Expedition / Navigator

Brakes Pads/Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Pads/Rotors

I own a 1999 Ford Expedition an have had the Front Brakes changed at 35,000 miles at PEP Boys. They put the Quite Brakes on which are Ceramic type pads as well a new set of Rotors.
This past September I took my Expedition back in at 70,000 miles to have a new set of pads put on an they put a Premium Brand on which are Semi-Metalic as well they placed a new set of Rotors for they said they had hot spots on them an they were unable to be turned. IT is January 2004 an the front brakes are squeking every time I brake. I have taken the truck back in an a new set of Semi-Metalic Pads were put on as well I was told the Rotors were worn down an were replaced free of charge. MY question is should I be using a Ceramic pad verses Semi-Metalic pads an why are the Rotors wearing down so quickly??? Any information on the Type of Brake Pads to be used an any tips on the Rotors would be appreciated...

Old 01-20-2004, 10:49 AM
Received 107 Likes on 100 Posts
The ceramics have a big advantage over the semi-metallics in terms of brake dusting. Sometimes the semi-mets are prone to squealing.

Ask that they use a premium rotor such as Raybestos, AC Delco, or Bendix. Cheap rotors will take a beating.

Front brakes will wear much more quickly if you a lot of city driving as they provide the bulk of your truck's stopping power.

It is also important that the rear brakes be checked to ensure that they are not excessively worn and, if applicable, properly adjusted.

Steve

Old 01-20-2004, 04:45 PM
I've had the Raybestos QS on all 4 wheels for about 30K now. Minimal dust and good wear. Unfortunately, the NASCAR required braking down here in South Florida have warped the rotors again (X3). Anybody put on cross drilled or slotted? I don't tow so the danger of heat and fracturing them doesn't apply.

If someone has installed have installed the CD/Slotted type what brand and price?

Keith

Old 01-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Brakes Ceramic verses Semi Metalic ones

Hey Guys.. I am going back to PEP Boys an having them take off the Semi Metalic Pads an put on Ceramic ones for they I am sure will last longer as well be free of dust an squeking.. Pep Boys only carries one type of Rotors which are Pro-Plus..

Old 01-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Has anyone been able to find the Raybestos QS for an '03 model Expy? I have looked but have not been able to locate them.

Sammy

Old 01-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Old 01-22-2004, 01:11 PM
I had the dealer replace the brakes, turn rotors etc. and at 64k miles they still stop like new, are quiet and less dust than when new. I go really lucky I think......

Old 01-23-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ExpyBob
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...&pagenumber=10

Look here.

Bob
Interesting thread, but no information on if the QS are available for the '03 and newer models.

Quick Reply: Brakes Pads/Rotors