Expedition / Navigator

AdvanceTrac?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 10:18 AM
JDF
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AdvanceTrac?

They offer it on both 4x4 and 4x2 but not if you get LS rear end so what the heck is it and what does it do? I had a lincoln Mark VIII with traction control. That was more or less "electronic" LS. Have they just changed what they call it? Does it have something to do with computerized braking at independent wheels like on my corvette?

Last edited by JDF; 02-20-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know I struggled with that option when I was looking. I thought I needed it. I think it helps apply braking to wheels in the event that you get the vehicle out of control or in a skid. I think its supposed to help straighten out the vehicle and keep it from rolling. BUT you loose Limited Slip. Well, LS is crucial when in the sand or serious off-roading.

I could be wrong but loosing the LS means only 1 rear wheel and one front wheel are getting power and providing traction. You dont have the clutches to drive the other side.

Old 02-20-2004, 11:38 AM
JDF
Searching the inventory of 5 possible dealers, it doesn't seem like anybody orders it. Still really curious what it really is/does.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:07 AM
Quite a few of the EB and XLT models had it at the dealership when I purchased.

From a web site:

"For those who dare to go off-road-or need to maximize four-wheel-drive capabilities in extreme road conditions-the 4x4 Expedition can be ordered with AdvanceTrac, which controls power delivery side-to-side, giving the new Ford the electronic equivalent of a locking differential front and rear."

This does not make sense to me. If you loose LS, then you have an open differential. That means only 1 drive wheel per axle. So a "locking" differential? I don't see how, does anyone else?

Weird!

Last edited by white03EB; 02-23-2004 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:53 AM
JDF
I believe somebody will come along and verify that it is done by the brake system. By applying the brake to only the wheel slipping, power is diverted to the wheel with traction. This is how my Lincoln had electronic traction controlin the rear. With a 4x4 I'm guessing it's doing the same thing to both axles.
Went to a dealer and actually looked at few window stickers, they do have something but it's not called advance track. forgot what they call it but maybe they just changed the name or is it completely something else?

Old 02-24-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by JDF
I believe somebody will come along and verify that it is done by the brake system. By applying the brake to only the wheel slipping, power is diverted to the wheel with traction. This is how my Lincoln had electronic traction controlin the rear. With a 4x4 I'm guessing it's doing the same thing to both axles.
Went to a dealer and actually looked at few window stickers, they do have something but it's not called advance track. forgot what they call it but maybe they just changed the name or is it completely something else?
There is also "ControlTrac" I think its called. That is just a fancy name for being able to electronically shift the vehicle into 2WD, AWD, 4HI, 4LO. Basically the little turn **** that allows you to control the transfer case shifting. Most SUV's today have some fancy name for this. No one has had to get out of there vehicle to put it in 4WD for YEARS....

Funny thing about people and sales. You put a fancy name on something to make it sound more advanced or "techy" and people think wow its got AdvanceTrac.... Not ever really knowing what it is... Exxon has X12 in the gas, gotta have me some of that!

Quick Reply: AdvanceTrac?