Expedition / Navigator

D@MN, wish I'd waited! (Pathfinder Armada)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D@MN, wish I'd waited! (Pathfinder Armada)

My seat's lumbar thingy was popping so I took it in (relucatntly) to get fixed. I was in denial- out of 4 full-sized Ford's, this was the first time I'd had to take it in for what I considered a "Quality" issue. They got me in and out in about 2-3 hours. While waiting for my wife to come get me, I strolled over to teh Nissan Dealership (Same parking lot) and what did my wandering eyes see? 10 brand new Nissan Pathfinder Armada's.

Now, I've upset many a fod fan with my "Any bets on the 2004 truck of the Year" thread in the 2004 F-150 message board; so it's no secret that I like Nissans as much as I like Fords. The Expedition is nice, I REALLY like it, but man- after seeing and sitting in the Pathfinder Armada- I kinda wish I'd waited....

Truth be told, I went to look at the Armada first, but as luck would have it- there was no Armada's on the lot then- so I got the Expy after being pitched a good deal. The pictures do it no justice- the ONLY thing I can complain about on the Armada's design is the way they seemingly whacked off the **** of it- it's very flat in the back- but on the inside, with that floor mounted shifter, the AM/FM/6-disc in dash wih Sirrus/XM radio built in (You pick one, then you buy the service extra $10.00/month) not to mention the Navigation system; 18" wheels with fat tires on it- and the one that truly caught my eye was shod in 6-spoke 20" chromes... The enterior feels roomier, and the salesman said it's a tad bigger than the Expedition in every measure, but with more power, and better fuel economy.

It's a very solid looking and feeling vehicle. Not knowing when wifey would arrive, I passed on the test drive- but I'll make sure to get that next time.

1st impression- Very nice vehicle- Good Job Nissan.

They are already marking them down. An SE with cloth stickered for $36,000 was marked down to $32,000. The Loaded SE 4x4, with 20's & Navigation was $43,000 marked down to $39,000.00

That tells me that the Titan isn't going to be as expensive as folks think....

Again, fanatics- don't start flaming me for praising Nissan; I'm fully aware that this is a Ford site and I'm a Ford fan too- I'm a bit pissed that I had to bring it in at the 3-week mark, reminiscient of my GM reliability days, but I guess two unscheduled trips to the dealership in 4.7 years of Ford ownership and 87,000 miles across 4-models isn't bad. I just hope it's not a sign of things to come, by it happening so early. Makes one wonder; seeing how my truck had been on the lot since January, I guess people had been picking around it- for whatever reason. Maybe they knew something I didn't......

Last edited by Bighersh; 10-26-2003 at 12:26 AM.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:15 AM
Big:
Hey, I drove it. (Actually I drove a Titan and an Armada)
I liked it.
I like the Titan better than the Armada though.

The goofiest thing on the Armada from the outside is the luggage rack on the roof. 2x side bars from the rear to the back of the 2nd row doors, then a gap, then a horizontal bar in front of the 2nd row doors.

but I gotta say i LOVE the interior of the Titan, and 2nd row doors that open 168-degrees (that would be useful on any vehicle).

Old 10-26-2003, 06:14 AM
BigH,

Don't get mad at me either, I know this is a Ford only website but maybe these guys will be a little more receptive to your comments on a JapTrap.

http://www.nissanforums.com/forumdis...hp?forumid=104

Go and tell them how you really feel about your Expedition and then tell them that you'll be joining them soon as your Ford doesn't come up to your level of standards.

I used to work for a Nissan dealer and I have frineds that still work at them, they are as busy as any repair shop for any other manufacturer, just go and buy one and then you'll see for yourself. While you're at it, watch the Pearl Harbor movie again to refresh your memory.

My belief is you shouldn't jump ship when you start taking on water, you must start pumping and help plug the hole. Anyone can jump ship, not many can stay on and help with the cause...

I'm very disappointed to see this thread and to see you start it...

~DM~

Last edited by DAVEMAN; 10-26-2003 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by DAVEMAN
BigH,

Don't get mad .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................
I'm very disappointed to see this thread and to see you start it...

~DM~
Daveman, let me guess. You got up early, a little rainy, nothing to do. Check out the F-150 website and see if I can stir up a little controversy to get the ole' blood flowing this morning.....

Old 10-26-2003, 12:55 PM
Daveman, I'm stunned...

I'm surprised at your response to me, if the truth must be told.
Surprised, but- I won't lose any sleep.

Dave, I thought we were cool- but are you suggesting that after dropping darn-near $40K on a new Ford (Or any new car), that I should expect something less than quality at all levels? Well, if you're so easily pleased I'm sure once you're put in-charge, people will love working for you. ‘Don’t worry about standards; just do the best you can...'

I expect a certain level of quality- and if I wanted an unreliable vehicle, I'd have just went and got a Hyundai or a GM for that matter. I went back to Ford because (And I've said this many times) I've had no problems with my Ford's, and to date I've been pleasantly surprised; so- forgive me for letting you guys know that at least in one area so far, my Ford wasn't up to par.

Of all the people I've seen post on here, I thought you would appreciate some impartiality- but, I guess that's only appreciated with the impartial opinion, happens to coincide with the majority opinion.

For my truck, according to the dealer, the seat wasn't installed on its rails properly- I guess that's my fault though. I should have asked if the seat was installed properly before I bought it.

And please, don't come at me with Pearl Harbor. Tora-Tora-Tora was a much better movie. You guys always run back to Pearl- Were you wounded there? Caught a little shrapnel perhaps? My Great Uncle was at Pearl Harbor when they came under attack. He was one of the lucky ones. He fought Japan tooth and nail, and made it home in one piece. Besides, I think we got the last laugh on that anyway- remember Hiroshima or Nagasaki? I think we're even.... Besides, this is 2003, not 1945, and it's certainly not 1941. Most of us weren’t even born then; in fact, some of our parents weren't even born then- although I hate what happened there, can we please get past Pearl Harbor- that was 62 years ago.

We American's are in HEAVY trade with the Japanese, they benefit and so do we. Unless you don't have a TV, VCR, DVD, Microwave, Playstation, Nintendo, X-Box, PC, PC Monitor, Stereo, Speakers, etc. in your home- then you're buying Japanese all the time- why so much beef against the cars? If you feel like that, box all your stuff up that says 'Made in Japan'- and send it all back.

And, FYI- I’ve owned 3 Nissans (1997 Maxima SE, 1997 Pathfinder LE & 2000 Altima SE), and 1 Honda (1993 Honda Accord EX). They were GREAT, we never had a quality or mechanical problem on either of them spanning 8 years, 4 cars and 120,000 miles... yes, their shop mechanics were busy too. (Oil changes, services, and tire rotations)

Just kidding, it’s a machine- but from what I know from my experience, what I've read and have heard; Japan simply builds better products. I wish it weren't true, but Consumer Reports & JD Power reports this stuff. Just so you know, the Titan & Armada were designed, born & raised in America- so according to the constitution, they're as American as you and I.

Now, please understand- I'm not Japanese, nor am I 'Pro-Japanese" I'm only offering an observation- you can take it, or leave it... I'm American; not only that, but I'm a former 10-year Army Veteran who not only loved the country enough to "talk up" for it on a webpage, but went so far as to actually serve her- gladly. Not only that, but went and put foot-to-@$$ for this country in 1990-1991 in this little thing called Operation(s) Desert Shield, Desert Storm and Desert Calm. So don't ever try to put any Anti-American sentiment, veiled or unveiled towards me. I'm American- just like you.

Now that we have that cleared up- Yes, I was impressed with the Armada; and I'm impressed with the Expedition. If I was "Anti-Expedition" I would not have bought the Expedition; I'll have it for a few years- and we'll see what happens. But I can't say with 100% certainty that I'd have one today if the Armada had been out on October 5, 2003. It's a nice truck and in my opinion, it's equal to the Expy in every way one can tell by, from simply sitting in it. I didn't get to drive it so, I reserve judgment on that.

Last edited by Bighersh; 10-26-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:59 PM
Bigh,

Well, if I recall correctly, every friend I ever had throughout life, we had at least one good scrap before we called each other friends...usually after that we were set for a long time

I'm not sure where we stand...

This is my only point: This is not a Nissan forum, it's a Ford one.

Promote Nissans elsewhere; I could care less otherwise.

BTW, if you buy a Nissan, I'll still drink a beer with you but my truck discussions may be somewhat limited as I don't like Japanese autos for many reasons. IMO, if we don't protect and support domestic autos, then we may as well throw in the towel as it'll be like waving a white flag.

Later,

~DM~

Old 10-26-2003, 09:19 PM
I'm just pleased that Nissan decided to pay homage to the 1959 Rambler station wagon through the rear quarter window styling.

Old 10-26-2003, 10:58 PM
ROFLMAO at the rambler comparison, hahaha. In my transmission mechanic days, we used to call those fine POS jack backs because the drive shaft was enclosed. In order to remove the transmission, you had to jack back the rear end about six inches to disconnect the drive shaft. What a PIA that was as well as being a POS. If I recall correctly, it was a Borg Warner 3 speed automatic but I could be mistaken.

Damn, I feel better already after that belly laugh, thanks PaulC.

~DM~

Old 10-29-2003, 06:04 PM
This is a free country whereby those guys who died at Pearl Harbor, and in all the wars for that matter, did so for our freedom(s). Hence we can buy whatever and say whatever we want (within reason and legal limits).

Personally, I think the Nissan's are ugly, no make that fugly. I wouldn't even consider owning one, but that's just me. I'm sure others will buy some and it might even be a hit, who knows. I don't know much about Nissan's production facilities, but I do know most of the Jap company vehicles are now produced right here in the good ole U, S of A so the loyality argument is not nearly as strong as it used to be.

Anyway, carry on gentlemen.

Old 11-03-2003, 05:31 PM
nice on the inside... but would be caught dead in public behind the wheel?

Just ride the old riding a scooter/sex with a heavy woman joke... lots of fun until your friends catch you!

Old 11-04-2003, 02:39 AM
Reality is reality

All I can say is reality is reality. I love the look of the F150, but Ford did make some major blunders. NO side airbags, no curtain airbags is absurd for an ALL new 2004 Truck. What were they thinking!!

As far as domestic vs foreign goes, well, I would rather buy domestic, but our U.S. auto manufacturers are not on top of the game. Side Airbags should be basic, especially in 2004, and what about a navigation system? Again, I would love to have an F150, but not at the expense of safety. I too am going to check out a Titan.

How in the world could Ford not put side and curtain airbags in their truck. I am so pissed at them. I love the look, but I am not compromising safety.

Old 11-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Re: Reality is reality

Originally posted by dsemmen

How in the world could Ford not put side and curtain airbags in their truck. I am so pissed at them. I love the look, but I am not compromising safety.

Like what you drive now has side airbags?

Old 11-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Nissan has a great product all across the board. I saw the Armada & sat inside. I was very impressed especially a large SUVgetting better fuel economy than the Expy. but I love my Ford,

Last edited by rhdf150; 11-05-2003 at 11:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:39 PM
BigH, I'm with you bud, that new nissan ROCKS

I know that they are being less then truthful in their 305 HP & 279 lb ft. ratings for the 5.6L engine . . . it's way more powerful then that!

The only things I don't like about it is the front end styling and the way the rear doors slope downward . . . if the aftermarket comes out with a grill that does away with the big ole chrome vertical elements and a body color bumper it will be perfect.

btw, for those that don't know, both the armada and titan are built in the good ole US of A by folks like you and me

EDIT: of-course it will be quite a while before I would even consider replacing "Betty"

Last edited by Petrol; 11-06-2003 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:09 PM
BigH,

I was wrong to have ever mentioned anything about Pearl Harbor, you were correct there and I apologize about that part. I respect the fact that you served our country in peacetime and at war.

Everyone,

IMHO, no vehicle is truely MADE in this country unless the design control is in the US of A. If the design control is in a foreign country, then the vehicles are just assembled here, not designed here. When the Japanese and the German's and all other foreign car manufacturer's allow design control to be in the US of A by American Engineers, then and only then will I agree that they are MADE in the US of A. If the design control is maintained in a foreign country then assembling the autos here is just like throwing us a bone and to make us feel better about buying foreign autos. The engines, transmissions and other vital components come over the water and that is not the same thing as designing, manufacturing and assembling it here. For example, if a Ford truck is assembled in Canada, that doesn't make it Canadian. If a product is designed in the US of A and assembled elsewhere then it's an American product that was assembled in a foreign location.

I must agree that there are quite a few fine autos and a few decent trucks made by some foreign countries like Japan, Germany and England but if I decided to buy one I think I would not talk about it on a Ford Website, but that's just me. Each to his own but promoting a foreign product on a Ford Truck website just doesn't seem fair to folks who come here looking for Ford enthusiasts, not foreign product enthusiasts.

~DM~

Quick Reply: D@MN, wish I'd waited! (Pathfinder Armada)