Expedition / Navigator

99 Expy went POW - Air Suspension Died!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 99 Expy went POW - Air Suspension Died!

Well - finally after 5 years a rear air bag died on me today (luckily after returning yesterday from a vacation in the mountians). Searched the internet and found a complete spring replacement for the Air Suspension. The local alignment/suspension shop said I'd be lucky to get out repairing what I have for around $400 if it was just the one bag in the back that died... then I'd wait around for the other side or front to go on me... The new spring replacement claims no cutting or welding - just bolts into the factory locations. So no more worries about the Air suspension dying on me.... I'll post pictures and updates to come. The package front and rear cost me $500 and it should be here on Friday to get to work.

Updates to come!

Later
FF

Old 09-16-2004, 01:11 AM
A replacement bag is only like $99.

I like the load leveling feature, but I tow a heavy boat at times so your use may be different.

These guys have fair prices on air suspension stuff for our trucks:
http://www.suspension-alternatives.c...on-System.html

Not sure if you checked them out or not.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Actually that is where the replacement kit is from.... I should explain why I'm switching over... I also believe the fron air struts are weak or have issuses of their own too... the truck has not ridden close to new for the last 15K miles and it only has 60K on it. I've replaced tires... switched wheels with another Expy, and everything and I cannot get the smoothness it had before... so I'm hoping this will fix it. And around where I live the only places that will work on the air suspensions are the dealers... and they love the $$ and only use Ford parts... (yes I live in Ohio). So I figured I could replace this out myself and see how it goes... if it's mechanical I'm ok.... besides if this would have blew 24 hours earlier I'd be stuck in the Mountains in Gatlinburg, TN - not that is a bad thing but it would have been a dealer repair for sure on a vacation. I originally bought it with the LLS because I hauled a Drag Mustang on a trailer... but it has been quite a while since I've pulled anything over 1000 pounds.... so I'm going to go back to coils and see how it goes....

I saw the bags for $99 - but I was worried about the plastic hose kits for the truck from Ford (from the front to back bags) were like close to $200 for a set of plastic tubes....

Thanks for the input though...

FF

Old 09-26-2004, 11:37 AM
OK - the conversion is complete and the total with parts, shipping, and alighnment shop costs... $700.

100% better quality ride. Can't beleive the difference. The front Air struts must have been bad also for some time (even though they never leaked or showed signs of problems). The Expy now rides as well as new again and I love it. The rear springs were easy to install myself (although the rear axle was nearly disconnected from the truck to get them in). The front air struts were replaced with coil over struts (a HUGE pain to install - but worth it when done). Cranked the torsion springs up a little to make it sit right and viola - no more air suspension and a ride that is night and day better. So much better the wife asked why I didn't do it sooner...lol.

The Expy sits as tall and rides almost the same as my brothers 2001 F150 Screw Offroad.

I won't miss the floating feel the old air suspension had at highway speeds. Who would have thought that the air suspension on 99 Expy EB would have died before 60K miles... (and it's always been babied)... just bad luck I suppose. No more worries now though.

Sorry I didn't post pics - just got wrapped up in getting it fixed and then preparing for a 3 year olds birthday party.

Good luck to all who still run the LLS.

FF

Old 10-14-2004, 09:48 AM
FF,
Do you have any pics you could post of the springs installed?
We have a '98 EB w/ LLS. We have had some issues with it.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:05 PM
I can take some this weekend. It's dark already today so it would be kind of hard to see now... it sits very similar to my brother in laws F150 S-Crew Offroad. It does ride a ton better. Appearantly the front Air struts had problems that never threw a code and passed all the tests the local delaer could check. Now just need some Elderbrock rear shocks and I'm in business.

I'll post some this weekend!

FF

Old 10-16-2004, 02:24 PM
Here's the pics...

Rainy day - caught a break between showers to take pics - but the truck is still dirty...lol

Later
FF

Trending Topics

Old 10-16-2004, 02:26 PM
The Coil Over strut front...

And the traditional rear springs (with top adapters).....

Later
FF

Old 10-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Good info, thanks!

Ours is an '00 with the rear LLS/air-ride. Front is coil over struts, though. I replaced all my struts with Bilsteins and the truck rides great (even with lower profile 285/55-18 tires).

But, my wife was out and had a blowout of the stupid plastic lines with the LLS and it stranded her. This was about a year ago. It wasn't an airbag problem, but rather the supply line from the compressor to the air bags... so it just went full droop on her.

Fortunately, we were only about 10 mins from our dealer.

Anyway, I may seriously consider ditching the LLS setup as we do not tow at all, and then I don't have to worry about it ever blowing out on us.

Quick Reply: 99 Expy went POW - Air Suspension Died!