Expedition / Navigator

Nissan Armada vs. Ford Expedition: The winner is

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nissan Armada vs. Ford Expedition: The winner is

After weeks of research, test driving, and number crunching I had to go with the Nissan Armada.

Before I go into why, I would like to share something I learned while doing my research.

The Nissan 5.6L Endurance Motor, and drive train is not all new, or unproven. In fact it has been in use for 4+ years mostly in commercal trucks.

So why did I choose the Nissan? Lots of reasons:

Better powertrain: I thought it felt smoother, and more powerfull. Especially under a load, like going up a steep hill. The Armada really out did the Expedition here.

Better road feel: The Armada has much crisper handling, and better driver feedback that the Exp. This is offcoarse a matter of opinion, but all the magizines seam to agree with me on this one.

Interior: I heard some of you say the interior sucks, well I almost agree to some degree. I got the leather package which helps a lot, but some things still feel too plastic, like the door panels. The Dash is real nice, as is the instrament cluster, and center console. The door panels are me big complant, but they are not that bad. I perfered the stereo & electronics package in the Armada, and disliked the layout of the 04 Exp. dash, vs the Armada's. The Exp gets props on having much better door panels though.

Towing: Armada can tow more, but both can tow more than I need.

Brakes: Again, the Armada goes shining though with better braking. the ABS ECU does an amazing job of keeping the truck strait, and brakeing hard. This is Nissan's 27th revision of the ABS controller, and it gets better all the time. I entered into emergency brakeing while the truck was already unsettled, and the ABS and VDC ECU's kept the *** end from going out, I did the same in the EXP and the *** came around. (The Salesmen was a really unhappy dude at that point).

Comfert: Really both Trucks were amazingly comfertable in all seats in the cabin, the Armada has better 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the exp (2nd row has 41 inches!) but I didn't really think it was that much of an advantage.

Relaibility: This is an unfair catagory, since the Armada has not history, and the Exp. does not have the best of service records, or history.

Price: Here is what is really intereasting, I got a 4x4 Armada SE with leather, sunroof, bose stereo, and the big tow package for $35,252! An Exp. XLT 4x4 with the 5.4L SOHC Engine equiped the same stickered at $44k, the dealer would let it go for $42k. That's right the Armada was $7000 cheaper!

And finally the most surprizing reason of all: IT IS MORE AMERICAN MADE THAN THE FORD! Designed, and built right here by Americans, with American parts to the same quality standards as the Jap. plants. A big up yours to all the critics in the 80's that said american auto workers couldn't do it.

So in the End, The Armada trumped the Exp in every compairison I did, the interiors were a trade off, (better electronics, or nicer doors.)

So I welcome my Nissan home, 7k cheaper than the ford, 10k cheaper than the Toyota, and 6-12k cheaper than the GM's, and a better truck than all of them. Ford just couldn't get me to buy two Fords in a row I guess. Thanks for all your input, and thoughts, they were all really helpfull.

Old 08-31-2004, 05:47 PM
I looked at both also and I ended up getting the Expy. I agree with a lot of what you said except for the price. When I was looking back in Feb and March the Expy was about $3K to $4K cheaper. I got a 2004 2wd EB for 30K and a 2wd Armada LE was running about $34K best negotiated price ( they weren't taking much off back then and there was no rebates on the Nissan) I realize the LE has a few more features on it than the EB Expy, but I could not live with the cloth in the Nissan, which means you had to get the LE because the dealer inventory's left a lot to be desired at that time. Anyway I am happy with my Expy 6 months and no troubles yet. Good luck on your Armada

P.S. Thats a good price on your Armada

Last edited by khager; 08-31-2004 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:50 PM
I had to have a 4x4, leather, and the tow package. I prices out the Exp. XLT with the 5.4 SOHC V8 because it was what I was looking for and was comparable to the Armada.

You can get a 2WD Armada SE with leather for 28-29k. (If you can find one)

Congrats on your Exp!

Old 09-01-2004, 01:24 PM
armada

I'm thinking about making the switch as well. But I was planning on waiting for the 05 Armada.

Does anyone have any dates on its availability?

Thanks in advance.
Richard

Old 09-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Hope you have good luck with the armada and there is certanly nothing wrong with it. That big engine will have more power than the 5.4 of the expy and the 5.6 does haul you know what.

Later

F350 555

Old 09-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Good Luck with your new Armada. When I was looking for a new tow vehicle, I looked at the Nissan but decided to stay with my Expedition and had the Gears changed out. I like the fact i have a 6000lb tow vehicle holding a 6000lb camper in line - i don't think I could do that with a Nissan.

My two cents worth.

Jeff

2000 Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4L
K&N FIPK
Gibson cat back
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar
Custom Program Superchip 5-program
NEW Yukon 4.10 rear and Front Diff.
LT265/75/R16 Michelin 10 ply
B&M Trans Temp Gauge
Bilstein Shocks
Amsoil

Old 09-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey jjszabo,

How much did you end up spending on your gear swap? What did you change to/from?

Old 09-08-2004, 02:51 PM
Sorry Gadfly, I don not want to hijack your thread.

ferroequine:

I paid about 780 dollars for the gears and install kits, and around 970 dollars for the labor to install them. I have a 4X4 so I had to do the front and rear differential - I went from 3.31 to 4.10's. The gears have given the truck a different personality.

see https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=166866 for my post on the gear change.

Jeff

Old 11-12-2004, 11:41 PM
I looked at the Armada as well, but I think it looks too garish. I really like the understated looks of the EXP compared to the Nissan. I test drove them both, as well, Gadfly, and even though I didn't get quite as carried away as you did, I did make the salesman queasy! I also like the alloy suspension gear that comes on the EXP.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:29 PM
We are getting close to getting a '05 and one of the main reasons I am leaning towards the Armada is 3 rows for the curtain air bag. I hope I never need it but the Expy only covers the 1st and 2nd row. I have 4 kids so one will always be back there.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I got to sit in both 3rd rows at our locar auto show. The Expy is the clear winner in that catagory. I am 5 10 and my head was rubbing the roof. Not so in the Expy. That is a bi deal for me because my kids are all tall.

Old 03-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nothing is wrong with either vehicle. I even like the exterior styling of the Armada, with one exception. What is the deal with the top of the rear door sloping downward? To me, it makes the Armada look like the roof is bent downward, like a tree fell on it. If it wasn't for that, I would have looked at the Nissan. If Nissan straightened the top of the rear door and you lifted it, the Armada would look awesome.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 AM
A question I had was why did they put the rear door handles so high up. It makes getting in the rear seats a challenge for small children.

Old 09-04-2005, 10:32 PM
L.V
I think we all agree on the pros-cons.
With the so-called family plan the sticker on my wife's 05 was 38k+, purchased for 29k even.
Major factor was the real fact that the Ford long term cost of repairs are going to be much cheaper.
Nissan parts cost a lot more.
Vince

Quick Reply: Nissan Armada vs. Ford Expedition: The winner is