Expedition / Navigator

Detonation/pinging still WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detonation/pinging still WTF!!!

I put in super unleaded and its in the lows 20s here and it still
pings.What the hell.My turbo t-bid runs 18 psi boost and I don't have a hint of pinging but this POS expedition no matter what I do still pings.One day the headgaskets will blow or a burned valve or piston top.Who here has a fix for this.It is a 98 with 4.6 with under 70K.I talked to the dealer and i did what they said to check.The right bank is where the pinging is coming from.I swapped out plugs/wires etc.The right bank plugs were severly worn, my guess from the detonation and the gap was close to .080.I even tried a smaller plug gap then spec and it still pings.No CEL or known codes.I am a ford fanatic but this **** ford is pissing me off.Help someone.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I have the same problem with my 98 Exp. I have owned it since there was 66,000 on it and now it has 102,000. it has been doing it from the day that I got it. It only pings from the right side also. I have not done anything to it (plugs wires etc..) I have noticed that it tends to do it more when it is cold and I am pulling a trailer. I am going to florida with my bike trailer at the end of the month and would like to get it taken care of before there are any major problem. I there is any new info, please let me know as to how to correct this problem. What did the dealer say to do?

Old 02-05-2004, 02:16 PM
You know, I had a pinging problem on my F250SD with V10. The dealer reflashed the computer. I didn't really want it because that usually screws something else up, but I figured what the hell I have to let them do their deal before I can raise a stink. Well, what do you know, it fixed the pinging and did not harm my power or gas mileage. Haven't heard another sound in about 30K miles.

Old 02-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Re-flashing computer

Is there a Technical Service Bulletin outlining the problem? How did you get the dealer to reflash the computer?? They act like they don't know what I am talking about and don't think that reflashing it will work...even though you are not the first person that has said that reflasing works to solve the pinging problem. An more info regarding the fix would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-09-2004, 03:01 PM
I don't have anything on that, sorry. I told them the problem and that was the course of action they recommended. Like I said I was not in favor of it because I figured if it did work, it would in turn wreck either my power or my mileage or both. But it worked out fine, way better than I expected. They said they just updated the software on my computer and then, of course, reset it so it could relearn my driving patterns. This was at Covert Ford in Austin, Texas.

Old 02-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen a mass air flow sensor get dirty and cause this. It doesn't measure all the air entering the engine. Voltage from sensor will still be in specs,thus no codes. Look at wires on sensor for fuzzy material.

Old 02-17-2004, 12:09 PM
EGR-

Clean the EGR ports

After reading many posting regarding this issue, I took the advise and cleaned (read: de-crusted) the EGR ports.

One of my Ports was completely blocked with buildup. Takes some time, but the truck is already more responsive and doesn't ping under load.

Poor circulation of the EGR caused by buildup, will increase combustion tempatures, causing pinging

Quick Reply: Detonation/pinging still WTF!!!