Expedition / Navigator

03 Expy: New rear and now gear whine - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy: New rear and now gear whine - what to do?

Just had the entire rear-end replaced on my 03 EB Expedition. The gears and the right-side shaft were totally damaged (who knows why).

They replaced the entire gear assembly with a whole new differentail housing and the right shaft and joints.

Everything feels fine. BUT, now I have gear whine at 65MPH and it stops at 70 MPH.
Do I:

A. Just run it and forget about it? (40K SUV w. whine!!!)

B. Take it back and tell them about it, have it fixed?

The whine is loud enough to make me sick. Somewhat embarrassing too...

I could live with it if I thought it might go away. I have less than 1K on the new rear.

For some reason I feel they might fix this and screw something else up while fixing it.

I also CRINGE at the thought of taking apart my vehicle again. I know this can cause problems in the future.

DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....UG!

Old 03-02-2004, 11:47 AM
ive had 4 rear ends including the factory one, and i put #2 and #3 in it myself. #4 was put in by my best friend, since i dont work at the dealership anymore. Its really not that "intrusive" to the truck to swap the rear ends. Its a few control arm bolts, taking down the spare tire, and undoing the driveshaft and popping out the cv axles. Then there is just 3 big bolts and the whole thing falls out. I would take it back and get another rear end ordered for it. I have only put about 1500 miles on each of mine before complaining and getting another one. Let's make ford PAY for the mistake until they can ship the dealership one that is quiet. I saw the warranty tickets on mine, and each rear end costs about $1200, and the labor is about $300, so ford has dished out $4500 on my 3 replacements all in less than the first 10000 miles. Im with you on not wanting a 40K $ vehicle that drives one crazy with the whine.

Old 03-04-2004, 10:01 AM
I had the same problem, gear whine between 60 and 70, had it changed out, the new one is better but still has the whine in it. I need to listen very hard to hear it (between 60 and 70), but it's there. If it stays the same I'll live with it, if it gets worse... #3.

White03eb, have it changed out, it's a easy fix!!

Old 03-04-2004, 01:41 PM
I think I will get a few more miles on it and see. Maybe it will get better. I really doubt it.

Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: 03 Expy: New rear and now gear whine - what to do?