Expedition / Navigator

Lightning motor to Expedition

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lightning motor to Expedition

I am want to put the motor out of a lightning into a expedition. Is this possible. If so is there a site for it or does some one know what parts will be needed.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:15 PM
Probably better off buying an after market supercharger and installing. Less costly and not a major mechanical transplant. I think a Lightning motor would produce too much torque for the stock drive train and you would eventually end up breaking things. Which brings me to say, you will probably have to beef up the drive train if you put the L motor in.

Old 10-04-2003, 02:34 PM
well i have the motor and transplanting it is not a big deal. It is myself and 3 other guys who do alot of performance work. I just need to know if the motor will bolt up or not

Old 10-05-2003, 06:07 AM
wow...that sounds like a good idea...but why dont you just supercharge the expedition motor?

Old 10-05-2003, 05:58 PM
why do it? Because i have nothing better to do with my time and someone elses money. As for towing this vehcile is not used for that. i just need to know what parts.

I am guessing

motor trans driveshaft rear axle

Old 10-06-2003, 01:50 AM
I am sure the guys here can give you good input, also recommend going to the Lightning section and asking the same question. I think they have fielded this topic before. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:44 PM
yes it will bolt right up. If I were you I would get a different tranny like a monster box from greg. They are only 2k and can stand up to the punishment. The swap has been done in the regular trucks and it isn't as bad as it sounds. I think I would put in a navigator motor instead but to each his own.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:50 PM
should the rear end be changed or will it hold up

Old 10-06-2003, 01:36 PM
Since you seem committed to doing this, be prepared for all kinds of problems especially electrical ones; the wiring harnesses aren't even close.

Lightning's do not have Rear A/C, Air Suspension, only come in 2 wheel drive, and are missing 3 doors and other nifty gizmos (rear wiper, defogger etc) that won't work anymore without a lot of PIA splicing and fussing.

Have fun.

Last edited by flafonman; 10-06-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:43 PM
You can get help from the perfomance guys in the Lightning forum, but a Navi motor would be waaaay easier.

Last edited by flafonman; 10-06-2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:46 PM
well good thing i am great at wiring. besides that what does it have to do with the ac and extra doors.

Old 10-06-2003, 02:00 PM
The L motor doesn't have the air compressor for the suspension, or the harness hookup for that matter. The AC system isn't designed to work with the one in an Expy. The wiring for an Expy and an F150 vary widely in Audio, Interior,Exterior, and Drivetrain. Now step up to an L and they are really different. The 4X4 system, if equipped, will be difficult with its solenoids and vaccuum system. Not to mention after it is all done the completed vehicle will be considerably heavier, and lack the handling ( no matter how you try the Expy will be a pig compared to the lighter and lower L) and perfomance; in all not worth it.

I'm not saying you can't do it, any problem can be solved if you throw enough time and money at it.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Yep, it'll drop in. Of course you're alrteady getting all the info on the PCM. A lot of the functions your geting info about are controled by the GEM, not the PCM. For that matter, you may be able to have someone tune the Expy PCM. Everything else is the same.

If you're pulling a 5.4 out of the Expy, the tranny is the same but has "softer" internals. Rearend is a 9.75; no reason to sweat that.

Don't forget fuel pump, alternator etc. unless you have the entire thing and all accesories already.

The benefit to dropping that one in is that you have a stonger bottom end. You could SC the Expy 5.4 and get the same power but have to be careful with boost. I know someone that (from an SVT Ford dealer) that experimented droping the L SC on a stock 5.4 in a 4x4 Supercrew. They even swapped for the L heads which would be the killer. They estimated 10K miles and were right on. Ran great but at about 10k miles they took the bottom end out in pieces. Granade!

Quick Reply: Lightning motor to Expedition