Expedition / Navigator

expy exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question expy exhaust questions

has anybody out there used a Magnaflow muffler on their expy?i talked to someone yesterday whose opinions are considered the gospel by f-150 online users(no name- dont want to start any crap) and i was told the BEST setup would be the Magnaflow cat-back system #15608. I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY LOW END TORQUE!!! as this is a heavy suv that lives in the city. i wanted to go with a SI/DO muffler with turn outs behind each wheel, but i was told a SI/DO muffler would have LESS LOW END TORQUE than a SI/SO muffler AND because Magnaflow doesnt offer a SI/DO catback system, i would have to have it custom piped at an exhaust shop(which is fine), but it would not work as well(TORQUE) as the "flow tested" cat-back SI/SO system. Does ANYBODY have any personal experience with this??? I would really appreciate any info anybody has to offer!

P.S. Its a 2000 expy/4.6L/4x4

Old 09-25-2003, 10:28 PM
It would be a shot in the dark unless you find someone that done it. More than likely dropping pipe diameter would help as well

Old 09-25-2003, 10:38 PM
Torque you say?

Let me tell you-
Your assometer would have to be very finely calibrated to notice a loss in low-end torque.

I have the Borla SI-DO Cat-Back on mine, and she sounds sweet. Andm I have the 4.6L and I haven't noticed a loss in performance. She runs well, sounds great, and has no problems hoisting me, the family and all our stuff to where we wanna go, as fast as we wanna go.

Stop & Go traffic in Dallas, or cruising on I-20.

If you want sweet, but not overbearing sound, go w/Borla. There a few $ more, but you won't be disappointed. It's only loud at the initial (VrOOOOoooom) after that, she behaves like a well-bred stallion.

Note- Good luck getting them run out both sides. I took mine to 2 or 3 customer muffler shops, and they wouldn't do it because the rubber brake line is right there on the passenger side and may be effected in the long-term by the heat.

So, I have both pipes exiting on the passenger side, right after the mud flap. She looks good.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:24 PM
I've got the Magnaflow catback. I haven't had any loss in torque that I can feel, however I installed it at the same time as an AF1 intake and SuperTuner. So, I am not a good test case for the exhaust alone.

While on the topic of SOTP feel, based on putting everything in at once, I think I would have probably been disappointed if I had only done any one component. The improved performance just isn't that significant. I should have put things on 1 at a time to really see where the improvement was coming from, but didn't.

The sound of the Magnaflow is good however I will caution that there is a drone at 2000rpm on my setup. Too loud for my wife's tastes when she is in the drivers seat (louder there since the muffler is in the opposite corner - really weird effect). I don't think this is limited to the Magnaflow, just the fact of having 'cab' over the entire exhaust.

Overall. I'm pleased w the Magnaflow but would caution not to expect big SOTP performance improvement form just changing out the exhaust.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:25 PM
4Xpy4, is your Expy black?

Old 10-07-2003, 07:27 PM
I did not use a cat-back system, but had a MagnaFlow installed and the resonator cut out. I love the way it sounds...loud enough with my foot in it, but barely audible at cruisin speed. That was exactly what I told the installer I wanted, but I didn't know if I should get a Flowmaster or what. He said the Flowmaster would probably be a little louder at speed than I was looking for.

Old 10-07-2003, 09:08 PM
FamilyRide, yes it is black. I can say for certain it is the only black Xpy with Safari Rack, bull guard and hella lights in Flower Mound (and probably Lewisville too...

Old 10-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by 4Xpy4
FamilyRide, yes it is black. I can say for certain it is the only black Xpy with Safari Rack, bull guard and hella lights in Flower Mound (and probably Lewisville too...
I thought so. I think you were following me one night a few weeks ago. Going west on 1171, west of 2499. Once I turned off it sounded like you punched it a couple times as you went by; almost like you were trying to play. Unfortunatly you couldn't get ahead of me up to that point.

(of course being on 2 lanes at that point didn't help)

Old 10-07-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by FamilyRide
Once I turned off it sounded like you punched it a couple times as you went by; almost like you were trying to play. Unfortunatly you couldn't get ahead of me up to that point.
(of course being on 2 lanes at that point didn't help)

Must have been headed out to Christinas for some margaritas

Wouldn't have been much of a contest, I think. You have me by 500lbs (i'm 4X4) and a gear ratio (i'm still at 3.31). I'm not too much of a racer in the Xpy, however in my daily driver (Audi S4, twin turbo V6, blue and also the only one in town) I'm pretty quick to drop the hammer and row gears.

Old 10-09-2003, 04:59 PM
I just installed the Magnaflow catback last week on my 03. Beautiful sound and beautiful piece of hardware. No loss at all and no problems at all with the install--bolted right up.

Old 10-30-2003, 11:03 PM
4Xpy4

Which Magnaflow catback system did you install?

Old 10-30-2003, 11:07 PM
expyusaf

Which Magnaflow muffler did you install?
5"x8", 18" case
5"x8", 24" case
5"x11", 22" case
Thanks

Old 10-31-2003, 12:12 AM
I installed the 15609? I believe. It's whatever the stainless, standard Magnaflow catback that fits the Expy. Got it from Troyer as part of a Stage 1 package.

Quick Reply: expy exhaust questions