Expedition / Navigator

I'm in the Market for an '03 Eddie Bauer Expy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I'm in the Market for an '03 Eddie Bauer Expy

Hello,

I've been a King Ranch Super Crew F150 owner for two years now. A new family member is going to change my space and seating requirements soon and I want to change to an Expedition and sell my SuperCrew KR F150. Is there anything that existing '03 Expy owners would like to share with me before I take the plunge? I plan to purchase probably next week if my dealer can locate the specific unit I'm looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~DM~

Old 09-15-2003, 11:58 AM
What do you want to know? I don't have the EB version but I can tell you the '03 Expy is nice. I am 6'2", 210 lbs and can fit in the 3rd row seat without touching the back of the 2nd row seat! It drives and rides very well, much better than the '02 F150 4x4 I traded on it. It handles much better than the truck due to the independent suspension. It has a lot of nice features, I don't think you will regret it.

Old 09-15-2003, 12:47 PM
FX,

Thanks for the reply and info. I guess I didn't have any specific questions but your comments did help. I guess when you go from one great vehicle to another, it's hard to ask specific questions other than will it be a mistake. A comment coming from you is actually perfect since I'm going from a truck to a SUV.

Also, someone who has had both a pre '03 and a later model Expy could share with me the big advantages with the new designs that may or may not be obvious.

Any additonal comments from other owners would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

~DM~

Old 09-15-2003, 02:26 PM
I love the Expedition, I curretnly own a 00 EB and cant see owning anything but an Expy again! I am actually considering trading mine in right now for a 2003 because of all the rebates that are going on. Things I like about the 2003

1. Third seat now folds into floor
2. Overhead Entertainment option
3. I love the dash and bezels

I have to go shopping now .. . ... . . .

Old 09-15-2003, 04:07 PM
From what I understand, if you are over 8 years old, you are not going to fit in the 3rd row seat of pre-'03 Expys. Plus the 3rd seat folds flat.

You mentioned a new family member which I am assuming is a baby. If so, the middle seat in the second row slides foward indepedently of the outer 2 seats. So you can put a baby seat in the middle and slide it forward so you can reach it from the front seat.

I am not sure why you would trade a SuperCrew on an Expy though unless you need the extra seating? If I had bought the SuperCrew like I wanted in the first place, I would not have traded.

Old 09-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Just picked up an '03 EB Expy for my wife and here's some observations:

+ Third row seat that's usable for full size adults.
+ Third row seat that folds flat.
+ Steering is no longer over-assisted as in earlier Expy.
+ The ride is much better on freeway when compared to earlier Expy.
+ Seat/mirror memory comes in handy when changing driver.
+ Adjustable pedals.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:57 AM
Hello all,

I'm picking up my '03 4x4 Eddie Bauer Expedition either later today or tomorrow morning. I'm trading in the '01 4x4 KR and I will sadly miss that truck, it's been great.

I'm exchanging the Continental Contitrac tires for Michelin's LTX-M/S on all five with an upcharge to my dealer. The Eddie Bauer unit has only one option, the rear power fold seat. I wanted to get a DVD player too but my dealer was unable to locate a Laser Red with only two options, as a matter of fact they were unable to find any '03s with any color that had just those two options.

I've ordered a Sony MV-7101-DS mobile DVD player from Crutchfields and I will install it myself. Crutchfield had an open box unit for $150 off the $999 price and I jumped. The open box unit has the same 30 no questions asked return policy as well as a full factory warranty. They claimed they opened it to take pictures of the unit for their website. The video monitor has a 7" screen and an in console DVD player. The unit has one set of wireless Infrared head phones and I ordered an extra set as well as an FM modulator to feed in the audio signal to the factory stereo via the antenna wire.

I'm going to get the front windows tinted to 35% tomorrow or next week.

Wish me luck...

Later,

~DM~

Old 09-20-2003, 03:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well Dave, I hate to see you leaving the KR family but, I totally understand and further know that you're going to love that Expy. Honestly, I've seriously considered an Expy as my next ride as well. We are thinking about having a little one in the future (next year or so) so, I think we can justify it... especially when the gas mileage will be about the same from my 01 KR.

You're always going to be one of the founding fathers of the KR family here on f150online.com and we expect you to keep in touch... even if you don't have Castano Leather anymore...

RP

Old 09-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Rock and others,

I'll miss the KR as well as all the talk and rhetoric. I went today to see the new ride and I loved it at first site. We sat in it and took it for a drive and it's very nice. The wife and my son left in her vehicle and I stayed to look more deeply. After crawling under this thing I was shocked. I found lots of evidence of severe corrosion from what looks like salt water damage. The dealer is more than 200 miles from the nearest beach and there was only sixty miles on this thing when it was driven down from Yadkinsville, NC to Charleston, SC. The truck now has a little more than 400 miles on it. I'll attach a few links to some photos that I took today.

The transmission are seem to be affected the most but there is evidence of severe corrosion from front to back. There is corrosion around the brake line fittings, transmission pan is very bad with heavy pits, frame in some places if rusting, running board screws are rusted badly, all driveline components are very rusty but that is more common I think. All rubber hoses no matter where are covered with a whitish powder as is the transmission pan. I'm pissed and I will not take delivery of this thing until it's all corrected.

Here's a few pics of the outside and underneath.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-453-70519.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-453-70520.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-453-70521.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-453-70522.jpg
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...-453-70523.jpg

Does anyone recognize this kind or corrosion? Could it have been during transport from the factory in Febuary '03? Any ideas?

Later,

~DM~

Old 09-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yikes... I certainly would expect this out of a vehicle out of Detroit that's 8 years old but, not one that is NEW with 400 miles!! That's rough....

Not sure what to tell you bud... I have to think that I'd be looking at it long and hard and/or having the corrision protection package added at the dealer's cost...

Won't a good undercoating impede the progression of the corriosion?

RP

Old 09-21-2003, 08:48 AM
Rock,

Actually, the truck was supposed to have only 60 miles on it before it was dealer transferred from Yadkinville, NC to Charleston SC and that's what racked up the miles. Maybe the bonded and insured drivers took a detour to Myrtle Beach and took it for a swim in the ocean . Really, I've never lived up north but my best guess is that this truck had been driven on snow roads that were heavily salted and later was left to rust out while sitting on the dealer's lot in NC for six months, dunno.

I think the undercoating would help but only after thoroughly cleaning and treating the affected areas first.

Are there any owners with experience as to what kind of damage is indicitive of driving on roads that are covered in salt during winter season?

Later,

~DM~

Quick Reply: I'm in the Market for an '03 Eddie Bauer Expy