Expedition / Navigator

brake dust shields

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brake dust shields

do any of you guys use brake dust shields? if so, have you had any brake problems(fading,overheating, rotor warpage)? is the reduced amount of dust worth the $$$?

Old 10-31-2003, 11:25 PM
I've got a 2000 and I've only had one brake job but the dealer did it anddid a great job. However, I've never had a problem with brake dust. I can see some right now, but that's after over a month since being washed and you have to get close to see it.

That didn't realy answer your question Nope, never used them so I can't say.

Old 11-01-2003, 10:42 PM
The brake dust problem started with 2003. I had Kleen Wheels on my 99 in the front only and never had a problem with fade or warpage. I had them on for about 60k miles before I traded it in on a 2003. After the shock of the piles of dust on the rims and running boards I opted to put shields on all 4 corners. I just did it today, so I only have 30 miles worth on them. No fade, time will tell on warpage. I have a friend with a 2001 supercrew who has them on all 4 corners since he bought the truck new. He tows a boat every weekend from April - November and has not had any problems either.

Old 11-02-2003, 05:05 PM
brake dust shields

thanx guys, i think i'll try em.

Old 11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
!

My wife's '03 is dusting like a son of a B, too! I was told to change the brake pads to the ceramic kind... about $60 for the front set at Auto Zone. I hate to change out brand new brake pads, and I don't even know if it will work or not... but I've already done more that $60 worth of scrubbing! eVERY 3 to 4 days, the front rims start looking black. It's pretty ridiculous!

Old 11-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Well I picked up a 2004 Expy Tuesday. I have driven it 160 miles and today at work I noticed the dreaded break dust.

Yes they still do it on 2004s.

Any remedies?? Is Ford doing anything about it? What new pads? Who pays for them?

Anybody now what the latest is on this? I didn't see a new TSB on the NHTSA website.

1 1/2 days of driving and it looks awful. The back isn't the best either.

----Bob

Old 11-06-2003, 04:07 PM
I figured on paying for it myself... since it's not considered a "defect" to Ford. Then again, I might just call up my sales guy and tell him I want them to pay for it (the ceramic pads). I've bought a Ranger, 2 Explorers, an F-150, and the new Expedition from the same guy at the same lot. I guess I could threaten them with the loss of some guaranteed repeat business.

Old 11-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: brake dust shields

Originally posted by hotrod22
do any of you guys use brake dust shields? if so, have you had any brake problems(fading,overheating, rotor warpage)? is the reduced amount of dust worth the $$$?
I've heard of a lot of people having troubles with the shields due to rotor warping.

Long story short, the shields inhibit air flow to cool the rotors and thus, warp.

I'd steer clear of them. They're cheap and easy to install but, rotors aren't.

RP

Old 11-06-2003, 05:02 PM
Lots of people speculate about the warped rotors but I have yet to actually meet someone who has had the problem. I am an "all about car" person and hang out with a group of people who are very much the same. Not one story of it actually happening. Hell, Pathfinders have a history or warping rotors from the factory with no shields. Gotta put everything in perspective, some of the very same cars that have alloy rims with wide openings also come in economy (or European) versions with steel wheels with few or no openings. Kleen Wheels have been around for a long time, and if the product was damaging vehicles they wouldn't still be selling them because they would be too busy fending off irate customers.

Maybe I'm biased because I've had them before, have them now, and have friends with them.

From what I understand the pads are being replaced by Ford on their nickel, but of course you need to have it in the service history that you have a concern about brake dust issues. They aren't going to come find you, you need to find them.

Old 11-09-2003, 07:45 AM
Everyone

I just put a pair of klean wheels on my 2004. The service writer said the roters would warp. The actual mechanic who did it said he never seen warped rotors but has seen the shields get bent during tire rotations if you're not careful.

Because I commute 120 miles a day, it would only take a day for the wheels to start looking crappy. It is unacceptable to have to clean your wheels daily.

If they work out on the front I will do the back also.

Let you know--Bob

Old 11-09-2003, 07:09 PM
I have them on the wife's Escape. 38,000 miles without warped rotors.

I have seen more warped rotors from people using an impact wrench to tighten the lug nuts.

I'm still waiting for someone to prove to me that air actually flows through the wheel to cool the brakes. Without some kind of forced air duct, I don't see it happening.

Quick Reply: brake dust shields