Expedition / Navigator

how to tell if it's time for new shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to tell if it's time for new shocks?

I've got a stock 2k EB 2wd w/LLS that I bought new. I just turned 33K yesterday. It's got the stupid replaced general tires on it now, what are the new ones, 275 60 17 vs the better (IMO) originals 265 70 17's (I may have that bass akwards).

Anyway to my subject, how do you tell when it's time to replace the shocks? I do mostly country commute driving, but short haul (5 mi to drop kids off at school, 5 mi to work) and it's mostly country mile driving vs stop go of city driving. But country roads are, in general, rougher than city roads. With the changing weather, I've noticed a lot more tire squeal in turns, even when taking much slower than ever before, and the ride over bumps is getting rougher. As in I seem to notice them more than before. I know some of the bumps are getting bigger with time also (road sinking before a bridge little by little (It gets replaced about every 2-3 years).
But can you still use the old "bounce" test like I did in my '66 'Stang, or is it harder to tell now a days?

And if it is time, what does the group recommend for a smooth, more car like ride? I don't tow, or haul very heavy loads very often (summer I might load up a few hundred pounds of landscaping stuff.) My X is really just a pretty station wagon, kid mover, grocery getter.

I've seen remarks on:
Edlebrocks - good, but may wear out quickly
Rancho 9000 - very good (adjustable?) but maybe for more for a work horse/off roading
Bilstein - seems like most people in here like them, or wish they would have chosen them over their current selection

And if it's time to replace, can this be a DIY project for a semi skilled person? I replaced the shocks on my mustang with someone else's help (guiding, holding parts etc.) or should I take it somewhere.

Thanks for any feed back.

Bryan

Old 11-01-2003, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll take a stab at it.

Edlebrocks are great. Might be slightly firmer than the OEM HD shocks that came on mine. Bilsteins seem to be the choice for heavy trucks and off-roading but most will say they are firmer than OEM. Ranchos are supposed to be great and the adjustability is cool!. From what you're describing as your driving, youmay be able to save quite a bit of $$ and try something like Monroe Reflex I think they are called?? Check the Suspension forum. Lots of guys have gone with less expensive shocks and had great luck.

Install isn't bad. Keep the straps on the new ones until in place. You'll see what I mean. Drop the spare for the rears and one side it a bear to get to the upper bolt. Take your time and make sure the bolts get torqued right. If not, you'll end up with a clunk that will drive you nuts until you figure out what it is.

On the tires, I'm shocked that Ford dealers are replacing the OEM 275-60-17's on 2 WD with the 265's. 265's are what came on the 4x4 I think. Some have posted that they went back and insisted on the OEM size. It's pretty obvious visually, the 2 wd Ecpy's that had the 275's replaced with 265's. On another note, you can leave Ford completly out of it. I replaced mine (had too due to a tire with split tread) and 6 month later the Contenental/General tire issue surfaced. I downloaded a copy of the form from Contenental and sent it in with a copy of my reciept and within 2 weeks had a check. They cover up to about $120 per tire. Retail on the General's is about $60 so I'd say they did things right!!!

Good luck.

Quick Reply: how to tell if it's time for new shocks?