Expedition / Navigator

I need the size of screws used on running boards

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I need the size of screws used on running boards

I'm about to install used factory running boards on my 98 expedition, I have no screws and need to know what I will need to securly install them. What size of screws, and washers will I need? Thanks in advance!

Old 11-15-2003, 11:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow... that's a very specific question. I know 'someone' here knows the answer but, I dare say that I have no clue who it might be.

You have a couple of options I think.

Talk to one of the present owners into going out to their Expy and zipping one of their bolts out and giving measurements and size or secondly, call the stealership and see if they can guide you to the needed information.

I wish I could help but, I'm clueless.

Best of luck!

RP

Old 11-15-2003, 12:50 PM
elejis,

Do you have the main support brackets installed now or are you installing everything from the ground up? If the main brackets are installed then I think the running boards have M6 nuts that screw onto M6 studs on the running boards. If the main brackets are to be installed then that's a whole other question and I will look and see what I can find for you. Actually, RockPick's running boards should be identical to what you are installing and he could check for you but that's up to him. I have an '03 and it's probably different since the body was redesigned for the '03s.

Good luck and I'll post something if I can find anything. If I had to guess what size screws are holding in the main brackets, I'd say no less than M8 and more likely they're M10 and of course the pitch would be standard. If you have a metric tape measure, you can measure the size of the holes underneath where the brackets mount and the diameter of the holes where the threads from the screws go would give you the size. The length would have to be a guess to but I'd say you need to have at least three threads engaged into the holes after the brackets are flush. I hope this helps.

Later,

PS Welcome to F150Online and I hope you enjoy your time here.

~DM~

Old 03-13-2004, 05:23 PM
Hey did anyone ever get an answer on the factory running board bolt size? I bought a set of factory "nerf" style boards for my 2001 Expedition, but have no mounting bolts with them.

Quick Reply: I need the size of screws used on running boards