Expedition / Navigator

Recommendations Please, its time for new shocks on an 01 Expy

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations Please, its time for new shocks on an 01 Expy

I am looking for your recommendations on shocks for an 01 Expy 4x2 EB, NON-LLS.

I have 31k on the factory shocks, 1 leaking and 1 messed up bushing on the left rear shock.
Gonna do it in a few weeks, but would like to get recommendations from the crew here.

Thanks
Greg

Old 12-29-2003, 10:23 AM
I have put Edlebrock IAS shocks on three SUVs - '90 Wrangler, '96 Explorer, '99 Expedition. They are a little pricey - $80 each, but are excellent shocks. Really reduces sway and corner roll, but no sacrifice in comfort. Bilstein, Monroe, Koni, etc all make SUV shocks as well but I don't have any experience with them.

Old 12-29-2003, 11:39 AM
Edelbrock IAS, all around and add a hellwig rear Anti sway bar, you'll be happy, J.C. Whitney, 69.99 each.

Old 12-29-2003, 02:08 PM
Mine were changed at 12k on a '01 SCab to Bilsteins. They do firm up the ride a bit. Handling definitely improved.

I also changed the front swaybar links and center bushings with an Energy Suspension kit($25). That made a noticeable improvement.

If nothing else when you are underneath, take a look at the bolts on the front swaybar center bushings. Mine were a little loose and another truck I worked on had the same thing.

Ditto on the Hellwig rear swaybar. The Hellwig made a big improvement on mine.

Old 01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey, it's good to see another old timer still around.

Edelbrock has shocks valved specificly for the non-LLS so I'd vote Edelbrock. A lot of pople have posted really good results with lower priced shocks like Monroe's too.

Since the Helwig was brought up, I'm assuming yours has a OEM bar? I tow pretty good weight for an Expy and the Helwig improved stability greatly. For normal driving, you'll probably feel better stability but more so, you'll probably notice it in hard turns etc. If you're not hot rodding the Expy, the factory bar is good enough if you have good shocks. If you just want to be able to push the edge, the Helwig is about $130 and not a bad install.

Warning, a lot of guys with SD and Ex.'s are complaining about the hardware Helwig is providing now. Mine was fine, but if they've changed, you may need to run to the hardware store for some good bolts and nuts.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey ride!

Yeah, there are a lot of new ones around here.
You and BigHersch are still around here.

Thanks for the comments, but can you explain your comment about the Hellwig hardware, or point me to a place of reference?

Thanks and later.
Greg

Old 01-08-2004, 01:31 PM
Greg, for the price you can't go wrong with Rancho RSX's. I've had a set for a couple years and still marvel at the ride quality. Watch for a buy three get one free promotion soon. They've done it for the past two years in the spring.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:17 PM
Re: Hey ride!

Originally posted by G.Andrews
Yeah, there are a lot of new ones around here.
You and BigHersch are still around here.

Thanks for the comments, but can you explain your comment about the Hellwig hardware, or point me to a place of reference?

Thanks and later.
Greg
Sorry I'm late replying. I just got back from Canada.

Appearently some people feel the bolts and nuts that Helwig ships with the bars are not the quality they think they should be. Mine came with, nut and bolts that worked just fine. These are comments I read over on TDS (www.thedeiselstop.com)

Old 01-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks Family.
Hey, I know...next time I come up there to FW (Hurst) to visit my family, I'm just gonna bring the parts with me and we can have an istall party at your house... LOL

I read their comments and have found some other comments.
Seems as though most of the comments had to do with HD or f250 or owners who had lifted their rigs.
I am hoping that the Hellwig will be straight up when I do it ~Feb.

Thanks for the help and advice.
Greg

Old 01-10-2004, 02:58 AM
Bilsteins are my favorite, ultra smooth action, well damped, in a word - precision.

In my past vehicles I have used KYB, Koni, OEM (of course), but Bilsteins have easily been the best.

Good luck...

Old 01-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by FamilyRide
Hey, it's good to see another old timer still around.
Hey!! What about me. haha I still read the boards almost everyday, just seldom have the time to post anymore. Anyway, back to the subject at hand.

Originally posted by FamilyRide

Edelbrock has shocks valved specificly for the non-LLS so I'd vote Edelbrock. A lot of pople have posted really good results with lower priced shocks like Monroe's too.
What about the trucks w/ LLS, are the Edelbrock IAS still the way to go? Also, does everyone pretty much agree that the Helwig sway bar is the one of choice? I read the posts about Helwig hardware problems, but is the bar itself the way to go. Thanks for anyone's input. Time to start some real mods on this truck, it's working on 4 years old now! And i'm not gettin rid of it anytime soon.

Old 01-11-2004, 10:29 PM
Sorry Alan...
Didnt mean to leave you out of the crew.
Wonder whatever happened to Eric (SilverX)...
Like Family, I think its good to see some of the oldtimers around here too.

The only thing that I have heard in reference to suspension mods on LLS based rides is to say adios to LLS and go with whatever mods you want, or overdo it and bag it...

Good luck and as always, take pics.
Greg

Quick Reply: Recommendations Please, its time for new shocks on an 01 Expy