Expedition / Navigator

FX4 Expedition?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just lifted my Fx4

I got tired of dragging the chassis through the sand. Even got stuck twice pulling people out. To take care of the clearance problem, I put on the Daystar 2" lift. Drives great. Maybe feels a little stiffer. Only driven 15 miles since lifted. Cost: kit $233 from 4x4 Connection. Installation $150 plus tax. Under $400!

Unable to post photo!

Old 11-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
True....

No FX4 Expedition..

They do have the NBX (Which I've never seen on teh road) and they reintroduced the XLT Sport.

This year (2005) there is but one engine choice for the Expedition- the 5.4L 301 HP V-8.

Old 11-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Fx4's exist!

Care to explain to me how I happen to own a 2003 Fx4, bought from the dealer? I think 2003-2004 were the only years offered.

Old 11-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
I'd have to say you've been the target of a "sticker' campaign.

In the 2003 Expedition Brochure that I got (Along with my 2003 Expedition) the only models available were:

Expedition XLT 4.6L 4 x 2
Expedition XLT 5.4L 4 x 2
Expedition Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4 x 4
Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L 4 x 4

They didn't even offer the XLT Sport in 2003.

For 2004 they introduced the: Expedition XLT Sport (Just like the Eddie B, except it has Dark Shadow Grey trim instead of Arizona Beige) along with tubular step rails. And the Expedition NBX.

For 2005, they have dropped the 4.6L and the sole engine is the 5.4L 3V 301 HP engine from the F-150, along with some nice colors. They have also added a down-scale Expedition XLS and an even-more upscale Limited package... No FX-4; at least not from Ford...

What they may have done, is add the skid plate, etc to the vehicle at the dealership, and badged it as an FX-4; but it would seem (From researching Ford's site) that none rolled off the Ford assembly line as FX-4's.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/expedition/

Last edited by cia-agent; 11-18-2004 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
I did find stuff on the web about adding an "FX4 package" to the XLT for $4,100; but again- I belive this to be a dealer package, not something that Ford offered- because it isn't on Ford's website, or brochure....

It's like the multitude of "Eddie Bauer" Expeditions I see around town that are all one color; they have no gold accents (Which I don't like the gold anyway) and they have the chrome tubular step rails.... Some local dealers are doing those. I saw a guy at the car wash from Irving, Texas who said he bought his right off the lot with the chrome rails and color-keyed trim & bumpers.... Otherwise, his was identical to mine.

Old 11-19-2004, 04:50 PM
CIA, You are wrong

The brochure I have shows an Fx4 package. It includes the tubular steps, the skid plates, the badging, and off-road suspension, including Bilstein shocks.

Also, you can price the vehicle on Edmunds. Price a 2003 4wd Expedition XLT. It gives the Fx4 suspension package as an option.

Why do you insist that I got suckered? I'm no fool.

Old 11-19-2004, 05:52 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
Re: CIA, You are wrong

Originally posted by expfx4
The brochure I have shows an Fx4 package. It includes the tubular steps, the skid plates, the badging, and off-road suspension, including Bilstein shocks.

Also, you can price the vehicle on Edmunds. Price a 2003 4wd Expedition XLT. It gives the Fx4 suspension package as an option.

Why do you insist that I got suckered? I'm no fool.
Ok- whatever you say sir...

Yes, FX-4 started off on the F-150 as an add-on package, so it's believable that it's available on the Expy... As a package...

I thought you meant as a "trim-level", which is what the FX4 is on the F-150 now. The FX-4 is not a trim level on the Expedition.

XLS, XLT, XLT Sport, NBX, Eddie Bauer, Limited.

You don't have to believe me, I put the website up there for you.

Last edited by cia-agent; 11-19-2004 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:33 PM
I hate to interrupt you. But, I have one too. FX4 2003 EXPY! Doesn't look like a dealer add on to me.

Old 11-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CIAagent, you are wrong. Ford offered an FX4 option on Expy's in 2003 only. Apparantly it was replaced by the NBX package in 2004. I have read magazine test of the 2003 FX4. In fact, several members at FTW have been ordering the 2003 Expy FX4 badges to place on their F-150's just because they look cool.
Also, Expfx4, could you please post some pics of your Expy. I want to buy a Expy and am trying to decide whether to lower it or lift it. Pics of lifted 03-05 Expys are very hard to find.

Old 11-20-2004, 11:27 AM
Album link

OK, here's the photos. Click on the link:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=4977

Old 11-20-2004, 11:51 AM
And here's what it would look like with bigger tires:

http://performancelifts.com/cgi-bin/...AYKF09110.html

Old 11-20-2004, 04:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That looks pretty good! Thanks for the pics!

Old 11-22-2004, 08:30 AM
CC322 Where are you?

Now you won't have to stay up at night - Expy's can be lifted. It will also save you the hassle of typing the same thing over and over again in every board.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
They're calling those Expedition XLT Sport's now.

Where are the FX4 badges/stickers?

Besides, I think we're comparing apples to oranges. I said there was no Expedition FX-4 trim level offered and that is true. What was offered was an FX-4 off road package.

The "FX-4" as it is known today is a "trim Level" in the F-150 line. Before the 2004 F-150 came out, the F-150 FX4 was an off-road "package" as well. Today, it's a trim-level- complete with floor shifter (If you order Captain's chairs).

In 2003, the Expedition was only offered as XLT, XLT 4 x 4, Eddie Bauer, Eddie Bauer 4 x 4- with regard to trim levels. The XLT could be had with the "FX-4" off-raod "package"; which as I said would have offered the skid plates, etc... It wasn't, and still isn't a "trim-level".

Now the Expedition comes in: XLS, XLT, XLT Sport, NBX, Eddie Bauer and Limited trim levels.

Kelley Blue Book: http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.l...20Utility%204D

Last edited by cia-agent; 11-29-2004 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Bighersh Alter-Ego
New for 2004

Five distinct trims are offered for 2004 - XLS, XLT, XLT Sport, NBX and Eddie Bauer XLT Sport trim level is new. The NBX trim level replaces the XLT FX4 package and adds heavy-duty rubber floor mats and a cargo area soft liner PowerFold™ third-row seat now available in cloth on all XLT models Reverse Sensing System, DVD rear seat entertainment system and power moonroof now available across all XLT and XLT Sport models Tire pressure monitoring system now standard on XLT, XLT Sport and Eddie Bauer trims New exterior colors: Pueblo Gold, Red Fire.

Overview
The 2004 Ford Expedition continues to raise the bar in the full-size SUV segment, building on the completely redesigned 2003 model.

In order to be consistent across Ford’s SUV lineup, Expedition trim level names have been changed for 2004. Five distinct series now will be offered.

XLS replaces XLT as the value-conscious model.
XLT includes ordering options for the previous XLT Popular and XLT Premium series.
XLT Sport exterior appearance package is added to the lineup.
NBX replaces FX4 Off-Road and builds on the same content.
Eddie Bauer continues to be offered as the top-of-the-line trim level.
The 2004 Expedition delivers a variety of class-exclusive features, including: fold-flat-to-the-floor second- and third-row seating, the PowerFold™ third-row seat, second-row CenterSlide™ section, AdvanceTrac™, Safety Canopy™, Reverse Sensing System and standard power-adjustable pedals. Expedition also is the first SUV in its class to offer independent rear suspension for improved ride and handling.

Expedition is built in Wayne, Mich.

Design and Equipment
Expedition exterior design cues are big, bold and confident. It exudes a confidence-inspiring stance, with large headlamps, tail lamps, mirrors and door handles.

The Expedition interior provides versatility with fold-flat-into-the-floor third row 60/40 seat, a 40/20/40 second row seat with manual CenterSlide™ section and best-in-class cargo volume.

The spacious interior offers seamless, adjustable flexibility to meet the ever-changing demands of its owners’ active lifestyles.

Powertrain
Expedition is powered by two engine choices: the 4.6-liter Triton™ V-8 and the 5.4-liter Triton™ V-8 engine.

The 4.6-liter engine provides 232 horsepower and 291 foot-pounds of torque. The 5.4-liter engine uses a cast iron engine block that has been computer-designed to reduce vibration for quieter operation. It delivers 260 horsepower and 350 foot-pounds of torque.

Towing capability is impressive. The 4.6-liter engine uses an 8.8-inch rear axle gear, and the 5.4-liter delivers power through a 9.75-inch axle. This is especially important in towing and off-road applications. When properly equipped, the 5.4-liter, two-wheel drive Expedition is rated to tow up to 8,950 pounds. The 4.6-liter V-8 with four- wheel drive can tow up to 5,000 pounds.

AdvanceTrac™ electronic stability enhancement and Control Trac™ 4x4 systems are available.

Safety and Security
Expedition offers a variety of safety and security features including: Safety Canopy™ system consisting of side air curtains with a rollover sensor that covers approximately two-thirds of first- and second-row glass; a driver’s door-mounted keyless entry keypad and standard power-adjustable brake/accelerator pedals.

Four-wheel-disc ABS with the Brake Assist system is standard.

A tire-pressure monitoring system is now standard on XLT, XLT Sport and Eddie Bauer trims.

Major Equipment and Options
XLS: four-speed automatic transmission, anti-lock four-wheel disc brakes, tilt steering wheel, speed control, cloth upholstery, front 60/40 split-bench seat with driver’s side power, driver-side manual lumbar support, second-row bench seat split 40/20/40, third-row 60/40 split-bench seat, privacy glass, heated fold-away power mirrors with security approach lamps, power door locks, remote keyless entry, SecuriLock™, driver and passenger air bags, power-adjustable pedals, air conditioning, rear liftgate with flip-up glass access, automatic headlamps, luggage rack, styled steel wheels, door trim map pockets with cupholders, illuminated entry with automatic dimming and AM/FM premium stereo with CD/cassette player.

XLT adds to XLS: fog lamps, running boards, aluminum wheels, auxiliary rear air conditioning and heat controls, overhead console with storage, auto-dimming rear view mirror, illuminated vanity mirrors, color-keyed door handles and tire-pressure monitoring system.

XLT Sport adds to XLT: Dark Shadow Grey exterior cladding, high-gloss Dark Shadow Grey tubular step bars, two-tone bumpers, moldings and lower grille in Dark Shadow Grey and silver upper grille.

Eddie Bauer adds to XLT Sport: Arizona Beige two-tone exterior appearance with Arizona Beige running boards, dual electronic temperature control, steering-wheel-mounted audio and climate controls, two-tone leather-trimmed front captain’s chairs with driver’s side power, driver- and passenger-side manual lumbar support, vinyl 60/40 third-row bench seat, rear audio controls, garage opener, Reverse Sensing System, message center, memory seating, AM/FM audiophile stereo with in-dash six-disc CD player and power heated signal exterior mirrors.

NBX features: 5.4L V-8, tubular step bars, Durachrome steel wheels, skid plates, premium Sachs shocks, cargo area soft liner with storage bag and heavy duty rubber floor mats.

Expedition optional equipment includes PowerFold™ third-row seat, AdvanceTrac™, four-corner load-leveling air suspension, limited-slip axle, power moonroof, Reverse Sensing System, in-dash navigation, heavy-duty trailer tow package, DVD rear seat entertainment system and AM/FM premium in-dash six-CD audio system.

Quick Reply: FX4 Expedition?