Expedition / Navigator

After Tune Up Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question After Tune Up Question

Just finished my first tune up on the wife's 97 Expy.

Wow why did I feel I couldn't do this for so long. I guess it was the whole new "technology" thing ( and me being one of those "technology types" makes it worse).

Well anywho... got it all done. New double plat plugs and wires. Cleaned the throttle body. Even after reading the Ford sticker warning against it ( Yeah right. Please don't do this bring it to us so we can do it and charge you some outrageous price!)

My question. What is the solenoid looking item on the throttle body ( upper right corner of the throttle body as you look at it from the front )? It appears that the other time the truck was tuned up the guy who did it broke the electrical connection tab and used silicone to "glue" the connection together. Truck is running great after the tune up, but I want to know what this is and if I should replace as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to the pic I've posted in my Gallery
https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=1496

Old 03-07-2004, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the idle air control valve (IAC).
I can mail you a connector if you like.

Old 03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Home Skillet,

Thanks for the offer! I've heard of the IAC being "cleaned" by several folks. As can be seen by the pictures my throttle body was pretty dirty and after the "mini-clean up" my Check Engine light did not come on until after about ten miles. Maybe this item should be removed and throughly cleaned and/or replaced. Or a trip to Auto Zone for a good codes scan.

Quick Reply: After Tune Up Question