed the Expy as far as drivetrain is concerned. The chevy though has some big gaps in the front grill and looks cheap at times, but I am really concerned about some of the issues of the Expy. Help me! I dont know what to do. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:28 PM
I have had no problems with my expo. Buy one.

Old 08-01-2003, 04:31 PM
We are looking at the same vehicles (though non-Z71 Tahoe), and I thought the Expy drove MUCH nicer than the Tahoe. I don't know how to describe it, the handling and steering was just much tighter, kind of like a german car compared to the typical American car. The Tahoe seemed more bouncy too in the suspention. The Expy seemed like we were handling a much smaller vehicle.

Looks wise it is not even close for me, I hate the looks of the Chevy front end. They do have a nice motor though.

The Expy seems more roomy too, and I like some of the features like the slide forward middle seat.

The list of problems does worry me some, though I know some Chevy owners who tow and have had some problems withe the trannies in theirs.

Old 08-02-2003, 02:28 PM
None are going to be trouble free. I really believe you should go for the SUV that fits your wants, and life style best. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the problems you read about related to the 03 Expy's here. For every problem you see posted here, there are thousands of non-problems you don't see. These boards tend to draw the folks that are having some problems, and are looking to share and exchange information, which is the value here.

Old 08-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I would go with the Z71. I looked at the new ones and they look badass. The black ones especially. The new expedition is ugly compared to the 1st gen. If I had to get a new truck it would probably be a Denali, see if you can pick one up.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:23 PM
Looked at them both and decided on a Toyota instead. Each has its own pros and cons, just so happens the Toyota had less cons.

The one thing I hate most about the Chebbies is the interiors....way to 80's-ish for my taste. New Expy's have too many "issues." Neither has good resale value.

Old 08-04-2003, 07:05 PM
I also decided to go with the Toyota 4-runner. I tried out all 3, and the 4runner blows the expy and tahoe out of the water. Ford and Chevy have come a long way, but still have a LONG way to go. Toyota is far more advanced and more refined. I wish american automakers would quit cutting corners and building crap. I am Toyota from here on out. I used to own Toyota and then went to Ford truck...BAD mistake. I have also owned Chevy, but Toyota has brought me back and I know now why I bought a toyota in the first place. Do yourself a favor and buy the 4runner. THere is NO comparison. Good luck.

Old 08-04-2003, 08:41 PM
Tell me about the 4 runners 3rd row seat?

Old 08-05-2003, 07:54 PM
Well, you got me there. BUT, if you need a 3rd row seat, buy a minvan! I mean, come on, how uncomfortable is it to get all the way back there to the 3rd row seat? How often do you really use it? and , look how much cargo space it takes up. I can see you are proud of your expedition and I am happy for you. However, I just traded my 03' Ford Supercrew F150 with the same engine you have, and had nothing but trouble from day one. I test drove the expy, tahoe, and finally the 4runner. I hate to admit it just like you, but, japanese vehicles are far superior to american made vehicles. Actually, most fords are produced in Mexico now and Chevy is mostly Canada now. Anyway, my point being, I work hard for my money and I am going to invest in something that is top of the line - even if its a jap made vehicle. Nothing against your Ford, I just owned one, but, I will never own another Ford again. I tried Ford just because I was feeling patriotic and wanted to support our american workforce. BUT, being a Toyota lover and previously having 3 toyotas that were NEVER in the shop for anything but oil changes, I had no choice but to come back to Toyota. Alot of my friends told me to stick to Toyota because they had also owned Fords and had lots of trouble. I should have listened. But, I learned my lesson and will never but anything but Toyota again. Ford products have taken a big hit as far as quality goes. Do the research yourself. I just hope that you have good luck with yours. As far as the 3rd row seat, I will never haul more than 5 people in my vehicle anyway.

Old 08-06-2003, 03:04 PM
I need the room for taking the family on trips with my 19 foot bass boat strapped to the back, dog, kid, gear, etc. A 4-Runner isn't big enough for me. The Sequoia is nice, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$44. The Tahoe Z71 on a dealers lot around here was stickered at $46,000 something. I can get an Expy XLT right now for 31,050. Even if the Chevy comes down alot off sticker, that's alot of inital savings to make up for in resale. I didn't even price a Sequoia, but i think I read they are moe than the Tahoe's.

I'm glad your happy with the Toyota. My buddy has a Tacoma he hates, and has had more probs than my F-150. My wife has a Lexus ES300 that has been rock solid for us. I have nothing against Toyota's at all, but I think the crap about them being more refined, better riding, etc. is a bunch of malarky. Especially in the trucks and SUV's. They are probably on average more reliable, but hit some Toyota truck boards and you will find plenty of guys with problems.

Old 08-06-2003, 04:26 PM
Thats precisely why I did not get a Toyota truck--not to say that they are problematic, but that they are both final assembled in USA. The 4Runner on the other hand, is 100% Japanese built with 100% Jap parts--that is exactly the reason I went with the toyota along with the refined ride and quality. I love my country, but lets face it, american build quality sucks! Heck, I have several friends who have worked for Ford and Chevy assembly lines, and they have explained to me how crappy the build quality is on the assembly lines. They drive Nissans and Toyotas. Look at epinions.com---this website will give you some insight to how many people (%) have been having problems with Expy's and Tahoe's. Of course, I understand that not all Expys and Tahoes are bad, BUT, NOWHERE near the quality or reliability of a 4Runner. I would love to keep buying American, but I work hard for my money and I will not continue feeding the economy tax money for pieces of crap. That is why Expys and Tahoes take such a dramatic "hit" when you drive them off the lot. However, I hope you have better luck--I really do. But, I will still have my 4Runner years from now with 400,000 miles on it and nothing but oil changes and tires. I hope you have the same luck. If not, get a Seqioua. You get what you pay for!

Old 08-06-2003, 07:02 PM
I wish you good luck with your Toyota they are usually good but if you get a bad one dont expect Toyota to do squat my 4 runner poured water in the rear compartment from day 1 by the time I lemon lawed it it had spent almost 2 months at the dealers had it to 2 diffrent dealers.I have had very little trouble from my Expy or my Super Crew

Old 08-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by maxpaulimus
But, I will still have my 4Runner years from now with 400,000 miles on it and nothing but oil changes and tires.

Your smoking crack.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:33 AM
400000? hahahaaha Good luck buddy, you will need it.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:31 AM
Maxi had a rear end seal leak and says he has had nothing but trouble ... he posts about changing tires because he did not like the Goodyears ... He post a question about a Tahoe and then decides on a Toyo ...

Funny ... it seems maxi can't make up his mind and has more cents than sense. I would be surprised if he has an auto for more than two years.

Quick Reply: 03' Expy or Tahoe Z71?