Expedition / Navigator

2004 Expy Muffler Gurgle Noise.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Expy Muffler Gurgle Noise.

Lately I get this gurgling noise coming from where the muffler is at certain times. Usually at low speed when accelerating gently.

My car was built Sept 2003.

I noticed on another board someone had it on a 2003 and they replaced the muffler.

Is it something that also got into the 2004s?

I mentioned it to the service manager yesterday and he was not familiar with it.

Thanks in advance---Bob

Old 09-03-2004, 07:47 PM
be happy, the stock exhaust is tooooo quite, just yesturday I went out and had a magnaflow put on it, not it sounds just awesome!!!!

other than that, I wouldnt worry about it, be happy that you have any noise come from the stock exhaust

Old 09-03-2004, 08:38 PM
Trust me.....

Not this noise.

sounds like something is falling apart. Not good for a new vehicle.

You can feel it in the floor pan---Bob

Old 09-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Well it turns out that since it's intermittent and the tech only heard it once, he called the Ford Tech Hotline.

They said there were a few complants about the 2004s having muffler noises and authorized them to replace it. Nothing on Oasis ---yet.

It's on order.

Bob

Old 09-15-2004, 10:06 AM
When you are accelerating does it make the noise around 1200 rpm's? If it does then that is what ours does and I think it is the torque converter slipping. Try putting it in first gear and take it up to 2000 rpm and then throttle off. Does it feel jerky as it the rpms/speed drops? If it does then it is probably not the muffler. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:52 AM
No, the tranny is fine.

The noise occurs inside the muffler. It will also do it in park and nuetral while sitting still.

It happens around 1400-1800 RPM but can also happen other times once in a while.

When it does it bad you can feel it in your feet in the second row passenger seat. (which is right above it)

At the RPMs I stated it hits a resonance that really gets it going but only when hot at a certain temp and usually under light load. The noise does travel through the system so it can sound as if it is well forward of that. That's why it was hard to demonstrate to the dealer. In the end he heard it when I got out and I had the door open for him to bring it in the bay. He just touched the gas and clang-gurgle there it was.

And each day it is getting worse.

Bob

Old 08-21-2005, 05:21 PM
2004 Navigator gurgling muffler noise

I am having the same gurgling sound coming from my exhaust system. The dealership has done two modifications and it is still there. They have offered to replace the system with an after market system that would be louder than the original. I'm not sure if that is the way to go. They have already replaced one of the cylinder heads and I don,t know if the two are related or not. I think your motor and mine are somewhat different, but, the exhaust system may be the same - I don,t know. If I find the cure I'll let you know! Good luck!

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 AM
Ford knows about it. I've had to go through the lemon law on this thing. It's been in five times for it. Finally I get a higher up from out local dealer (nice guy) to go for a ride. It doesn't make the noise. He did re-center it again and it's freakin worse.

To make the story short, I called lincoln warrenty. The kid listened called and called me back to say that the engineers are aware of this, but since they don't have a fix for it, they call it normal. I was told about this by a different service manager also. I even offered to split the cost of a Borla. Nope no way. I am going to take it back in again.

For us it's been going on for over 25k miles. I've got a lot more to say about this but it's late. Let you folks know more of the story tomorrow.

Old 08-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by ExpyBob
No, the tranny is fine.

The noise occurs inside the muffler. It will also do it in park and nuetral while sitting still.

It happens around 1400-1800 RPM but can also happen other times once in a while.

When it does it bad you can feel it in your feet in the second row passenger seat. (which is right above it)

At the RPMs I stated it hits a resonance that really gets it going but only when hot at a certain temp and usually under light load. The noise does travel through the system so it can sound as if it is well forward of that. That's why it was hard to demonstrate to the dealer. In the end he heard it when I got out and I had the door open for him to bring it in the bay. He just touched the gas and clang-gurgle there it was.

And each day it is getting worse.

Bob
Did you ever get it fixed?

Old 08-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes.

I went to Ford and they called the Ford Tech hotline. They said they were aware of some of them doing that and authorized replacement which was done.

It's totally silent since and now.

Hope this helps---bob

Old 08-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks Bob I hope it helps too. Would you mind telling me how long ago you had it done? Thanks.

Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 AM
I had it done a year ago in Sept 2004.

Old 08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
Well thanks to the local head service tech (nice guy) and also to this board I am proud to say that we will soon have a new exhaust. The gentleman called today to follow up and I asked him to read this thread. He did and although he did not say if it influenced him at all he did call to tell us that he would make it right, and by george I believe he will do it.

Now if only I could convince him to get Lincoln to pay for a Kenne Bell then life would be grand.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:27 PM
Well we got the new cat-back on and it seems great. Noise is gone for now and hopefully forever. I also had them flush the tranny and the usual oil and filter plus fuel filter change. I also had Discount Tire rotate and balance (we have 35k) and it feels great. The local guys at the dealership have done a nice job. I will be sending them a letter of thanks soon.

Quick Reply: 2004 Expy Muffler Gurgle Noise.