Expedition / Navigator

('01 Expy) Noises, noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ('01 Expy) Noises, noises

Has anyone experienced what can best be described as what sounds like going over speed bumps for a second or two at roughly 45-55 mph? My '01 has 36K mi on it and while accelerating moderately, I periodically hear what sounds like speed bumps at anywhere between 45 and 55 Mph. My first thought was U-joints but It doesn't always do it. So my question is, has anyone else heard these type of noises? And if so what are they caused by? The Expy also has the LLS susp. in case that may make a difference. (but I don't think so.) Thanks for the help.
EH

Old 09-08-2003, 05:08 PM
If my recollection is correct, this is symtomatic of the 4R100 transmission when it needs the fluid changed, if your lucky! Seems I recall reading a number of folks had eliminated this noise by servicing their transmission.

Old 09-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Does it sound more like going over "rumble strips" than speed bumps? If so, DVDs is correct. This is a very common ailment of these vehicles....has something to do with the torque converter. Try changing the tranny fluid (all 14 quarts) and see if it helps. It did on mine.

Old 09-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks

Thanks for the help. Rumble strips is what I meant, sorry. I'll try getting the trans serviced and Hopefully that'll solve my problem. Thanks again.
EH

Quick Reply: ('01 Expy) Noises, noises