Expedition / Navigator

Draining Engine Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Draining Engine Coolant

Hello All:

I am new to this board and would like to post a question.

I have a 2001 2WD Ford Expedition and I need to replace the engine coolant. I've searched under the vehichle for the drain**** but was unable to find anything that even resembled a place where you would drain the coolant.

There is a large, closed loop clamp on the bottom hose which looks very difficult to remove.

I'll need to drain it multiple times because I plan to flush it until it's clean.

Can someone please reply with the location of the drain****?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

Old 09-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Funny how the forum ****'s out that word.

Anyhow, it's on the passenger side at the bottom. Pretty easy to do, but if you want to get it completly flushed, it may be easier to have a shop do it with the "flush-o-matic" machine. I did mine and it was a pain. I don't think I got the concentration of antifreeze I wanted either.

And don't forget to use distilled water. I went through probably 10-12 gallons trying to flush out the hose water and old stuff.

Old 09-01-2003, 08:10 PM
Thanks Family Ride....

I'm not sure how I'm missing it, I just went into the garage and looked again. Don't see it.

Would it be possible to include a digital pic of the location of the drain-u-know-what (no ****)!

Thanks,

Bob

Old 09-02-2003, 12:03 PM
The drainc@ck is very hard to see. It is on the passenger side but up higher than one would normally imagine. It is not the old style metal valve, rather it is plastic.

I flushed my system a couple weeks ago. The best way I could think of to clean the whole system is to drain the radiator, remove the t-stat (replace housing), disconnect upper radiator hose, start vehicle with heater on high and run a gardenhose through the overflow tank until clean water comes out the disconnected upper hose. Drain the radiator, reinstall the t-stat (or install new 195*) and add a couple gallons of antifreeze.

You think the drainvalve is hard to find, try to locate the radiator cap.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:06 PM
jimmsimm is right. That's important to know if you're looking for what you think should be a drain-thingy. I think I used a piece of garden hose on it to get it to drain in jugs.

So look for a plastic (white) "thingy" that a 5/8 garden hose might fit on.

Old 09-02-2003, 11:22 PM
It's white, plastic and six-sided, like a lug nut. You should be able to see it from above. It points towards the rear of the vehicle.

Old 09-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll have to wait until Saturday before I can attempt this again. There's a rubber apron below the radiator that's secured by plastic push locks. I'm presuming that thiis has to be removed.

Quick Reply: Draining Engine Coolant