Expedition / Navigator

03 Expy Battery Drain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Expy Battery Drain?

A week ago the battery died in the Expy. The battery was drained to 4V. I charged it up and took it in to the service department. They said the battery checked good, but replaced it with a new one anyway.

Again this morning after sitting all weekend, the battery was dead again. Instead of taking in again, I diagnosed it myself.

Here is what I found:

-Batt voltage was 3V
-After charging and starting, I took some current measurements:
1. With everything off and doors locked, measured .78 amps. I was like WTF? That would kill a battery in no time.
2. I unplugged the portable DVD from the power point. Current dropped to .18 amps.

So it looks like that even with the DVD player "off", it wasn't actually "off". It was pulling .6 amps!

But now I am wondering why there is still a .18 A drain on the battery with everything off. My best guess is that it is the security system and a trickle of current for the radio, PCM, and whatever else has a memory.

The reason we just started having problems with the battery dying is probably because the past 2 weekends in a row the Expy has sat in the garage all weekend, for the first times since we bought it. The DVD has been in since we bought it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a little info with yoose guys.

Sammy

Old 03-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Re: 03 Expy Battery Drain?

Just sitting in the garage shouldnt drain it out. Also if the DVD is factory there may be something there if its draining so much.

I'd leave my Stang in the garage for days or sometimes a week at a time in the garage, and it would crank over just fine... Until recently where it only holds a chargef or a day or two but I know i have to replace the battery.
If it just recently started happening, what else have you done? Have a dealership keep it inside the service bay over the weekend (if they give you a loaner) and have them check it out if its under warranty. Just my ideas... hopefully something works, keep me posted anyways.
Gagan

Originally posted by 01Lightning
A week ago the battery died in the Expy. The battery was drained to 4V. I charged it up and took it in to the service department. They said the battery checked good, but replaced it with a new one anyway.

Again this morning after sitting all weekend, the battery was dead again. Instead of taking in again, I diagnosed it myself.

Here is what I found:

-Batt voltage was 3V
-After charging and starting, I took some current measurements:
1. With everything off and doors locked, measured .78 amps. I was like WTF? That would kill a battery in no time.
2. I unplugged the portable DVD from the power point. Current dropped to .18 amps.

So it looks like that even with the DVD player "off", it wasn't actually "off". It was pulling .6 amps!

But now I am wondering why there is still a .18 A drain on the battery with everything off. My best guess is that it is the security system and a trickle of current for the radio, PCM, and whatever else has a memory.

The reason we just started having problems with the battery dying is probably because the past 2 weekends in a row the Expy has sat in the garage all weekend, for the first times since we bought it. The DVD has been in since we bought it.

Anyway, just thought I'd share a little info with yoose guys.

Sammy

Old 03-05-2004, 10:16 PM
200 milliamps is acceptable (.2A) according to Ford. I have never seen a newer for that high. Usuall readings are 100 milliamps or less. Did you wait for five minutes before testing (after closing doors ect..)?

Hak

Quick Reply: 03 Expy Battery Drain?