Expedition / Navigator

2003-2004 Expy Door Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-2004 Expy Door Rattles

I have read many things about the doors making noises in different forums and sites. I too had an odd sound coming from the passenger door of my 2004 Expy. Then the drivers door made it while down the shore this weekend.

I bought the car less than 3 weeks ago.

When I got home I closely examined the doors. There are two gaskets, a soft rubber one and a harder plastic one above it that runs over the top and down by the windshield.

I notice the harder gasket had rub marks on it caused by the sheet metal seam or bead that runs around the mating surface of the door.

It was obvious that the door moves a little when the chassis flexes and rubs the hard plastic gasket.

I drove the truck while sticking my finger tips in the slight gap between the door and the frame with the door fully closed and you can feel the movement. Also the noise stopped.

At that point I put some WD 40 on a rag and wiped the doors mating surface as well as the hard plastic and viola---no noise on either side.

I also notice that there was some kind of clear lubricant (silicon??) there but I had washed the car and wiped out the door jams and that was around the time the noise started.

I have gone a hundred miles since with no noise.

Hope this helps---Bob

Old 11-24-2003, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SSM

There is a special service message,actually 2 for this noise. One involves replacing weatherstrips and door latches, the other installs shims on your outside door cladding.

Quick Reply: 2003-2004 Expy Door Rattles