Expedition / Navigator

Wife needs a bigger SUV that can TOW some weight..

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 08:55 PM
Law
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wife needs a bigger SUV that can TOW some weight..

Looking at the Expeditions, Tahoes, etc....

Anyone have any comparative info on these size and class of SUV's?

Which one can tow more?
Which one has the most power?
Which one has the best resale?
etc, etc, etc....

Thanks...

Old 07-02-2004, 12:11 AM
We have a 00 expy 4x4 and tow around 5000 lb trailer/boat and it does ok, I will be looking into a f-250 soon, if you are looking to tow alot I would go with the excursion or 2500 suburban imo.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:43 PM
With appropriate mod's my 2000 Expy towed our 7500# boat fine. I have a friend who was working on it launch and retrieve it from his ramp. He said he thoguht he was in big trouble!! mine did fine but certainly was at the peak of where I'd wnat to be towing.

We now have an Excursion and just the weight difference between the Expy and Ex makes a big difference. Add to that the diesel power and I love my Ex. more and more every time we tow.

If you're looking at new one's, I can't help, but I can say ever review I've seen in boating rag's talks very high about the Expedition.

Check out the interiors too. The Tahoe seems really small.

Last edited by FamilyRide; 07-11-2004 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:12 AM
After comparing them both I bought a 2004 Expedition with the 5.4L engine and Heavy duty tow package. To answer your questions the EXPY tows more by far and tows more than the suburban too unless you get the 3/4 ton suburban with the 4.10 gears. The Tahoe has more horsepower at higher rpm better for passing at Hwy speeds but the Expy has more torque and at a much lower rpm too which is better for towing. The Expy has more room behind the 3rd row seat which folds flat at the touch of a button (wife loves this feature) Tahoe you have to manually remove the seat. Also another thing the Expy has over the Tahoe is the rear proximity sensor (keeps the wife from backing over toys or small cars) Also if you wait for the 05 model you will have the Tahoe beat on horsepower too.

Old 07-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Law
Hmmm.. Looks like the Expedition spanks the Tahoe....

How about on older one's?
Say like 2001 - 2002's???

We dont really wanna be paying for a brand new one....

The years 2001 - 2002 are priced right about in our price range...

I myself am getting a 3/4 ton crewcab pickup and that will do the majority of the towing. I just want the wife to get into something that can atleast back my truck up at times for towing and/or cargo hauling...
The Xterra doesnt cut it and i've finally been able to atleast get my wife to "consider" a EXPD or a Tahoe...lol

Old 07-12-2004, 01:34 PM
'01's and '02's have the same engines and available rear end gears as the new Expys, so yes they are just as able. The '05 will get the new 3V 300 HP 5.4L.

Old 07-13-2004, 12:58 AM
Wink 01 & 02 vs 04

The Expy was redesigned in 03, so the 01 and 02's are quite a bit different than the newer ones. The 03's and up have the multi link independent rear suspension as opposed to the solid axle and ride and handle much better especially the handling part . The 03's have rack and pinion steering and I think the older ones have the recirculating ball type. Also the third row seats do not fold down flat into the floor on the older design. You have to remove it like the tahoe. You will have to drive both the older and newer version for yourself. IMO the newer design has a lot of advantages. They might have the same engines but there are several other differences. Stay away frow the early build 03's though because I understand they are quite troublesome. They seem to have most of the bugs worked out on the 04's though.

Quick Reply: Wife needs a bigger SUV that can TOW some weight..