Expedition / Navigator

03 Expy=mini van=station wagon

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy=mini van=station wagon

Am I the only one that think the new Expys are no more than a oversized wagon? I will admit that they are great people movers but with the new rear suspension I would not buy one for myself. Nobody has found a way to lift them to make them look good .Even the new 4x4s are so low compared to the old ones. I have a 00 with a 4inch lift and it is great looks tough and I do use it off road. If I were in the market for a four wheel drive SUV I would have to buy the Chevy tahoe, everyone makes a lift for them and they look better to me lifted. Has Ford forgot about us who really like SUVs to go offroading in? Is Ford only answering to the mini van mom group? Come on Ford where is the answer to the H2

Old 01-04-2004, 08:34 PM
One word-Lawsuits!

True 4X4 vehicles are headed the way of the Dodo bird.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Its to bad....... I had a 96 bronco and would buy that over the new expy

Old 01-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Re: 03 Expy=mini van=station wagon

Originally posted by cc322
Am I the only one that think the new Expys are no more than a oversized wagon? I will admit that they are great people movers but with the new rear suspension I would not buy one for myself. Nobody has found a way to lift them to make them look good .Even the new 4x4s are so low compared to the old ones. I have a 00 with a 4inch lift and it is great looks tough and I do use it off road. If I were in the market for a four wheel drive SUV I would have to buy the Chevy tahoe, everyone makes a lift for them and they look better to me lifted. Has Ford forgot about us who really like SUVs to go offroading in? Is Ford only answering to the mini van mom group? Come on Ford where is the answer to the H2
I don't know the exact numbers, but I would suspect that no more than 1% of the Expy's ever get lifted. It seems most car makers lean towards producing vehicles for the masses as opposed to building it for a few.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:06 AM
What Ford really needs to do is make a two-door version of the Excursion and call that the next-generation Bronco. That would really peak some interest and bring back some off-road enthusiasts back over to Ford.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Not many people are gonna fork-over 30K plus for a new truck, then off-road it. Not unless they're very wealthy, with money to throw away.

Today, 4WD- especially on SUV's is more for bad-weather traction than it is for rock-crawling. In my opinion, there are only a few true, factory built, off-road SUV's left, that are TRULY for off road, and they all have "Jeep" on the grill. I know they test a bunch every year, Expy & Tahoe included, but- I'd bet that 99% will never see terrain rougher than the speed bumps at Wal-Mart.

True off-road vehicle should be relatively light (Comparitive to their size), lifted somewhat, with a short wheel-base to prevent going high center (As my co-worker's brother did this weekend in East Texas with his F-250 HD Crew cab.

There's just not many of those left, not from the factory anyway....

Old 01-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I had a '93 Bronco, had 190,000 miles on the original motor when I got rid of it.

Check out Ford's concept .

Bronco

Old 01-06-2004, 09:49 PM
That concept Bronco is nice...

Build it, make it the size of a chapped Expedition, price it at $20,000, drop in the 5.4L V-8, with no other options- and they'll sell like hot cakes....

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/featu...?release=16642

Old 01-07-2004, 07:18 AM
the new expy rear end design is closer to a real hummer (H1) than the solid axle of the H2/tahoe.

Old 01-10-2004, 02:35 AM
Re: 03 Expy=mini van=station wagon

Originally posted by cc322
Has Ford forgot about us who really like SUVs to go offroading in?
No, get an Excursion

I realllllllly like the new rear suspension personally; not only does it make it possible to have a very comfortable 3rd row seat that folds totally flat, but the independant suspension gives it great handling for a stock full size SUV.

...... but yes, our Expy. is my wifes mommy wagon

Quick Reply: 03 Expy=mini van=station wagon